Cartridge packaging .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lars, not sure I fully understand your reply,  explosive articles are always classified together with their packaging on the understanding that if you change either you change the risk of transporting them.

so the packaging has everything to do with classification the competent authority will classify the article e.g. 1.4s, 1.4c, etc in the UK that is the  HSE they do that based on the burn test evidence the manufacture supplies.

VCA/UKAS are the packaging side HSE competent authority for classification.

Possibly  the 250/25 became the standard method long before clay shooting became as popular as it is today probably simple due to common sence in the early days but is now the established norm.  

And if a manufacture introduces a new outer box it would need testing by UKSA approved tester which is not cheap to do. Likewise a new cartridge by the HSE but this can be done by analogy.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offence intended but...Seriously a thread about packaging? Are we really that stuck for a cartridge subject we have to resort to a discussion about packaging! What next Christmas wrapping paper? Do you fold it, recycle it, scrunch it up throw it away! Jesus wept!

No offence intended but...Seriously a thread about packaging? Are we really that stuck for a cartridge subject we have to resort to a discussion about packaging! What next Christmas wrapping paper? Do you fold it, recycle it, scrunch it up throw it away! Jesus wept!
Very true, the manufactures try to seduce us with their packaging and all we do is recycle or throw it away but some collect it and it is sold on eBay so perhaps their is a market for last years used Christmas wrapping paper . 

Very true, the manufactures try to seduce us with their packaging and all we do is recycle or throw it away but some collect it and it is sold on eBay so perhaps their is a market for last years used Christmas wrapping paper . 
And i have never got why..... sure from a selling in single boxes of 25 it helps define the brand on the shelf and maybe from seeing one of the top boys / girls throw a box into the bin so people can see what they used to succeed and if that person is crazy enough to think that brand x will make them shoot certain targets etc like them then.....

However,  given that most shooters buy in "bulk" or 250 as a minimum surely there is a case for plain 250 carton / plain 25 box with a simple stamp that defines the contents. Save the design / printing costs and pass it on to the shooter. Might only be a fraction per cartridge.... but it all counts.

Supplier of my cartridges has for a while been selling in cartons of 500 in their small gauge ammunition (20, 28 and .410).

Used to get them in flat 100 boxes from one loader ,which was an improvement ,long gone tho`.

When I started shooting in the 70's the cartridges were packaged in an outer carton of 500. The RC carton was a double length of the current 250 version. Most other manufacturers were double height and then you had Sellior & Bellot in a wooden crate. With cartridges being 36 then 32gms they were blooming heavy to hump about.

Let’s put this in perspective. Every time I buy a sandwich, I get a cardboard box. Every time I buy a cup of coffee I get a cardboar & plastic cup (which is really difficult to recycle). 

I agree that boxes should be recycled and more importantly, easily recycleable, I.e. printed cardboard with no plastic foils, etc. In my experience most grounds recycle all cardboard (cartridge and clays) so they are doing their bit. 

Pack quantities of 25 are convenient when most disciplines are shot in rounds of 25. Imagine having to count out 25 cartridges everytime you walk on to a line!!. 

MTPWA

DT

When I was still reloading I never boxed the things tho I did have a stockpile of boxes if I wanted to do that.  I'd just shovel what looked like enough plus a bit into sturdy bag I have and off to the grounds.  Counting 25 outta the bag never seemed to impose any hardship to me and in the big picture took far less time than boxing would have.  But of course that was consequential to reloading, not buying bulk.

Tell you what I will be very happy when the B...'s start wrapping the cartridges individually in €5 notes :lol:

A few grounds I've been to recently had two bins at the front of the cage for spent shells and a bin at the back for the cardboard boxes.

It may have been like this for sometime as I was throwing my cardboard in the front bins and have only recently noticed my error :oops: .

Cardboard is easily recyclable - if grounds aren't post- sorting their waste, they should.  Plastic cartridges are recyclable too.

It just takes a will.  

1 hour ago, Aris said:

Cardboard is easily recyclable - if grounds aren't post- sorting their waste, they should.  Plastic cartridges are recyclable too.

I'll lend you mine, or a copy of it  !

Last edited by a moderator:
9 hours ago, Aris said:

Thanks for sharing,recycling cases has to be the way forward !

Back