Bring your insurance cover

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehb102

I've been invited to a simulated game day on Wednesday. I got an email asking that I bring gun, cartridges, licence and BASC/CLA/CA insurance details. Well, I don't have any of those. I have my CPSA membership.

Off I trot to the CPSA website to download a copy of the insurance certificate. Unfortunately, the certificate is not currently available. They changed insurers yesterday. 

Okay, these things happen. I ring CPSA headquarters. I explain my situation and get put through to the person who deals with insurance. Person who deals with insurance says well, you can't have a certificate. We haven't got one. 

Oh, I say. What do I do then? Show them the webpage he says. You are insured, you have a membership card, those two together will have to do. I'm giving a  C- here for manner. I could have done with far more "I'm awfully sorry to inconvenience you, let me do whatever I can to make this work for you" instead of "Like it or lump it, I'm not doing anything." 

I don't relish arriving at a shoot and being unable to produce a recognisable insurance document. A print-out.of a web page isn't really something I'd be keen to believe if I were dealing with guns and I don't want to end up presenting that to someone who isn't used to the vagaries of the CPSA. So I call the representative of the insurance company listed on that web page who is as nice as pie and very willing to help. I have been promised a certificate by email tomorrow, or at the very least a formal-looking document that will stand in place of such a thing. 

The one thing that I have my CPSA membership for is insurance cover. The one time in 10 months I want to show proof that I am insured the CPSA are at best unhelpful. So I don't shoot registered competitions, the CPSA coaches are unregulated and sometimes of incredibly dubious quality, the CPSA head office are continually unhelpful and the one member benefit I use is not a priority to them. How low does this organisation have to go before it has a culture change?

Oh, and whilst I'm bothering to post about the CPSA, when I was at the ladies' shooting conference a month ago BASC and CPSA both did promotional "goody bags". BASC gave out reusable cotton bags with a current copy of the magazine, a licence holder, helpful guides to shooting, game cooking pamphlets and a sweet notebook and pencil set. The CPSA gave out November's Pull! magazine and a biro. Even the plastic bag wasn't useful, and looked laughable compared to Hull's amazing quality carrier bags. It was embarrassing. I wonder how much else BASC do better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It would make a lot of sense if both CPSA and NSRA membership cards had a statement along the lines of "The member has the benefit of a comprehensive shooting insurance policy inclusive of third party liability cover for the period covered by the membership - details of which may be obtained from CPSA/NSRA or as described on the website"

ehb102,

Ha ! ha! See what two days in Newport Shropshire does for you, you sound just like me , slagging off the CPSA .

ehb102,

Ha ! ha! See what two days in Newport Shropshire does for you, you sound just like me , slagging off the CPSA .
Ha! Technically, it was Worcester. I made it up to Wolverhampton to visit Ed but most of the time I was a little further South. 

It's not slagging though. It's a simple reporting of the facts as I see them. That's important because if I'd read stories like mine when making my decision I would have gone elsewhere.

I just take my membership card.

Anyone worth their salt in shooting knows you're covered by the insurance provided to the membership.

I have never printed insurance off for shooting in my short but varied shooting career.

Sent from my mobile that's my excuse for typos and errors.

I just take my membership card. Anyone worth their salt in shooting knows you're covered by the insurance provided to the membership. I have never printed insurance off for shooting in my short but varied shooting career. Sent from my mobile that's my excuse for typos and errors.
Well, good for you. However, that's not really the point. If a shoot sends me the request I should come with insurance they presumably have a reason for it. If technically I don't need such a proof to shoot there, I should still be able to provide it because I paid for it. Heck, I should be able to see the certificate for my own peace of mind now I'm shooting in places that aren't gun clubs.And what happens when I run into people who would by your definition not be "worth their salt"? No, it's my certificate and when I get a copy it's going in with my licence (which I know I don't have to have on me either, but I will because they asked).

Ehb....it normally comes out with your membership card or renewal.

I have to some time produce proof of insurance in different parts of the world and all I take are the BASC, SCTA and Cpsa cards.

It is known that if you have an up to date membership card....then you are covered. If that helps.

I just take my membership card. Anyone worth their salt in shooting knows you're covered by the insurance provided to the membership. I have never printed insurance off for shooting in my short but varied shooting career. Sent from my mobile that's my excuse for typos and errors.

Well, good for you. However, that's not really the point. If a shoot sends me the request I should come with insurance they presumably have a reason for it. If technically I don't need such a proof to shoot there, I should still be able to provide it because I paid for it. Heck, I should be able to see the certificate for my own peace of mind now I'm shooting in places that aren't gun clubs.And what happens when I run into people who would by your definition not be "worth their salt"? No, it's my certificate and when I get a copy it's going in with my licence (which I know I don't have to have on me either, but I will because they asked).
Go for it.

I don't really understand your issue is.

You are getting what you want but a day later than you wanted?

Sounds like you have issues with the CPSA so don't renew your membership if you are that unhappy with insurance and free bags handed out.

Best you get the printed copy you're after show it at this sim day you're going and enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny enough and talking of which....I got mine today and guess what was with it....same as always....the insurance document. (Although out of date :laugh: )

Now Cpsa might change insurers anytime during the year but it will not affect you...your card is your proof of membership...and all members are insured.....simples. I am sure any shoot will be happy with your card as proof.

I have not read all the responses as I am just popping in....but best not to get too complicated with what is really a simple thing.

I can assure you that the Cpsa would not leave anyone uninsured.

post-17-0-94704400-1378211195.jpg

post-17-0-90031200-1378211209.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
I have not read all the responses as I am just popping in....but best not to get too complicated with what is really a simple thing.

I can assure you that the Cpsa would not leave anyone uninsured.
No, I'm okay with that. It's a bit like having a shotgun license. You don't HAVE to have it with you all the time, but sometimes it's easier just to show it and get on with things. 

Insurance certificate has not yet appeared. 

Ehb....it normally comes out with your membership card or renewal.

I have to some time produce proof of insurance in different parts of the world and all I take are the BASC, SCTA and Cpsa cards.

It is known that if you have an up to date membership card....then you are covered. If that helps.
EHB, My renewal date is in february so not recent, within the renewal was the insurance document, so in effect I'd assume that CPSA have already sent to all and sundry what you were asked for by the shoot.

As for dealings with CPSA, always had first class service etc, sorry to hear in your case that was not so.

EHB, My renewal date is in february so not recent, within the renewal was the insurance document, so in effect I'd assume that CPSA have already sent to all and sundry what you were asked for by the shoot.
As I said before, that one is now out of date and the new one is not yet issued.

As for dealings with CPSA, always had first class service etc, sorry to hear in your case that was not so.
There's a thread around here from February detailing the experience I had with a CPSA coach and Head Office's response.

On this forum I am probably the most representative person of the majority of the CPSA members - I don't compete, but I learn and I shoot - and whilst you have to be in the know to grumble about how the sport is run, using the website to find a coach and having your insurance documents is about the minimum you can expect the CPSA to deliver in a reasonable fashion. Unfortunately, they don't even do that.

The certificate never arrived BTW. I had to ring the place I was going and sort it out with them. Luckily they were understanding and would work with me. 

Back