Best Recoil pad and somebody to fit it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordieboy

HI everyone

i have a Browning 525 Grd 5 12G with a lovely stock. Unfortunately, the person to have it before me fitted a large recoil pad to it......rather badly.  I have stripped the stock of its laquer and the wood underneath is a joy to behold.  I now want a 12mm recoil pad to fit to it.  the face of the stock is flat, not curved so I require a pad to fit that.  Can anybody assist with where I can get one from, and possibly someone to fit it for me?  I live in Warwickshire.

Many Thanks

www.recoilsystems.com/

hope this help's, there have been many good comment's on the green recoil pad

Last edited by a moderator:
www.recoilsystems.com/

hope this help's, there's been many good comment's on the green recoil pad

Agreed.  You will hear people mention Kick Eeze etc, which are ok for sorbothane pads, but ultimately they are a spring, so you still get most of the recoil, just in a different way.

The Green fit pads that Dave at Recoil Systems sells are excellent.  The structure of the material used means that it contains millions of tiny air shock absorbers, not springs and do a very nice job of depleting the recoil.

He does left and right hand cast pads, flat ones or "trap" versions with a slightly concave shape to them.  All are leather covered.  The pads are green, but they come with a decent marker pen so you can black it out if you wish.

For ultimate recoil reduction from Dave, look at the ISIS2.

As for someone to fit it, if you are capable of stripping the lacquer from a stock, you can fit the pad.

A belt sander is best, but you can do it with a normal palm sander.  I can give you further info if you like.

Otherwise, a local gunsmith or Malcolm Jenkins, which is who Dave at Recoil Systems recommends.

http://www.recoilsystems.com/greenpad/green.asp

greenpad-sm.gif

The Isis green pads are very good -  they are also very light which might affect (+ve or -ve) the balance of your gun.

The face (of an Isis green pad) that fits your shoulder is also fairly flat -  which suits some people - but not others. It depends where you mount your gun.

Kickeez do a variety of pads -  some nearly flat, some very concave. They are much heavier than the Isis equivalents (see my old advert for recoil pads -  the weights are listed).

As Skeet UK suggested, the Isis recoil reducers are fantastic if you want to go the whole hog.

Hope this helps.

The Isis is the best recoil pad ever......they do not bounce like the others do (and i have tried them all over the years).

Many Thanks everyone

I have just spoken to the chap there and he was incredibly helpful.  He said once my stock is stripped and ready for fitting, all I have to do is fit the pad, and scribe the profile onto the pad, post it back and he will sand it back for me.  Top Quality service and he couldn't have been any more helpful.

On top of that, you get a permanent marker to 'Blacken' the green in.  The gun is a Grade 5 Prestige Sporter and I like my gun to look like pretty.  (Tarty I know, but there you have it)!

If you look at shooters who are shooting a serious amount of shells, in the UK it tends to be the The Double Trap guys, they all have green pads, including me, the best pad out there at the moment.

Many Thanks everyone

I have just spoken to the chap there and he was incredibly helpful.  He said once my stock is stripped and ready for fitting, all I have to do is fit the pad, and scribe the profile onto the pad, post it back and he will sand it back for me.  Top Quality service and he couldn't have been any more helpful.

On top of that, you get a permanent marker to 'Blacken' the green in.  The gun is a Grade 5 Prestige Sporter and I like my gun to look like pretty.  (Tarty I know, but there you have it)!
I have left all mine green......it is like a trade mark....and I can see it easily in the rack at international shoots. (Psst and I have nice wood on them)

Went to see Dennis today. Looks like I'll be sprouting extra green soon for more length and less pitch. Lots of Nill Griffe there. Min weight is 800 though. Stayed to watch a K gun fitting with one in wood and grey alloy. Certainly improved the appearance.

Thats Great then.  I just have to measure the Length of Pull of My Miroku Mk38 Trap, and emulate that.  The pad originally on the Browning was a 20mm deep hard rubber straight one.  I didn't like it for fit and it was too long for me.  I use a Teague'd Mk38 32" Trap that has a curved ventilated pad and I shoot much better at clays with that.  the Browning is a 32" Sporter and was too long with the existing pad.  It will either be the 11mm or 14mm Green pad I think. 

The Grain on the Browning is now coming through nicely.  A bit more elbow grease and then we will be ready to fit the Isis. 

Rather looking forward to the Outcome now.........I have taken a liking to Black golds so a bit more controlled recoil won't go amiss!!

Thats Great then.  I just have to measure the Length of Pull of My Miroku Mk38 Trap, and emulate that.  The pad originally on the Browning was a 20mm deep hard rubber straight one.  I didn't like it for fit and it was too long for me.  I use a Teague'd Mk38 32" Trap that has a curved ventilated pad and I shoot much better at clays with that.  the Browning is a 32" Sporter and was too long with the existing pad.  It will either be the 11mm or 14mm Green pad I think. 

The Grain on the Browning is now coming through nicely.  A bit more elbow grease and then we will be ready to fit the Isis. 

Rather looking forward to the Outcome now.........I have taken a liking to Black golds so a bit more controlled recoil won't go amiss!!

Don't forget, if you want a fairly curved pad, I think Dave does one.  He does a "Trap" version of the ISIS2, that has more give in it for pre mounting, but I am pretty sure he does a Green pad with a deeper dish in it.

Hi everyone

Well my 11mm Green pad arrived before christmas and I first stripped the varnish from the Grade 5 wood.  I also bought a sander and cut my pad then grinded it to fit.  Pad is now fitted and the stock all oil finished.  A job I was very glad to undertake.  It has a lovely wood and to be honest, the 'Green' pad doesn't look out of place.  I also had it out last weekend, and the gun is a far better fit now.  Balance is improved to being 15mm for, ward of the pin, after adding weight to the stock.  The gun shoots flatter now, but faster than before.  The pad is a revelation to be honest.  I have the smaller of the pads at 1mm thick, and it reduces the recoil better than the fullu ventilated pad on my Mk38 trap gun.  Strange....but true!  I am thinking of getting a 19mm one now for my Miroku now.

Great advice everyone.  The chap at ISIS was always there for advice.  I can thoroughly recommend the product now I have shot it.

Cheers

I have a Jones adjuster on one of my guns at the moment however have purchased the Isis with 29mm pad which is to go on

my new gun when I take delivery in February.

if we're talking about a rubber pad , it's a piece of cake to do it on your own. A grinder , some grinding paper and a little tape is all you need.

I tried it for the first time a couple of months ago and it's really nothing

I have a Jones adjuster on one of my guns at the moment however have purchased the Isis with 29mm pad which is to go on

my new gun when I take delivery in February.
Ray, if you wanted to still have adjustability, he does an adjustable pad now.  I have one on my ISIS.  Are you getting the ISIS2 recoil reducer or just the green pad?

adjustmentPositions.jpg

I've purchased the full Isis 2 not just the pad.

Good choice.  Just bare in mind that he can do you an adjustable system as per the pic, that will fit on the ISIS2, so you can fit that butt pad as your current one does.  Do you have it canted at the moment on the Jones?

Latest posts

Back