choke and cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone shoot 1/4 1/4  at esp registered shoots  ?  and what shell do you use  ?    any class wins ?      
I do, with Gamebore EVO 8. I don’t get HG very often, but do occasionally (even last week) but I’m pretty sure I have enough killing power and the problem is me not the tools when I am not up there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I do, with Gamebore EVO 8. I don’t get HG very often, but do occasionally (even last week) but I’m pretty sure I have enough killing power and the problem is me not the tools when I am not up there. 
your a good consistent shot , but do you change choke on the tougher clays ?   

I shoot 1/4 and 3/8 with RC2 8’s, have shot 1/4 and 1/4 but am starting to shoot a few “harder” grounds. Have been known to put a 1/2 on long targets if I’ve time! I did shoot a mates shoot where everything is around your ears, put skeet and skeet in and couldn’t believe the kills! It’s all in the mind. Have had a few class and ladies wins 🤗🤗

I experimented with 1/4 1/4 and 1/2 1/2, my scores were without doubt better with 1/4 1/4, I ended up shooting 3/8 3/8 which I am very happy with but if I had to go back it would be 1/4 1/4

1/2 & 1/2 for me with F Blacks.

I've hit enough long stuff (60/70yrd) with 1/4 and enough close stuff (10/20yrd) with 1/2 to have confidence in either on any ESP layout. Given that I'm not a choke changer, I choose the 1/2 & 1/2  primarily because I've reasoned that I could do with 'the extra advantage' more on the longer targets than the closer ones.

And whilst I've not won anything, that's 100% down to me and not my chokes! 😀

your a good consistent shot , but do you change choke on the tougher clays ?   
No. At the World Champs, there were a few monster targets, where I used a 2.4mm (UK 7) shot just to make sure. These were the sort of target you almost never see on normal reg shoots. I will go 1/2 + 1/2 on certain fibre cartridges   

anyone shoot 1/4 1/4  at esp registered shoots  ?  and what shell do you use  ?    any class wins ?      
I am no expert but I would think that if you are not there or there abouts at the top of the leader board with  1/4 1/4. You will not be there with 1/2 1/2.

At the World Champs, there were a few monster targets, where I used a 2.4mm (UK 7) shot just to make sure.
Personally, I feel that cartridge and shot size makes a bigger difference than what chokes I have in. If, for whatever reason, I started missing everything close in, I'd sooner look to change to 9shot on those targets than start messing with my choke set-up.

Personally, I feel that cartridge and shot size makes a bigger difference than what chokes I have in. If, for whatever reason, I started everything close in, I'd sooner look to change to 9shot on those targets than start messing with my choke set-up.
If for example your using a 1/2 choke in your gun, the pattern size will be the same if your using a 9 shot or 61/2, the choke controls the pattern not the shot size 

If for example your using a 1/2 choke in your gun, the pattern size will be the same if your using a 9 shot or 61/2, the choke controls the pattern not the shot size 
Just not the case at all. Definitely wrong. Larger shot size creates a smaller diameter pattern, because there are fewer pellets to bang into each other and knock the pattern around. We were discussing this before Xmas. 

It is certainly not the case that every cartridge with larger shot is tighter than every cartridge with smaller shot; there are more factors at work, but like for like, more pellets will spread further. 

Just not the case at all. Definitely wrong. Larger shot size creates a smaller diameter pattern, because there are fewer pellets to bang into each other and knock the pattern around. We were discussing this before Xmas. 

It is certainly not the case that every cartridge with larger shot is tighter than every cartridge with smaller shot; there are more factors at work, but like for like, more pellets will spread further. 

It is the case the pattern is controlled by the choke size .... end of 

It is the case the pattern is controlled by the choke size .... end of 
With respect, nonsense. I thought exactly the same when I started shooting. Then I started patterning cartridges. At 15 yards a 7 shot usually makes a circle approx 13” diameter. A 9 shot will usually be nearer 20”. I don’t know why you would think I would make this up. 

With respect, nonsense. I thought exactly the same when I started shooting. Then I started patterning cartridges. At 15 yards a 7 shot usually makes a circle approx 13” diameter. A 9 shot will usually be nearer 20”. I don’t know why you would think I would make this up. 

Your wrong.... but if it makes you happy crack on with your theory.....withdrawn  

I haven’t got same brand cartridges photos to compare, but these were through the same fixed choke gun. 13” and 16” circle sizes and these are similar shot sizes, not 9 versus 6.5.

BD2112F3-351F-415E-B11F-5544924F3746.jpeg

1AB606E2-7794-49C5-BB9D-E94D0CCC0BEE.jpeg

Choke constriction is certainly one of the primary contributing factors to pattern but it is also undeniable physics that smaller, lighter projectiles will disperse at a faster rate than larger heavier projectiles….i.e 9 shot will open up faster than 6.5shot.

That’s the reason I’d change shot size at closer ranges in my hypothetical example, given my reticence to change chokes.

Back