Choke choice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/4 and 1/4 in my Daytona, will kill anything if I put it in the right place.  I can even hit some of Steve's targets...!

New gun first outing today, not sure what's in it, but I think they're a little tighter.  One day, when I can be arsed, I'll find out, then put 1/4 and 1/4 in it!  B class.

(PS - Tom is bagging C as the moment, but next issue will be bagging B!)

Full and 3/4, everyone tells me I should get them opened out.....

C Class

Going to half and half when I can bring myself to give up my gun for a fortnight to get the work done...but now I have read this...mmmm....

Multi choked gun, change chokes like I change golf clubs, would rather swap chokes than use barrel selector, 1/4 gets most use, don't choke more than 1/2 for sporting, A class.

Half and half fixed. More about leaving my mind alone to shoot rather than twiddle.

There is more adjustment in pattern diameter and density by cartridge choice than can be achieved by choke, so there is still plenty of variety available if I want it. But I don't.

A Class

Choke decisions take less than three seconds, changing them requires 0.001% thought, it can be a great way to disengage from someone trying to talk to you while queuing to shoot...

Fixed half and half, AA sporting, if you want to choke fiddle knock yourself out, I can't be arsed with the extra amount of time it takes to clean the gun with multi chokes and I don't want to be looking at a clay trying to work out if I should use a particular choke.

BUT, its a personal thing, if you want that degree of flexibility then go multi choke, for me I prefer fixed choke.

As for what choke should you use for sporting, well that is whatever you feel confident with, I know a few shooters who have shot a whole round with thread and thread!! And some use full and full, but for mere mortals I would say 3/8 to half would be fine for sporting clays.

Fixed half and half, AA sporting, if you want to choke fiddle knock yourself out, I can't be arsed with the extra amount of time it takes to clean the gun with multi chokes and I don't want to be looking at a clay trying to work out if I should use a particular choke.

BUT, its a personal thing, if you want that degree of flexibility then go multi choke, for me I prefer fixed choke.

As for what choke should you use for sporting, well that is whatever you feel confident with, I know a few shooters who have shot a whole round with thread and thread!! And some use full and full, but for mere mortals I would say 3/8 to half would be fine for sporting clays.
Not sure I want to be a mere mortal...more a shooting goddess please.........

Last edited by a moderator:
There would be nothing wrong with 6.5 for all. I used to use 7's and the kills were fantastic so its very reassuring and offers really good feedback. What you get with these large pellets is a very true flight path and consequently a very tight pattern. With full choke and 6.5, the pattern is likely about the size of a standard clay at 15 yards. It's OK if you are RF!

I've seen inside Fauldsy's cartridge bag (not a euphemism!), and shot skeet with him - he shoots 6.5's!  He likes to see the balls of dust. 

(Not sure if I hate him, or I'm just jealous...)

Shoot full and 3/4 fixed as don't see the point in changing all the time ! Like to see birds smashed not just a small chip ! Like game shooting, shoot to kill not just wing it !

1/2  3/4 fixed  AA. Hit the long right  lopper midi hard on the stratstone with 1/2, with modern shells i reckon 1/2 is about as much as you need really.

My opinion folks.

Latest posts

Back