Browning 725 Black Edition - Alternatives?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Pinnegar

I currently shoot a browning 525 which I have got on quite well with (last weeks outing to Weston Woods aside!).

I have lusted over the 725 Black Edition for a while now; I was able to put 50 shells through one on Saturday and liked the fit a lot. Sadly it was only on one stand and I couldn't try a variety of targets. The nice wood and more fitted grip really felt nice, my only complaint was that the palm swell might be a touch too big for my hands but we are talking microns.

I have no doubt that it would stand up to anything I threw at it as I only put 100-200 shells a week through my gun. I was just curious if there were any alternatives I should consider at that price point? I believe second hand they are 2-2.2k and new 2.2-2.5k

The more fitted stock/grip would be an essential. The 525 seems a bit plain after shooting with the 725!

Last edited by a moderator:
At £2.5k you have a pretty big choice! Try as many guns as you can get your hands on, have fun choosing!

As Les said - you have a pretty big choice. One thats well worth a look is a grade 5 Miroku MK38

I agree, but for goodness sake don't buy a new one. There are loads of used ones out there for a grand less than that. I saw a 32ins Gd5 trap sold for £1300 the other day and the woodwork was immaculate. Bargain!

If you are open to other makes....try a CG Invictus. I had a 725 for a while and ended up going back to a MK38 Sporter, but after trying my son's CG I was very impressed.

I'm certainly open to other makes. I like the idea of the black action and more fitted grip. 

I would love a Blaser F3 but the second hand ones in that price bracket seem to be a tad ropey.

CG do a Summit with a black action. The hand is really well shaped (I find) and has slight palm swell too. But as Wylye says, do see if you can track down a used one. Remember CG's come with ten year warranty so going used should not be an issue.

Having said that, I do rather like the 725 :lol:

I didn't suggest for one moment that he should go out and find a CG. I was referring to a Miroku Gd5 trap gun for goodness sake! A vastly superior gun on all counts in my opinion.

I have I blaser f3 and love it but you are right. There is not a great deal to be had for 2.5k. 

When I was looking at guns before I settled on the blaser. I did have a good look at the CG summit. I liked it a lot more than the 725 black. Almost got the summit but really wanted the blaser so saved up a few more pennies (took out a loan) ?

no point point buying a gun if you've got your heart if set on another. You'll regret it. 

Ok this is just my personal opinion, but for about £2.5k, a grade 5 Miroku is pretty much without equal.

I have had a 725 black action gun now for about 2 years. No problems with it and handles really well. I like the narrow action compared to the Miroku guns I have had.

I must agree with the comment on here earlier, it is very close to handling and balance like a Beretta. I shot a DT10 prior to the 725, I know it is a big difference, but the 725 swings as smooth but with less weight to cart about.

There are some good used 725 guns out there, but as Wylye says some great used Miroku's also. If you are going to shoot clays seriously, my choice is 32 inch tubes.

The only down side of the 725 is getting 3/8 and 5/8 chokes (which I prefer). No UK supply. I had to get them from US as I wanted original Browning chokes.

Don't rush into buying a 725 until you have tried a few other makes, but in my opinion the 725 will always handle better than the 525 you have already.

Good luck

If you are getting on quite well with the 525 why change it , when you miss a target you have missed it not the gun 

I didn't suggest for one moment that he should go out and find a CG. I was referring to a Miroku Gd5 trap gun for goodness sake! A vastly superior gun on all counts in my opinion.
No, but you did suggest going used rather than new, which I agreed with. I simply added the option of a CG to the mix......... for goodness sake! As for which gun is better, that would be the OP's choice surely?

No, but you did suggest going used rather than new, which I agreed with. I simply added the option of a CG to the mix......... for goodness sake! As for which gun is better, that would be the OP's choice surely?
Stop calling me Shirley!

Back