Cast ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigolbear

if this has been asked before apologies 

If a shot gun if given more cast off which way does the point of aim move 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is slightly simplistic but.., Cast only affects the eye position relative to the rib. It would affect the point of aim but only due to misalignment of the eye and rib. Pitch and drop will have more affect on point of aim...

This is slightly simplistic but.., Cast only affects the eye position relative to the rib. It would affect the point of aim but only due to misalignment of the eye and rib. Pitch and drop will have more affect on point of aim...
the reason I ask is I had the fit checked and i'm a little over to the right of the rib so it was suggested a little more cast off to as you say push my eye over the rib we agreed that trying a beretta gell pad to see if it make a difference , so if I have 3mm pad  how far over will the POI move 

Cast off is to the right (right hander).

Cast on is to the left (left hander).

Well it wont, all that will happen now is your eye will be aligned to the rib and therefore your sight pictures will be back to normal. If you have been shooting that gun for a while you might find the picture will be a bit strange. I could go theough the reasons but they are largely irrelavent, basically the point of aim will not be any different...

This is that fishing thing again isn't it? Orvis have got three free workshops running in July if any ladies would like to learn how to cast.

That bad ??
No just a big topic.. See someone who can help you with gun fit and has the time to explain what needs to be considered.
Simplistically from what you say you just want you eye over the middle of the rib. So packing of some sort will do to move it over, only you can judge this from trial an error. A comb raiser will do this but also raise the height of the comb and put your eye higher in relation to the rib. So it will need trimming on top.

I say simplistically. Other things come into play with a lot of cast, on or off, Such as where it sits in the shoulder etc. it is possible to have the eye over the rib with a stock with so much cast it sits out of the shoulder and nearly impossible to use as I've found with some thick combs etc. as I say, speak to someone in person who can see what's the score and advise properly.

Big can of worms and lots of opinions, so sit back and enjoy...

Pssst.....too much cast and the recoil goes across your shoulder area and not straight back.

This will lead to rotator cuff injuries or other shoulder problems.....just saying.

There is more to gun fit than cast. Great example of not being able to help much, because this is a forum and B needs an experienced person looking at the whole set up. My pot-luck forum gun fit quip for today is: Beginners have a tendency to lay their head over on the stock rather than dropping the head forward to the comb. This will put the right eye to the right of the rib (on a rh shooter).

Beware altering stocks before the shooter has got the stance and style fixed.

Right. More tea.

+1

Good coach for lessons....get the basics.....get shooting.....get to understand the feeling of shooting and how to hit a target......BEFORE...you (whoever new shooter it is) tries to decide what is needed.

A new shooter has absolutely no skill set for achieveing or having the head on the stock at the same point each mount.

It will take many many mounts to achieve that.

It will take many more to achieve it after recoil for the 2nd shot.

So get your gun fitter to check it for you...then go with what he says and just shoot it...!!

This is that fishing thing again isn't it? Orvis have got three free workshops running in July if any ladies would like to learn how to cast.
Thats the easy bit,  do they run landing and unhooking sessions too ;)

Mart

Must admit I've now got an image of someone knitting a shooting vest out of baler twine using semi-auto barrels instead of needles fixed in my mind....

Thats the easy bit,  do they run landing and unhooking sessions too ;)

Mart
I think that's their strategy. You learn to cast, they sell you stuff and then you have to come back for more stuff to deal with the results of the first stuff.

Back