browning maxus

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danq

hi all

thinking of trading my my b325 in for a browning maxus.  heve found a few complaints on the net about the maxus. does anyone on the forum have any experience. i am currently shoting a beretta al 391 teknys which i fiend very good and have not had ay problems with .  dont want to buy a trouble gun,lifes too short

cant i am afraid i have spondulosis in the c spine and cant take the wack any more. the al 391 is a lot softer but reading about the maaxus it is supposed to be the softest recoil ever? who knows

cant i am afraid i have spondulosis in the c spine and cant take the wack any more. the al 391 is a lot softer but reading about the maaxus it is supposed to be the softest recoil ever? who knows
I managed to get this off Browning website : 

The Softest Shooting Autoloader Ever

Felt recoil is more than just an instantaneous peak force; it is the total energy absorbing experience when you fire a shell. While no recoil reduction system can escape the laws of physics, the Maxus will change your mind about recoil control. The Power Drive Gas System, Inflex Technology recoil pad, back-boring and natural Browning balance combine to transfer up to 18% less total felt recoil force to your shoulder than other autoloaders on the market.

The latter part of the sentence is just jibberish, actual recoil is essentially down to weight of gun coupled to speed and weight of ejecta (cartridge), the semi mechanism acts as an unintentional buffer system too hence why they feel smoother compared to similar weight OU guns. Fit is important too but a different subject. I have shot most semi's on the market and the softest is this or others in the same stable : http://gundata.org/details/gun/397/shotguns/beretta-a400-xcel-parallel-target-kick-off/ I would buy one myself but for the raised rib. If you truly need to lower the fatigue/recoil then you need to consider getting one with a mechanical reducer incorporated in the stock, this is another worth considering https://www.remington.com/shotguns/autoloading/model-1100/model-1100-competition-synthetic but in pure reliability and spares terms the Beretta is likely to be the better bet. 

Keep the Browning and use a PFS. No need to learn to shoot a new gun, recoil reduced to nothing and it's more e adjustable than you'll ever need.

Also look at the Recoil Systems ISIS, recoil reducer.

Can be fitted in the stock of an auto, or could be fitted to the 325.  About a grand cheaper than a PFS...but not a grands less recoil reduction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Maxus when they 1st came out, well two actually - a 30" Maxus is a very long gun (because the receiver action is much longer than a conventional gun and it wouldn't fit in the cabinet) so that went back and it was replaced by a 28" version.

In truth it's a good gun, but for me anyway, I found the clunking/clanking of the ejection of the spent case and the chambering of the second cart deeply unsatisfying and whilst I could shoot fairly well with it and was intrigued by the technology most times I'd skip it and take the OU instead so I sold it.

To be fair I was warned by several seasoned shooters and my local gun shop that Semi-autos are often bought, kept for a few months and sold again when the novelty wears off.  Add to that the distrust other shooters have of them generally and having the spent shells ricochet off the cage frame/walls and either having to leave a mess behind or pick up the empties each time that an OU remains massively more appealing.

I've drawn the conclusion that owning a semi is part of the evolution of learning to shoot, an itch that needs to be scratched.  If you can resist the temptation then give the idea a miss.

I had a Maxus when they 1st came out, well two actually - a 30" Maxus is a very long gun (because the receiver action is much longer than a conventional gun and it wouldn't fit in the cabinet) so that went back and it was replaced by a 28" version.

In truth it's a good gun, but for me anyway, I found the clunking/clanking of the ejection of the spent case and the chambering of the second cart deeply unsatisfying and whilst I could shoot fairly well with it and was intrigued by the technology most times I'd skip it and take the OU instead so I sold it.

To be fair I was warned by several seasoned shooters and my local gun shop that Semi-autos are often bought, kept for a few months and sold again when the novelty wears off.  Add to that the distrust other shooters have of them generally and having the spent shells ricochet off the cage frame/walls and either having to leave a mess behind or pick up the empties each time that an OU remains massively more appealing.

I've drawn the conclusion that owning a semi is part of the evolution of learning to shoot, an itch that needs to be scratched.  If you can resist the temptation then give the idea a miss.
A good and honest summation but in cases where recoil reduction is the main aim the right set up can be a godsend. The cluncking is off putting but ultimately if needs must you can get used to it, as regards shells flying around it's true, especially so when they bounce off the stands sides but even that can be cured if there's the will because there are custom shell catchers out there. 

thanks for all the input and info its very interesting and helpfull, also offers a few more options. i have been shooting for over 50 years and love the 325 which is still tight in the action. but as i said the whack is just too much for my neck. i intend to keep on shooting as long as i can so will have to compromise somewhere along the line.

thanks al

Basically, a revamped Gold, which was a gun that just didn't hold up.  As others have mentioned, keep what you have!

Jb

Latest posts

Back