Blaser F3 thoughts, issues and advice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finners

I've been a bit of a CG fanboy, and in all honesty will remain so. The splendid chaps at CG UK provide the kind of service most others can only dream of. BUT....... time marches on and I've been thinking about a flirtation with a plain but well built German model. 

The internet is full of comments, mostly too old to be of any great value. So, I  thought I'd seek the wisdom of the inner sanctum (that is you lot on here) 

My question is are these guns well made and reliable? I hear there was a few barrel problems and newer guns have heavier units fitted?? The chatter on the net is full of so called problems, which to be fair is the norm as few will bother to simply extol the virtues; people do seem keener to knock and criticise. 

So, any thoughts or general advice will be gratefully received.... 

The first ones needed updates and when done were very reliable,i competed with mine for 11 years without any issues.I now shoot with a f3 vantage ,which ive had for the last 5 years again with no issues .I know of peop!e who experienced the barrel coating issues but im sure the very long warranties sorted that issue.

Make sure its had a blaser service so any upgrades could be installed ,is the main thing to look for on a second hand one.

In terms of whether you like shooting one, only you can try one and say. The conversation stops there if you don’t shoot one well.

There are things I would change if I were Emperor at Blaser, mainly the shape of the sporter comb as it’s pretty slim. Also the recoil pads are awful for me, so I did eventually modify both these things.

I can only tell you how my ownership experience has been, with an F3 2015 model year gun; so not the significantly different early model, but not quite the latest version either (but close).

I bought it in 2016 and immediately liked it of course. It had a slight difficulty ejecting sometimes, but Ian Mulliner did some barrel work while I waited, FOC and sorted it. New barrels don’t have the issue.

So I then kept shooting the gun for over 5 years without a service (although I do clean it well and I polished firing pins to make them look better). Then after 58,000 shells through it an ejector cracked, so I sent it for a service, where they routinely replace many parts and check everything for about £280. So, as still within the 10 year warranty, the ejector(s) were replaced FOC. ALSO, they didn’t like the look of the solder on the barrel rib (even though I had noticed nothing) and replaced the barrels FOC too! £3k if you buy them I gather. Yes, OK, new barrels are a different design and are heavier, (so that’s been a journey to re-learn the gun for me) but that’s not to say new barrels are worse. The gun is fully balanceable front and rear with weights. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a bit of a CG fanboy, and in all honesty will remain so. The splendid chaps at CG UK provide the kind of service most others can only dream of. BUT....... time marches on and I've been thinking about a flirtation with a plain but well built German model. 

The internet is full of comments, mostly too old to be of any great value. So, I  thought I'd seek the wisdom of the inner sanctum (that is you lot on here) 

My question is are these guns well made and reliable? I hear there was a few barrel problems and newer guns have heavier units fitted?? The chatter on the net is full of so called problems, which to be fair is the norm as few will bother to simply extol the virtues; people do seem keener to knock and criticise. 

So, any thoughts or general advice will be gratefully received.... 
i don't know where your based    but orston shooting ground   have a good selection and many demo guns to try  , its the orston classic shoot this weekend so will be busy   even Mr digweed is having a bash !!  

Many thanks for the replies, had a good knock today with the F3. It's clearly a nice bit of kit, fantastic trigger quality and clearly nice build yada yada yada.............. So, I'm going to sleep on it and decide if I want to swap in my CG Maxum. Right now, the swingometer is in favour of spending my money on someting else. 

Can’t comment on the F3, but I have recently swapped my 694 for an F16. I was happy with the Beretta but having had a fondle of the Blaser, it just felt nicer. 

I bought it brand new and to be honest it was rather stiff, to the point of being distracting. So, after only 1 round of clays, and one phone call I decided to drive it down to Mulliners for the to take a look. 

Its a long drive to Mulliners from Stoke, but it was so worth it. Ian Mulliner and his wife were there to meet me as agreed and within minutes of getting out of the car, Ian had my F16 apart and was making the necessary adjustments. I left 20 minutes later with a gun that now opens and closes beautifully, and all at no charge.

And yes, I’m very happy with the gun….it feels very ‘engineered’ in a German and not an Italian like way…..if that makes sense?

I am aware of the great CG service by Mike Mansfield and the team as I’ve owned a few, but the Mulliners service made me feel just as important and looked after. 

Ian. 

And yes, I’m very happy with the gun….it feels very ‘engineered’ in a German and not an Italian like way…..if that makes sense?

I am aware of the great CG service by Mike Mansfield and the team as I’ve owned a few, but the Mulliners service made me feel just as important and looked after. 

Ian. 
It does make sense, my friend recently bought a K gun. I was never overly keen on the look of them. But immediately I tried it....I got it. The F3 didn't impart the same level of whatever it is that makes something feel "special" Maybe I should sell a kidney and get one? 

Ref CG, I live just about 4 miles from CGHQ. The service received is a big part of this decision as they've been brilliant, literally can not fault them. Will Hewland also mentioned the fantastic service from Mulliners (I thought they only sold Bentleys 😂 ) and that's great to hear, but a 300 mile round trip is a bit of a downer. 

Really appreciate the input thanks, but I think I'm going to stick with the CG for now. May have to save up for that really special gun...... 🤔

Slightly off topic,  but do people shoot better with better quality made guns?? Example moving from a cg to a kreighoff or beretta 694 to a blaser f3? Just curious on what people thoughts are.. I personally don't think it makes much difference, my latest swap three years ago, was from a 32" silver pigeon to a cg summit ascent.  Now don't get me wrong i love the ascent,  smoothness and more of a clay busting machine feeling,  but in reality my scores would have altered very little. Cause I could shoot that silver pigeon as good as any. I think every one has a certain level of proficiency, and doesn't matter what gun they buy they never really do any better.  Have seen many a  average lad with deep pockets buy serious good guns. It never improved them much if any.  

Slightly off topic,  but do people shoot better with better quality made guns?? Example moving from a cg to a kreighoff or beretta 694 to a blaser f3? Just curious on what people thoughts are.. I personally don't think it makes much difference, my latest swap three years ago, was from a 32" silver pigeon to a cg summit ascent.  Now don't get me wrong i love the ascent,  smoothness and more of a clay busting machine feeling,  but in reality my scores would have altered very little. Cause I could shoot that silver pigeon as good as any. I think every one has a certain level of proficiency, and doesn't matter what gun they buy they never really do any better.  Have seen many a  average lad with deep pockets buy serious good guns. It never improved them much if any.  
I think regardless of the cost of the gun the fit is the most important thing. Then it’s the balance and feel of the gun and the trigger pulls. I guess generally more expensive guns have better trigger pulls. I’ve tinkered with most of them over the years including Perazzi and Krieghoff but have just gone back to an old 1986 Beretta 682 xtrap with a different stock - that’s the one! I hope so😂

On the whole, for the majority of people I think you're right. I guess at the highest level, the small differences can make a huge difference, but to us ordinary shooters, I think you're right. I'm equally sure that the best shooters can shoot anything well. 

The one thing I do believe is related to the mind, if you have the right tool, it's one less thing to think about/doubt if you get me? 

The one thing I do believe is related to the mind, if you have the right tool, it's one less thing to think about/doubt if you get me? 
Or to get hung up/doubt about when the new gun syndrome fades and the scores fall, is it the right tool or shall I try the other make 😄

Or to get hung up/doubt about when the new gun syndrome fades and the scores fall, is it the right tool or shall I try the other make 😄
Oh don’t..  I’ve just put an adjustable comb into my Perazzi. I’ve owned the gun since 2007, shot 94,000 shells through it and when I try it now, it will be the first time it has ever fitted me. My shooting is so messy with gun changes lately that it can’t be silly to try this now.. Head game..

Oh don’t..  I’ve just put an adjustable comb into my Perazzi. I’ve owned the gun since 2007, shot 94,000 shells through it and when I try it now, it will be the first time it has ever fitted me. My shooting is so messy with gun changes lately that it can’t be silly to try this now.. Head game..
Will at youre level you know how to hit everything you'll ever see,so getting rid of doubts in youre head is as important as actually throwing shot down the feild.I even convinced myself i had a eye dom problem starting untill edd of eye wizardry told me i was letting my mind get the better of me.

@Pothunter Keeping slightly off topic, and to kind of answer your question but also support the point I made (the best shooters can shoot with anything) 

Last Sunday I shot with a well known shot (I'll not name him as he may not want me too) suffice to say the chap in question has won at the very highest level. 

He turned up with a 40 odd year old pretty battered Miroku (3800 I believe) held together with bit's of tape and an elastic band. Fixed half and half chokes. He comfortably hit 90/100 on a decent standard sporting shoot. 

It also depends on what you just like, or of what you have dreamed about an can now afford it, perhaps.

I was invited to a krieghoff event and shot a K-80 the fist time. Top gun, proven, no doubt. But after shooting a box of cartridges

I thought to myself: Would I spend 15k for that gun? Probably not. Ok, this was no custom fit or custom balanced gun to my preferences but

it was just not really exciting for me.

It also depends on what you just like, or of what you have dreamed about an can now afford it, perhaps.

I was invited to a krieghoff event and shot a K-80 the fist time. Top gun, proven, no doubt. But after shooting a box of cartridges

I thought to myself: Would I spend 15k for that gun? Probably not. Ok, this was no custom fit or custom balanced gun to my preferences but

it was just not really exciting for me.
Yep, that about sums it up for me. I'm retired now and am lucky enough to have a few quid, but the thought of spending upwards of £15k on a gun just doesn't compute. The F3 was less than half that, but I just didn't get "that feeling" about it at all. I might try a DT11 altough I have a feeling that the Blaser F16 might possibly suit me better. Should have tried one whilst at Coleys 🙄 

Also a CG fan, Invictus,  but recently I have been looking for a new gun  ,  DT11 ( Is it really worth 4-5k more than a 694 ? ) P gun, F3 and nothing stands out. Got me thinking about guns ive had in the past which seem to have had more feel to them.

The only one i regretted selling was as above a 3800 , i was lucky enough to walk into the shop at Southdown about 8 weeks ago and there on the shelf was a  1982 Miroku GD1 3800, 32"  fixed 1/2 and 1/2, 18.4. Bought it there and then, I have used it on everything since. Cost very little, looks as rough as hell but shoots like a dream. And it makes me smile.

Also a CG fan, Invictus,  but recently I have been looking for a new gun  ,  DT11 ( Is it really worth 4-5k more than a 694 ?
I shoot a DT11L and my father shoots a 694. His 694 has a lovely shaped grip and stock dimensions on it, and is a very nice gun, but the DT11 is better. The DT11 is built really solid, balances well, just ticks all the boxes. The best value in the DT11 is in the second hand ones, new prices are crazy these days. I bought my dt11l second hand at 3 months old. 694's are very good for the money, but the dt11 is by far the best gun i've ever shot.

I have a feeling that the Blaser F16 might possibly suit me better. Should have tried one whilst at Coleys 🙄 
The trigger pulls on the F16 are exceptional for a sub 3k shotgun. Just don't go the grades game Mine is a 2 but is really nice, I got lucky.

Yes it's nice to have lovely wood on any gun, but F16 grade 5's are knocking on F3's at over 6k at some places

Back