Both eyes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbob

I know this is a boring well trodden topic, but I'm having trouble deciding how to move forward trying to continue shooting with both eyes open. Shot casually a few times a year always with one eye closed, but after getting my own gun 15 months ago and having proper lessons I've been trying to shoot with both eyes open. It's been a real mixed bag of success, some targets I have no problem, but certain targets I just can't hit for toffee with both open. I do find if I close one eye a few seconds before I take the shot I am able to focus and hit the target.

My worry is that I'm all over the shop with this technique and may slip back into the bad habit of always closing one eye. I know with one closed I have to try really hard not to focus on the bead and barrels. One instructor told me to carry on with one eye closed, but another has said I need to try with both open and persevere with it. 

I've got my first registered comp coming up next weekend so am concerned I'm going to waste time experimenting with eye closed, eye open instead of concentrating on hitting the target. 

If you can hit the target shutting one eye then do it, there are a few of us that do. There is no hard fast rule, shoot how you shoot best, not how others want you to shoot.

I use a eye patch while shooting as I can't shoot with both eyes down the barrels,while using the eye patch my shooting and scores have improved ten fold,even won my first shoot with a high gun of 96!

If you can't shoot with both eyes open then it would be better to use an opaque patch that lets light reach the eye that is obscured by the patch as this means that your right eye will tire less than it otherwise will if the blinder lets no light through.  No doubt Ed Lyons will confirm this.  The sort of patch I would use would be made out of milk bottle plastic which is the same sort of material that I use as a blinder when pistol and rifle shooting!  If you wear shooting glasses then have an opaque lens fitted for the non-shooting or non-dominant eye or smear some vaseline over the lens so your eye will benefit from the light but won't confuse your sight picture. 

I shoot one eye but pick up most of my targets with both eyes and then close an eye.  I can't shoot two eyes open and I am not willing to torture myself in the hope that I might be able to shoot with two eyes one day.  I am still getting better and better.  It's a well debated topic that's for sure ?

One eye shut and hitting them has to be better than two open and missing. After today's performance, both eyes shut certainly doesn't work as I think that's what I must have been doing consistently .........

Thanks for the replies all. I don't think it's an eye dominance issue, as a couple of people have checked that. I totally see why both open is the way to go, but if it doesn't work for me then won't beat myself up over it. I will continue to experiment on my next practice rounds though, but for the comp I think I'll stick to closing one eye just before I pull the trigger. I'm apprehensive enough about fluffing my first comp without over complicating things any further. 

Thanks for the replies all. I don't think it's an eye dominance issue, as a couple of people have checked that. I totally see why both open is the way to go, but if it doesn't work for me then won't beat myself up over it. I will continue to experiment on my next practice rounds though, but for the comp I think I'll stick to closing one eye just before I pull the trigger. I'm apprehensive enough about fluffing my first comp without over complicating things any further. 
Try just to enjoy it and if shut eye is getting you the hits then accept it.

If you're not cross shoulder/eye dominant then there is little reason as to why you shouldn't be able to make two eyes open work. In fact some adapt perfectly well even when having to shoot from the wrong shoulder so to speak. Were you a rifle shooter before taking up shotguns ? That's a common hurdle they seem to have to overcome when taking up moving target shooting. 

not sure if i missed this bit, but which targets are you missing? is it specific ones? right to left crossers for instance?

If you can hit the target shutting one eye then do it, there are a few of us that do. There is no hard fast rule, shoot how you shoot best, not how others want you to shoot.
What TipTop said.... they won't score you extra for both eyes, there are no points for style. 

not sure if i missed this bit, but which targets are you missing? is it specific ones? right to left crossers for instance?

hard to put a finger on it as it the whole thing is very inconsistent, some weeks I do better than others. At the moment my method is to try with both open on all stands and if I keep missing on a particular stand then I close one eye to see if that improves the situation. I find with both open I'm more or less pointing and shooting in the direction of the clay without focusing on the bead or barrel, but this is with mixed results. With one eye closed I have a more focused picture of the clay in relation to the barrels but find it's very easy to look too much at the gun instead of the clay. Maybe I need another lesson to try and sort this out.

hard to put a finger on it as it the whole thing is very inconsistent, some weeks I do better than others. At the moment my method is to try with both open on all stands and if I keep missing on a particular stand then I close one eye to see if that improves the situation. I find with both open I'm more or less pointing and shooting in the direction of the clay without focusing on the bead or barrel, but this is with mixed results. With one eye closed I have a more focused picture of the clay in relation to the barrels but find it's very easy to look too much at the gun instead of the clay. Maybe I need another lesson to try and sort this out.
The way you describe it is exactly how I see it. I had similar inconsistent results when I changed to shooting with both eyes. And my problem was the stock was too low. When shooting one eyed, because you focus on the barrel you compensate and slightly lift your head. However with both eyes you don't see it. And left eye takes over.

My worry is that I'm all over the shop with this technique and may slip back into the bad habit of always closing one eye. I know with one closed I have to try really hard not to focus on the bead and barrels.
I've removed the bead from my gun and I think it helps overcome this problem I certainly do'nt miss it not being there

I also shoot using only my left eye, i tried using both eyes but could´nt hit a thing.

Just shoot using what suits/works for you. When you accept that you can only hit the clays using one eye and stop thinking that you should use both then you will start to hit a lot more. Just look at the clay and not the gun and don´t think about it.

This works for me . :smile:

You probably have an intermittent eye dominance issue.  I'd go to a magic dot, placed on the non dominant eye, making it difficult for that eye to take over.  Remember, it's not an eye issue, it's a brain issue and fairly common once someone gets past around 40 years old. I see it all the time. 

Back