Cartridge sizes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powenb

I wonder if someone could explain something.

A size 7.5 cartridge in 28g load is considered better for all types of clays.

But a size 9 cartridge the same load is better for skeet.

How does this work when shot size isn't much different but the size 9 has getting on for twice the amount of shot?

Much appreciated.

More shot is by necessity lighter, so not quite man enough beyond close range although where on the target the hits occur and how many hit, does have a bearing. Basically 9 shot is best for close work and bigger shot such as 7.5 best for long range. Don't forget 8's though :wink: .

With Hammy here, an english 8 is a very good compromise, continentals are half a size out ie a conti 7.5 = english 7

Ah thanks.

I also found the Hull Cartridges site interesting as they show shot size/count/recoil plus more.

think of it as a size 9 is a squash ball and a 7.5 a cricket ball. When a squash ball is thrown you cant chuck it as far as a cricket ball, due to the weight it looses speed quicker. Someone chucks 5 squash balls at you at 15 yards more chance of hitting you but wont hurt much, but 2 cricket balls may have a holes in the pattern and miss but hurt like hell when they hit :.:

Hope that makes some kind of sense :huh:

Size 9 is mandated for international skeet to prevent stray pellet breaks - the target has to be hit with the main pattern. It would be an advantage not to use 9s. The Russians used to load 7s over 8s over 9s to greatly extend the shotstring which is why only 9s can be used.

Size 9 is mandated for international skeet to prevent stray pellet breaks - the target has to be hit with the main pattern. It would be an advantage not to use 9s. The Russians used to load 7s over 8s over 9s to greatly extend the shotstring which is why only 9s can be used.
I was talking to a gentleman who was on the jury at an ISSF skeet shoot a few years ago, he was saying how the Russians had different pockets for different cartridges. On further inspection these were found to have square shot in them, just as well it was only a practise round.

Back