Both eyes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot one eye closed ,I close my left eye as soon as I pick the clay up .if you stop trying both and stick with the one method eye closed you will be surprised

How quick your subconscious takes over and you won't even think about it .

I see shooting with one eye closed when there's no need to be just impeding yourself as you loose some peripheral vision and depth/distance. That said if it's a slow close rabbit then I may have to 'rifle' it so will sometimes close my left eye otherwise I tend to miss in front of that type of target. So I say I don't like the idea but it does have it's place in the tool bag I suppose.

The way you describe it is exactly how I see it. I had similar inconsistent results when I changed to shooting with both eyes. And my problem was the stock was too low. When shooting one eyed, because you focus on the barrel you compensate and slightly lift your head. However with both eyes you don't see it. And left eye takes over.
This ^^^

You may already know this, but; if your comb is too low, then on some presentations, (or if you have an inconsistent mount) your eye behind the rib, drops behind the action, impairing its view.  This forces your brain to swap to the other eye and a miss (usually) results.

This ^^^

You may already know this, but; if your comb is too low, then on some presentations, (or if you have an inconsistent mount) your eye behind the rib, drops behind the action, impairing its view.  This forces your brain to swap to the other eye and a miss (usually) results.
+1

Well lots of good advice here, but i'm thinking I probably need a decent instructor to take a look at me and how I shoot. I really want to try and shoot both open so willing to persivere with it with some tuition. I've been told my gun fits me pretty well so don't think it's a comb problem. The next issue is whether to shoot gun up or down! That combined with the eye issue is getting me in a bit of a pickle and even though I'm hitting plenty of targets I feel my style is a bit all over the shop. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun up or down? Both would help. I only shoot gun up at going away, DTL type targets - if needed. It just gives you another string to your bow, so to speak.

You don't stand in a hide or on a peg with your gun in your shoulder waiting for a pigeon/game bird to fly over now do you.

It does however take longer than 5 mins to acquire a good consistent gun mount if shooting gun down.

As for both eyes open, again with me, it depends on the target if i have to squint my left eye of not.

Everyone is different and its what suits you and your style best.

Well lots of good advice here, but i'm thinking I probably need a decent instructor to take a look at me and how I shoot. I really want to try and shoot both open so willing to persivere with it with some tuition. I've been told my gun fits me pretty well so don't think it's a comb problem. The next issue is whether to shoot gun up or down! That combined with the eye issue is getting me in a bit of a pickle and even though I'm hitting plenty of targets I feel my style is a bit all over the shop. 
Don't listen advice on gun fit check it yourself. Mount the gun with both eyes closed on imaginary clays coming from all directions and each time open your right eye ( assuming you shoot right handed)  make sure you are looking down the centre of the rib and can see the bead every time.

Latest posts

Back