Cartridges co-operative?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted a cartridge manufacturer down here about buying cartridges directly from them at their factory, not because I wanted to buy 20k or anything like that I just wanted to be guaranteed a supply of the type I wanted... I got a very polite email saying they would not deal with the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy I know used to get Eley to load small bore shells for him and a group of like minded guys.

It was a great idea in theory -  design a custom load and get it manufactured in limited runs. In practice it was a nightmare for the organiser - he needed the cash up front and confirmed orders, then had to arrange storage and delivery etc etc.

They were fantastic cartridges and I still have a couple of thousand -  but the idea of a cooperative buying arrangement was just too much hassle in this instance.

Yep can be done but takes some organising.

The last 2 years a group of us (7 or 8.) up here in the Rugby area have done it with Armusa cartridges as i am sponsored by them and helped set it up as they wanted a specific set of small gauge cartridges for NSSA skeet.

Takes some effort as its all about ease for the supplier. So single payment upon order and single delivery address. (yes you have to deal with the maximum limit) so we arrange that the are collected by everyone in the group on the day of delivery.

We basically work out how many cartridges we need for the year then bulk order and club together. We get to choose from their entire range and can mix and match at an agreed rate for everyone. So if someone only wants say 1500 they get the same rate as the whole group.

The best economy comes in making sure you fill pallets (1200kg) as shipping "short" pallets is expensive - now you can get about 25,000 12 gauge 28gram cartridges on a pallet but by mixing gauges we have had as many as 28,500 on each pallet.

Now for the HARSH bit - dealers are not making a fortune on cartridges so yes you will save money but your NOT talking hundreds and hundreds by time you take everything into account. We do it for ease as in ensuring that we have the various cartridges we want all year readily available.

Now for the other HARSH bit - by taking the gun shop out the loop and buying direct you impact their sales. Hit those sales too hard and they might not be there when you need them for something else. 

If saving money is the objective then look at reloading but having done this aswell it will give you a huge respect for the quality and quantity of cartridges you buy so easily from your local gun shop.

You need to buy 100k to make any meaningful savings and it's hard finding 50 people wanting to chip in and be prepared to all go to the one address to collect. A much much easier and doable thing would be to organize a protest via social media and get everyone to stop buying overpriced home brew shells selling for upwards of £40 more per thou for the same product. 

Resist Intentional Price Overcharge of Faceless Foreskins AKA the cartridge cartel. 
Totaly agree mate.

If we stopped buying a certain brand of cartridge as competitors , how long do you think it would be before the manufacturer noticed?

Six months ?

I think the cartridge cartel have got us by the short and curlies.

Let us all buy Jocker cartridges from Nevilles of Alfreton @ £145 a thousand .

Fiocchi still seem well priced, 157/1000 for the 5k i got today, Cockett farm will do you 3 quid a thou off it you buy 3k.

I note with interest that my usual supplier of Clever T2's has a price increase of only €8  per thousand to €216 which I think is good ( mary arm went up €28) and they are offering free delivery on orders of 2 thousand or more.  The money off for bulk orders is not great at only €4 per thousand for 5k but €16 per thousand for 15K which is actually not bad... but delivery of more than 2 thousand is free anywhere in France! I might be going back to Clever's as the main reason I stopped was they started charging for delivery.

Fiocchi still seem well priced, 157/1000 for the 5k i got today, Cockett farm will do you 3 quid a thou off it you buy 3k.
I grew up a stones throw from Cockets Farm but haven't been to Farnsfield for 10 years. I still have family in the area, is it worth a visit when I get my licence? I could tie in a trip to my sister's and would make the trek worthwhile! 

At the age of about 12, we used to sneak into cockets grounds from the track behind it and grab unbroken clays, get a friend to throw them in the air and try to hit them with a catapult!

They have plenty to offer, we go a couple of times a year as its a bit of a trek for us.

A local supplier buys 1000,000 at a time to get the best price. He is about £20- £25 a thou cheaper than anywhere else. I think its a full truck load.

" if saving money is the objective then look at reloading but having done this aswell it will give you a huge respect for the quality and quantity of cartridges you buy so easily from your local gun shop."

I don't think reloads are allowed for registered shoots though. Ok for the club shooter or game shooter to reload though.

Fiocchi ARE still very reasonable in price, the only drawback with them is,  what I save on the cartridges I spend on additional cleaning materials  !

As the price of cartridges continues to move up at the local dealers I have been thinking why like minded shooters don't join together and buy in bulk direct from the suppliers? Is is there an issue with the suppliers dealing with individuals at such volume or am I missing something? I noticed recently for for example a discussion regarding the Winchester AA cartridges on here, they just aren't in existence in the UK at the minute but I know many people who would like them back. Any thoughts chaps? 

Liam 
We used to shoot Winchester AA and Remington Peters in the 70's? (memory fails me). They were great shells, why did they disappear. A big plus was that they were compression formed cases with 8 star crimps and as a reloader you could get 5 or 6 reloads out of them before chucking them in the bin.

We used to shoot Winchester AA and Remington Peters in the 70's? (memory fails me). They were great shells, why did they disappear. A big plus was that they were compression formed cases with 8 star crimps and as a reloader you could get 5 or 6 reloads out of them before chucking them in the bin.
My supplier sells Winchester silvers... are they anything like? Not cheap at about €300 per thousand!

I don't think reloads are allowed for registered shoots though. Ok for the club shooter or game shooter to reload though.
They are allowed in NSSA registered skeet - which for the last few years has been my discipline of choice.

You can still get them but they are HUGELY expensive - the Remington .410 will cost you £1 a shell!!!!!

I got into the habit of bringing my empties back from the USA along with a flat of 250 (which just happens to weigh 5kg) and have a few thousand kicking about. None of them loaded more than once so far.

Each bag contains around 400 - the plastic box a few more. 

empties.jpg

Let us all buy Jocker cartridges from Nevilles of Alfreton @ £145 a thousand .
I bought 1500 Jocker they are great.  Hard hitting (if you point the gun in the right place) and very clean.   I hope I can get more.

Back in the day you could go to most any shoot and pick up AA or RP. Many times I returned home with a carrier bag full. Happy days.

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Tapatalk

Jocker cartridges have really taken off down here in SW France where they are made. The company is relatively new since 2011 but the man in charge used to work as MD for another cartridge manufacturer called Solognac. He decided to go out on his own and bought up the Jocker enterprise. He knows what shooters want and understands the need for both quality and economy which at the moment at least is being appreciated by the large numbers of trap shooters down in SW France. It only remains for me to say that the shooters in Britain using Jocker cartridges are getting a good price just now at £145 per thousand I am paying €160 per thousand for the same cartridges which are made only two hours away at most.

Jocker cartridges have really taken off down here in SW France where they are made. The company is relatively new since 2011 but the man in charge used to work as MD for another cartridge manufacturer called Solognac. He decided to go out on his own and bought up the Jocker enterprise. He knows what shooters want and understands the need for both quality and economy which at the moment at least is being appreciated by the large numbers of trap shooters down in SW France. It only remains for me to say that the shooters in Britain using Jocker cartridges are getting a good price just now at £145 per thousand I am paying €160 per thousand for the same cartridges which are made only two hours away at most.
Cooperative opportunity there for sure,Who has a unit?

Back