British open sporting scores

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally as a B class shooter I thought this was a great shoot! We started at 13:00 on the first day and finished at 16:15. I've shot many 100 birders that have taken longer. The targets in my opinion were just right, all very hittable and no real eyesight tests or silly distances in fact I was expecting it to be harder knowing Steve's reputation. I came away happy with my 78 in B and thought I could have scored mid eighties but probably no more, I managed to straight a stand and came close on two others so overall very happy. The only thing that let it down for me is that it just didn't 'feel' like a major event it was more like a bigger standard registered event, didn't see too many trade stands, in fact couldn't even find the pool shoot but that was my problem. Overall a great shoot but lacking in atmosphere and 'big event' vibe.

Well done Steve and don't forget we are short of top quality registered grounds in Lancashire if you are up for a new venture and pass on my regard to Alison as I didn't manage to say hello? Hope to get down to Westfield again soon.

I looked at the scores before I shot this today and assumed it would be harder than it was. I thought it was a pretty good layout and was shooting to my average (75%) until the last few stands when I faded a bit. Ended up with 86 after dropping 11 on the last 3 stands (13-15). I'd have been happier with a 90 which I felt was achievable for me today.

I think Clynt's summary is spot on. The targets were right for a major, they have to be challenging, the 'class' averages were there to be shot, you just had to turn up with your head on, on the day. Unfortunately I left my head in the boot of the car.

I agree other aspects of the shoot could be improved upon. That's not a criticism, just my personal view. It's a valid comment that could be made of a number of 'majors' I have shot this year.

My vote for 'Best Organised Shoot of 2014' goes to the Essex Masters, now that was Slick.

People will always moan if they don't shoot there normal average that they shoot week in week out

When there are b and c class shooters shooting 15% above the cut offs for there respective classes at some shoots, it's a bit of a shock to the system when the shoot is set to be a true average by someone who knows what he's doing.

As Jem said, shoot around the top of the cut of for your class, and you won't be far away at any properly set up major.

This is the BRITISH OPEN for Christ sake, not some Mickey Mouse dustbin lid shoot

last day coming up today 

i never saw that 116 coming brilliant , so i could have made it harder then ???

mr deershooter you obviously know sweet fa about setting up clay shoots especially major ones , firstly though yes you are quite right about done to a price but the fee the cpsa pay us is £35 inc vat as for not putting much thought in you are clueless , i spent £4500 on lifts to get height to the ground , most for this price would have just chucked them off the floor , its taken two weeks work to get the event to a starting point, up at 5 am in the morning travelling 2 hrs there and getting back at 9 pm , so dont give me the bollox about time and effort 

as for averages you dont know me because if you did you would know i dont give a flying f**k about them , good targets are more important , so you couldnt hit them , well i suggest lessons or back to normal club sunday shoots 

i have had great feedback on this from everyone beginners to world champions this is 15 stands of good quality and if you are not on the ball it will punish you big style , it is after all the oldest and most respected championship in the uk, or used to be anyway 

steve

I've read various comments on here the last few days and I'm going to put mine in ! Me and my lad Sam shot it on Friday and really enjoyed the experience of shooting in a 'major' . As relative novices we knew we were going to struggle and were prepared for that but aimed to enjoy the experience and to see what the required standard is. If we ever improve enough . Our impressions were : The course and variety of targets were clearly set up by someone with a great deal of experience . We had a really good day and honestly shot at targets we had never encountered anywhere before . That stand at the end of the pond complex , 4 was it ? That left to right midi for instance . Each stand was different and required a good bit of thought on how to shoot it . It took 3.5 hrs to get round but it didn't seem that long because we only really queued behind the squad in front . I know there will inevitably be people that have a bit of a moan , which is a shame . But from our viewpoint the shoot was top draw . We also thought the bacon / sausage rolls were 'proper ' too . Incidentally Sam played a blinder on the White Gold challenge and got through on silver , so he's well chuffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This was a testing shoot as Clynt said for anyone who has not experienced Westfield or Windrush and in fact Longridge. Three C class shooters in my squad got destroyed but still enjoyed it, which says a big thumbs up to how the targets were presented.

I shot my biggest score in a major on Saturday with a 91 and I am a very average A class shot. One week on fire then the next in a pile of rubble.

One thing I would like to second on what Clynt said was the queues, but on top of that, was the noise from squads waiting. Referees having to turn round whilst your shooting to tell people to shut up.

I had dropped 15 targets out of my first 80 with no major queues or trap breakdowns, then dropped 14 out of the last 40 targets when we hit the queues and delays, plus noisy crowds.

Some of the misses were down to my poor ability but some were dropped due to things happening behind me.

As for punters saying it was too hard, yes it probably was if you had not shot any of Steve's standard registereds before. But the targets were brilliant in my opinion and good use of the terrain. Why couldn't we have seen the same standard at the English Open?

I hope the Gamebore Gold Cup has the same testing targets.

Stew

Well I finally shot the sporting today, like I said in my earlier post I found the sportrap hard but enjoyable. For the sporting I found it a very good shoot, one of the best I have shot. As far as averages go I was 2 below my average at the moment and above the cut off for the class above so no complaints there.

So for what it's worth I found the sportrap a tad too hard and the sporting just perfect.

Like I have said before please me and upset someone else, please someone else upset me welcome to the world of sporting I guess...

AA mate of mine shot this yesterday and scored 95, reckons he dropped about fifteen or more off a handful of hard stands but said the targets were very good with a few at good range. He said his only complaint was the lack of water availability.

The only reason it's 120 birds is so the ground can have more money, you cannot shoot 120 birds at DTL Skeet Ball trap or any other discipline .The CPSA rape the cash for this offering the ground less than a standard birds only price I bet the ground didn't get £26 per round out of your £55 entry fee . It should be 15 stands 100 birds with some stands 3 pair some stands 4 singles full use of the gun.

This would cut down the waiting and reduce the shooting times .

I feel the shoot in General was put on to a price rather than a standard with no seating no water stop or refreshment apart from a piece of Mellon very little thought put in .

The CPSA should be ashamed

Just let me know how the "CPSA is the future of our sport "

Deershooter
Actually the reason it IS 120 targets is to make sure any queuing is kept to a minimum, when you have a shoot with 3 AND 4 pairs you create natural bottlenecks. As for blowing smoke up Mr Lovatts arse, well trust me when I say shooters give praise were its due and criticise when necessary. I have been shooting for nearly 20 years on and off and the sporting course was spot on for a major, there wasn't a single target I thought was poorly thought out or set up to beat the gun by sheer speed and/or distance.

When I read your posts It makes me think you may be pursuing the wrong hobby or discipline, you should also be careful of your facts when criticising the grounds, course setter or CPSA. But apart from that have a nice weekend...

Back