Best Practice?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnylizzy

I am a shooter with limited funds and limited time, I'm sure there are many, many shooters out there in the same predicament as myself. I generally get to shoot 100 rounds a week.

What can I do when shooting to insure I'm getting the best possible learning experience?

Is there anything I can work on away from shooting to gain a slight advantage in a given area over someone that shoots 2 or 3 times as much as me?

I'm not looking to become a world beater but I would like to give a good account of myself and maybe win the odd shoot.

I love this sport and am a dedicated hard working shooter (with the limited time and funds I have of course), I spend an hour each night practising my mount and swing but I feel I can/should do more to help my shooting.

I understand that nothing beats throwing lead down range but I just don't have that option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Hi

First of all great gun you have I love Kemen there fabulous.

I think the dry mounting is a good thing as it tunes muscle memory and helps with repetition to the mount. I suppose general health and fitness could be worked on but not too increase muscle mass or this will effect gun fit, work more on core strength which will help keep your back in good shape and also on cardio vascular for general stamina.

Other than that I think your into mental or psychology side of things which is a whole new fangled thing that us old gits do not fully understand. Its something to do with learning the young folk about the job in hand and how to be "ready" for the target. Us oldies didn't realise we were supposed to become composed because we already were so didn't need to .... anyway I digress.

Remember though that a quality 100 per week beets 300 per week with no thought and you are obviously thinking a great deal about your shooting so I get the impression that when you shoot you put everythging into it rather than just 300 shots of lead in the air. In other words don't worry too much fiscal restraint and family commitment etc etc means we can all only do as much as we can in life.

Thanks for the great response Ips. The mantal side of my game is something I could work on although I'm already a bit mental so I don't know if it would work. Ha ha. Some food for thought with the building muscle mass as I though this would help with controlling the gun but I never one thought about changing the gun fit. I have been doing a lot of core strength stuff, planks and the likes so maybe I'll concentrate on that a bit more and do some more cardio for the stamina. Excellent, just the kinda advice I was after......... And I agree, the Kemen are an astonishing gun. Thanks.

Your welcome my friend glad some of my reply could be of use.

You may not be able to afford coaching but a great deal can be learned by spending the same amount of time at your club watching the proven winners there and how they approach the task, studying what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr 40up makes a good point. Befriend an experienced shooter many old school are more than willing to share there vast knowledge.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

you can't have Mr 40up I bagsed him first :)

Mr 40up makes a good point. Befriend an experienced shooter many old school are more than willing to share there vast knowledge.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
you can't have Mr 40up I bagsed him first :)
Oooh, a touch possessive aren't we

In all seriousness it's good to have a mentor they are imo much better than a coach as a mentor who is also a personal friend knows how you shoot but more importantly knows how you cannot shoot. Coaches are good for newbies of course that I do not deny.

In all seriousness it's good to have a mentor they are imo much better than a coach as a mentor who is also a personal friend knows how you shoot but more importantly knows how you cannot shoot. Coaches are good for newbies of course that I do not deny.
Instructors are good for newbies. Proper coaches are invaluable.

There are a lot of so called coaches out there stagecoach are good atb

Do some reffing! You get to be close to the action and could get paid enough for a round or two but more importantly you will occasionally see the hot shots come past your stand and see how they do things.

Or shoot trap you get to ref without pay. It's a weird world trap!

Latest posts

Back