Cartridge companies

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eley are not shot by many competitive shooters anymore they were popular in the 90,s but not now. Express market Supreme's as the best shell but there not world cup is there best shell, but they make more money from supremes because there cheaper to make ( Ask Mr Iddon ) As the cartridges prices have shot up yes it is a case of budget to many but the serious shooters will only shoot what they consider a good shell and gun combination. I myself have gone from world cup at £260 a thou to Rio at £170 a thou I consider the Rio to be as good as World cup as to my shooting standard, shooting top shells does not make you a top shot ! 
If they could tweak the Rio to have a touch less recoil, it would be perfection..

Eley are not shot by many competitive shooters anymore they were popular in the 90,s but not now. Express market Supreme's as the best shell but there not world cup is there best shell, but they make more money from supremes because there cheaper to make ( Ask Mr Iddon ) As the cartridges prices have shot up yes it is a case of budget to many but the serious shooters will only shoot what they consider a good shell and gun combination. I myself have gone from world cup at £260 a thou to Rio at £170 a thou I consider the Rio to be as good as World cup as to my shooting standard, shooting top shells does not make you a top shot ! 
balltrap  we have been here so many times before but you are stating the fact. Of the people who make comment and post on here I am convinced that 99% could not break more targets with the more expensive cartridge if they did not know what they were shooting when it came down to average scores you would not be able to see a statically significant difference and there is a huge differential in cost.

balltrap  we have been here so many times before but you are stating the fact. Of the people who make comment and post on here I am convinced that 99% could not break more targets with the more expensive cartridge if they did not know what they were shooting when it came down to average scores you would not be able to see a statically significant difference and there is a huge differential in cost.

Yes but that was not the question asked was it :angel:

If they could tweak the Rio to have a touch less recoil, it would be perfection..
Summats up with your gun fit Will I have shot RIO's side by side with the full Clever range and they as soft as any of them. I used RIO for practice at the French champs last year and was mega pleased with them and the price on a shooting ground captive market ...€160 about £138 per thousand... a ruddy bargain!

Summats up with your gun fit Will I have shot RIO's side by side with the full Clever range and they as soft as any of them. I used RIO for practice at the French champs last year and was mega pleased with them and the price on a shooting ground captive market ...€160 about £138 per thousand... a ruddy bargain!
I've shot 50,000 of them and they are great. Gun fit is great. No pain or difficulty. But, since moving to my Blaser, they are fine, but I sense the gun "rattle" after a shot. The RIO recoil is quite sudden and brief. I find gamebore velocity feel smoother through it..

Olympic blue then William.
The old olympics used to have a very quick and sudden recoil, which I tend to notice. Maybe I'll try them them, but I always found eley filthy in the barrels too

Haha... dirty barrels, now there's another topic...anyone that thinks you are going to come home with clean barrels after putting 100 x 28gr of lead through them must be living in cuckoo land.

Haha... dirty barrels, now there's another topic...anyone that thinks you are going to come home with clean barrels after putting 100 x 28gr of lead through them must be living in cuckoo land.
Agreed but with Rios, squirt some Napier, leave a while, push paper through and it's smooth and shiny. With Eley you do the same and get left with a coalface in the forcing cones.. just bothers me.. I also binned Eley years ago because even with Superbs, half the propellant flakes didn't burn, but were left jamming up the ejectors. 

Gamebore Velocity are great. Shame they dont make them in 8 shot. Might have to get my skeet chokes out. 

Last edited by a moderator:

cuckoo cuckoo mine are clean :lol: ish

If anyone knows of a regular stockist of the Rio range in the Lancs/Cumbria area I'd love to know?. Currently using Maxam Imperials which seem identical to Rio Targets but when I'm through this batch there's no more.

PM

Very good interesting replies .

Rio, especially Star Team are an exceptional shell.

Will , you are on record as being sensitive to recoil , so no surprise to your comments there then.

But as a Parent company why on Earth would you allow superior cost cutting products to undermine your flagship company sales?

I note Balltrap's comment about Rio versus Express prices. If Rio's do the job it is common sense which product to use , but sadly the greedy cartel don't seem to be listening.

I think Hull Sovereign are very good value at £140 a thousand, but sadly they don't agree .

I can't imagine  someone spending £15k+ on a purdy shotgun and shoots £140 per 1000 cartridges, but I bet they shoot eley zenith cartridges all day long.
I know guys with aircraft worth more than the average house who will bitch about buying a quality avionics battery and blokes with boats that will buy a farm that will scrimp and cut corners on stern glands. Don't get me started on people with £100k vehicles who will drive them through a £3.50 automated car wash rather than pay a few quid more for a decent hand wash with clean water and gear.

It is pretty common actually.

I've shot 50,000 of them and they are great. Gun fit is great. No pain or difficulty. But, since moving to my Blaser, they are fine, but I sense the gun "rattle" after a shot. The RIO recoil is quite sudden and brief. I find gamebore velocity feel smoother through it..

The old olympics used to have a very quick and sudden recoil, which I tend to notice. Maybe I'll try them them, but I always found eley filthy in the barrels too
Funny that change of gun Will has changed things a bit. I let someone who shoots a Beretta 692 shoot my gun the other weekend. He used the same shells he had just used in the previous round. His first comment was how smooth shooting "my gun" was not the shells. He really likes his Beretta but says it is a bad gun for recoil and he has had the gun fitted to him with a new stock to boot ? I have never been a believer that a gun would recoil that much differently while using the same cartridges but something in the geometry of the Perazzi is helping control the recoil? What ever way I have used loads of different cartridges and never really had a problem with recoil except with my Beretta 687 game gun I just put that down to a light gun and 32g cartridges though.

Funny that change of gun Will has changed things a bit. I let someone who shoots a Beretta 692 shoot my gun the other weekend. He used the same shells he had just used in the previous round. His first comment was how smooth shooting "my gun" was not the shells. He really likes his Beretta but says it is a bad gun for recoil and he has had the gun fitted to him with a new stock to boot ? I have never been a believer that a gun would recoil that much differently while using the same cartridges but something in the geometry of the Perazzi is helping control the recoil? What ever way I have used loads of different cartridges and never really had a problem with recoil except with my Beretta 687 game gun I just put that down to a light gun and 32g cartridges though.
The Perazzi is a shade heavier, but I should have explained that it also has a full Recoil Systems damper system, while the Blaser just has a 19mm green pad. So not a fair comparison of gun to gun. The recoil from Rios is not a "problem" but I'm a fussy git and there is just enough for me to think about it after the first shot sometimes.

BTW the standard Blaser recoil pad is the only part of the gun I think is awful. A squashy blob with a rock hard heel that digs you. 

The Perazzi is a shade heavier, but I should have explained that it also has a full Recoil Systems damper system, while the Blaser just has a 19mm green pad. So not a fair comparison of gun to gun. The recoil from Rios is not a "problem" but I'm a fussy git and there is just enough for me to think about it after the first shot sometimes.

BTW the standard Blaser recoil pad is the only part of the gun I think is awful. A squashy blob with a rock hard heel that digs you. 
Yes that bit more weight will deaden the recoil plus the anti recoil system is going to make a big difference.

I've had a few Blasers and they all had more recoil than most brands of O/U shotguns, I was always looking for one with low recoil, I never did find one that had.

If anyone knows of a regular stockist of the Rio range in the Lancs/Cumbria area I'd love to know?. Currently using Maxam Imperials which seem identical to Rio Targets but when I'm through this batch there's no more.

PM

You need to speak to Shreck @ the Dolphin I am sure  he can supply you he is on here send him a pm :wink:

You need to speak to Shreck @ the Dolphin I am sure  he can supply you he is on here send him a pm :wink:
That's good to know. Thanks very much. Had heard of the ground but hadnt realised it was this far north. I've 5 thou Maxam's to use then I'll sort out 5 thou through him and tie it in with a trip down there shooting. Many thanks.

PM.

I was in Malmo Guns on Saturday, where I spoke to Co-Owner, Brian. He was telling me he is trying to keep his cartridge prices at their current level, they have managed to hold them at the December 2016 prices so far. I have been using the Cheddite 24 gram Trap 7.5's, which are currently £177/1000. I find them a superb cartridge and relatively clean. I have not needed any barrel cleaner spraying down the barrels before shoving a brush through anyway.

Back