Cleaning Shot Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody hell, this guy recommends pushing the wire brush through 200 times.......per barrell!! He's going to wear the the bloody bores out at that rate!! I probably push mine through half a dozen times max, rotating the brush as I go.

DT
Yeah, I think he says a hundred strokes per barrel (which probably isn't as much as you think) but is probably overkill. Otehr than that, he does go through all the finer points, ejectors and so on.

Yeah, I think he says a hundred strokes per barrel (which probably isn't as much as you think) but is probably overkill. Otehr than that, he does go through all the finer points, ejectors and so on.
I never got that far as I got board. Good vid though if you have never cleaned a gun before.

He deffo says 200 times per barrel though :p

DT

You only have to clean the bores until any fouling has been removed and your patches or kitchen roll come out clean.

Based on my rifle experience this sounds excessive to me unless the gun has not been cleaned for a long time and has excessive fouling deposits.

The solvent needs to be left in to do its work to dissolve lead deposits and then can be helped by the bronze brush then push through with kitchen roll and repeat the solvent, leave, brush and push through until clean.

Blimey 4 parts of video amounting to about 30 minutes on cleaning a gun - I'd lose the will to live :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
You only have to clean the bores until any fouling has been removed and your patches or kitchen roll come out clean.

Based on my rifle experience this sounds excessive to me unless the gun has not been cleaned for a long time and has excessive fouling deposits.

The solvent needs to be left in to do its work to dissolve lead deposits and then can be helped by the bronze brush then push through with kitchen roll and repeat the solvent, leave, brush and push through until clean.

Blimey 4 parts of video amounting to about 30 minutes on cleaning a gun - I'd lose the will to live :eek:
Dead right there Robert, whatever barrel cleaner is used, it is best left to work for a few minutes or so, otherwise it becomes a nightmare and you then also use too much of the stuff, which costs money of course. :)

OK so he goes a bit nuts on the rodding. Other than that, it is an informative video. It takes time to show people stuff when teaching them, so as you know...gun cleaning can take considerably less time.

The OP asked how to clean a gun, now he knows.

Oh dear! will stick to the "must clean my gun this year" and then get home and think sod it will do it next year :)

All you need is a quick squirt of cleaner of your choice and "Juan Sheet".......simples.

id go with Ed's kit...oh and my faithful cordless drill.....stick a rod in the chuck with a bronze brush on it.....spray oil down the barrels and give it a blast with the drill.......all spangly in no time and without the effort! :)   200 repetitions...good grief!!!!

WD-40 gums and attracts powder. The best is Break-Free CLP. I have posted pictures of my uncleanned after 9 years 391 that still shoots  light target loads with no hickups! Don, check them out at the SHOT show, booth 12762. I don't sell the stuff but have used it on everything from pistols and shotguns to military equipment (those I clean!). I will be most of the time at 13156, come by and see us.

HENRY

I clean my auto once a month whether it needs it or not,unless it's got very wet and that's unlikely 'cos I gave up shooting in the rain from choice when I gave up game shooting and working my dog.

I use Legia aerosol these days which cleans very well and lubricates.

Vic.

I clean my auto once a month whether it needs it or not,unless it's got very wet and that's unlikely 'cos I gave up shooting in the rain from choice when I gave up game shooting and working my dog.

I use Legia aerosol these days which cleans very well and lubricates.

Vic.
Me too. Anything else is an unhealthy obsession...

I bung a full length mop through after every shoot and have been using it for 15yrs, works a treat in the high quality beretta barrels might not work as good in lower end stuff like perazzi, kriegoff etc etc :biggrin:

Only joking ......

Latest posts

Back