Bluing on a 725 Pro Sport

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it odd that 3 semi's I have [Franchi, Remy and Mossberg] all have had a hard life and the blacking is still perfect.

The 725 blacking just about fell off, I posted about on it here just over a year ago.

My 2 o/u's are both Miroku G5's and no blacking is sight anywhere. I won't have another o/u with a black action, but I don't think I will change the Miroku's any time soon, they fit and work well. So why change.

Mind you I shot a Longthorne titanium recently and that was just the most awesome gun I have shot in a long time. I would have one of those if I ever win the lottery 

I  

Thanks everyone for your responses, they're all very much appreciated. As far as I can see, the bottom line seems to be that if I can look after a gun very well, and accept that it might wear over time, I could live with a black action. However, being precious with how I spend £4k, and wanting to ensure it remains in very good condition for as long as possible, I think I'll keep away from black actions. For now. 🙃

For what it's worth I was torn between a pro sport and a 694. The black action wearing was definitely a consideration and a factor in me choosing the 694.

If you look at TGS Outdoors on YouTube they done a comparison on the two. And our own @Lloyd Pattison's video on the 694 also compared the two.

I love mine and really enjoy shooting it. 

If the 694 does take your fancy, one of the members on here is selling a nearly new one for around £2600 (I think). If you were to pick that up and spend £1400 on cartridges, Clays and more importantly lessons, you will be strides ahead. Just my 2p.

If the 694 does take your fancy, one of the members on here is selling a nearly new one for around £2600 (I think). If you were to pick that up and spend £1400 on cartridges, Clays and more importantly lessons, you will be strides ahead. Just my 2p.
Yep, still for sale👍

For what it's worth I was torn between a pro sport and a 694. The black action wearing was definitely a consideration and a factor in me choosing the 694.

If you look at TGS Outdoors on YouTube they done a comparison on the two. And our own @Lloyd Pattison's video on the 694 also compared the two.

I love mine and really enjoy shooting it. 

Thanks v much, Scotty. I do love the look of the 694, and will definitely shoot one, ideally back to back with the XS Pro - but as I'm in Suffolk I'll probably be visiting Simpsons in Newmarket to begin with. 

I've seen Lloyd's and Johnny's videos. They're really instructive, and are the reason I'm looking at these guns. 

The more reading and YouTubing I do, the more confused I get 🤦 - but I suppose there's nothing like shooting as many different guns as possible. J 

I was in exactly the same position as you. But to be honest I would say don't over think it.

As a complete beginner you have no point of reference. You don't know yet what you like and what you don't. And I don't think a handful of cartridges through a gun will give you the full picture of it.

I'm sure you'll be happy whatever you end up with, so just enjoy the pick rather than stressing over it, like I was!

Thanks Scotty, you're absolutely right. Overthinking it will take the fun out of it. 

I am enjoying the process of learning all about shotguns, and shortlisting a few to try. And I agree, I'm sure I'll enjoy whichever gun I end up with. 👍👍 

I have had a 725 black and a ProSport and the blacking on the action and barrels was perfect. Mind you  I ALWAYS carry the gun in a slip  it comes out of the slip, bang, bang, bang, etc. Then straight back into the slip and move on. I also wear gloves for shooting, summer or winter, so no sweaty finger marks either. I always wipe down the metalwork with a microfiber cloth which is impregnated with GTX car engine oil. (well I can't use it in the car anymore  ! ).

I have a Prosport and have had no problems with the bluing. I do wipe it down after every shoot and then store it in socks in the safe.

Latest posts

Back