Budget Cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finito with white gold. Here in Finland they have become 25% more expensive than 3 years ago!?! They were about 200 €/thou and now they are 252. At my home shooting ground we must use steel, so I'll do the basic practise there and perhaps other places too, with steelshot carts costing 150€/thou. When my storage of WG and Hull run out, I'm not sure what will be my choise...

Finnsporting, if you can get Clever Mirage, get some Pro Extra steel...best steel shot clay cartridges I have tried!!!

The difference between those that achieve success versus the also rans, in any sport, all happens in the top 2 inches of the body.

If the use of premium cartridges removes one element of doubt from the mind and allows the focus to be directed elsewhere then that makes premium cartridges a completely worthwhile option.

Only the person that uses the cartridges in question can determine if the difference in cost is worth it.  If it makes enough of a difference in the mind of the shooter and they can afford to pay it then it is completely worthwhile.  I would also argue that if premium cart's make enough mental difference to the shooter then they will make sacrifice elsewhere in order to be able to afford them.

I guess it is the difference between a winning mindset and just performing.

Having said that a lot of people believe that you can buy success through using premium kit, which just isn't true, however if you can afford nice things and it makes you happy then fill your boots.

I have to agree with those clever cartridges though. I only used them once at a 50 bird sporter, I went around all nine stands and ejected the empty cases in all directions, I did have such fun. I then went for a bacon butty and a coffee and re entered the shoot. On EVERY stand I went to, all of those empty cases had found their way into the bins. Now, just how CLEVER was that ????

Tinker bell said:
Back on topic.

If you are starting out, use budget cartridges because you need to get lead in the air.

When you start in first competitions have a bit of experimentation to find one that you like and that you can regularly get hold of.

When you get 'good' and when you are winning big time....I will bet that you are not using budget cartridges any more.

Everything has its place. No serious player would go into a major title event with budget cartridges. Winning at the top end is also a mental game. And yes, Mark did leave 2 special cartridges to go in for the last pair because he said that up to then ..on previous attempt...he had missed the last two because they were 2 slow targets.

No one can tell what 'would' happen in a serious competition if they had shot it, with a different specific cartridge....because that moment has gone....it was shot with the cartridge that was chosen at that time....the shooter may have shot differently with a different cartridge....but no one will ever know because it wasn't.

I would bet that NONE of the serious players would choose to put in a budget cartridge for a serious big money big title shoot. If they ever do.....it might prove that they have balls of steel......or it might prove that they think that they are invincible with whatever they use (because they are naturally great shots)........but would they win...........??

Suppose we will have to wait and see......when one actually does it :wink:
What did they use at the Nad Al last year?   and this year?     

Are they budget cartridges?   

:santa:

Last edited by a moderator:
So what defines a budget cartridge, and a top cartridge? 

Price? capability, materials used?

Prhaps we need to have a testing day at a ground,  

Some fixed clays with certain presesntations, and boxes of unmarked cartridges..

shoot them blind and see what people like  or dislike 

I might see if i can get a slab of F blacks  & blues  and do a couple of rounds at my local straw bailer to see how i do

:santa:

I once spent a lovely daylong lesson at Grimsthorpe with our very own Ed Solomons....due to an admin error I forgot to pick up a fresh delivery of my usual White Gold.

So took everything I had left, including about 200 odd shells, 20 of these, 25 of those, 3 of the other that people had given me, or I had tried over a while. There was a mixture of 7's, 7.5's, 8's - some 24g - all different colours and shapes. 

I am at best an average shot - but with the right coaching, I was getting distance kills through half choke (Ed will verify, 60, 70 yards) without once checking the shell that went in the gun.  I felt some recoil difference, and some were chippy some were smoked - but overall - every shell outperformed me and the gun. 

Not once did I miss, and pull a weird or cheap shell out of the gun...  they were all better than me, and the distance in between the gun and the target. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:fie:  If I could bag up all the bulls*** on here about cartridges I would need a container ship to move it all?

I have no vested interest in any shell company but I would put the £149.95 shells from the Sportsman against any shell in the UK for kills!

:fie:  If I could bag up all the bulls*** on here about cartridges I would need a container ship to move it all?

I have no vested interest in any shell company but I would put the £149.95 shells from the Sportsman against any shell in the UK for kills!
There you go guru everybody has an opinion! I respect your opinion... but you do realise that is someone else's bullcrap :)

Do you think some of it is the placebo effect?

Because your told its a top cartridge capable of kills at extreme ranges, you beileve it?

ive shot some differing brands, and  am starting to build a picture of what shells i like and dislike, and its got sod all to do with kill ability

:santa: x

Tinker bell said:
Mary Arm Extremes (Orange) ...they are cracking...you must try them John. Hit hard a long way out toooooooo.
You may have read it earlier Nik but a very good shot out here recommends Mary Arm Cyrano the white ones. I have tried the black ones I think the are called competition, good but the are very hard on the shoulder and that is my pet hate! The purple are good too but the problem for me is I have to drive a fair distance to buy Mary Arm whereas I can get my Clever's over the net free del. But I have had the recommendation so be assured I will give them a bash at sometime this season. I believe in helping the local business economy and Mary Arm are only a couple of hours from me.

I don't know about shooting 'blind' though, I think that I might just have to keep at least one eye open.

Top Dog, thats a fair challenge, at least you have the guts to try them and then give an opinion! :crazy:

Prehaps thats one for Matt to think about at the SCC 2015

Inviting some of the cartridge manufacturers along to show off there wares / samples / tests ?

:santa: :)

i am not defending the industry but i think they would point out that it takes energy to make them,pretty much all oil related,then oil to transport them ships/trucks so probably the plastic case would be the smallest contribution.

the price still should have come down but market forces dictating...people keep buying cartridges means they never will significantly.

bet they go up again within months of an oil price rise though :mad:
Also the price of lead has dropped significantly I believe, but like oil takes forever to reach the consumer, but can go up over night!

Back