beretta 682 gold e OR browning ultra xs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beretta boom stick

BERETTA 682 GOLD E OR BROWNING ULTRA XS

Hi all ,

Im in need of help. I've been shooting a beretta al391 gold for well over a year & feel the need for an under & over. The cleaning of the auto is a real pain along with the gun jams are major factors of the wanted change . I have tried both guns but still not sure . As i shoot a beretta , will changing to a browning mess up my shooting ?? & will a browning shoot higher than a beretta ??

I will be very grateful for all opinions .

Many Thanks , Mark

Simple answer is get someone to check the gun fit then try the one that fits the best and feels right, the balance may be a little different between the two, but it's all down to what you like or what you feel comfortable with, both are well made and looked after will last many years and hold a good resale value - but if you can't see down the barrel or the stock is too long / too short you won't mount it right and that will spoil your shooting not matter what make or what price you pay for it

Jonz

both are very similar, I had the XS in 32" and loved it. Felt a bit more barrel heavy than a 682 when I bought it but stuck a lump of lead in the stock as I like the balance further back. As Jonz says both are well made and for my 2 cents there is virtually nothing between them. Fit and balance can be modified fairly easy. Browning tips the scales for me as they tend to be straighter in the stock, not as much cast for my narrow shoulders :)

Beretta for me or a Caesar Guerini - Andy you know where we are and come and try the range, I will happily take you around with a few Beretta`s, Brownings and Guerini`s. - well shot over the weekend and great to see you today.

Cheers Phil, but I am more than happy with the miroke, why change a sucessful combo :D . Mark, get over to Ian Coleys I'm sure Phil will extend the kind offer to you, all the lads in the shop know their stuff. Massive selection and a top clay ground to give em a try on ;)

Be careful Mark. This is a minefield for the innocent! Decide what you want and go and buy it at the best price you can find. Any of the top three will do the job you want, Browning, Beretta or Miroku. Just find the one you like and bargain like mad, the gun trade is desperate for sales.

Mark,

All the information you have been given is good advice.

Just remember that at the end of the day a gun is a tool, and many craftsmen take a sense of pride in the tools that they use.

So what ever you decide to buy it must be pleasing to your eye, fit you, and able to do the job of breaking clays efficiently.

Condition and price will be important, you can normally buy a Miroku cheaper than any of the others, Why? I haven't understood that in fourty years?

Remember buying a gun is like buying a car, find a dealer you trust who has a reputation for good after sales service, if you are buying from a private source do not expect to pay retail prices or get after sales service. Buying from a dealer, haggle, look for discount, free gunslip (you will need one)etc.,

Importantly, once you have bought your gun, stick with it, learn to shoot it and don't look enviously at other makes of gun, a Baikal can do the same job as a Krieghoff.

Can't quite agree with Fuz on this. To me these 2 are quite different in their characteristics as well as their looks. The Gold E is a sleek, fast handling gun with okay triggers and an enviable competition pedigree. The XS is marginally heavier but balances differently, making it feel much weightier than it actually is. Even it's biggest fan wouldn't describe the XS as fast handling and the trigger pulls are very Ho Hum. The standard Beretta stock is a shade higher than Browning but IIRC, the Ultra XS comes with an adjustable stock as standard.

You might like one more than the other but I'd be very surprised if you liked both equally well. Having said that though, unless you're a contender for AAA class, it's unlikely IMO that either would make any detectable difference to your scores.

Not going to get into the debate as to which one is better as that is just a personal preference.

I have owned both (adjustable) and the differences between them in my opinion is:

The ultra XS balanced out for me ok until I screwed in the Midas chokes and then it made it nose heavy, the trigger pull was heavier on the XS and the hard plastic Bakelite butt pad was not to my tastes, but it did punish a sloppy mount which I suppose is one way to learn.The Gold E seems balanced more neutral and a better trigger pull.

The stock adjuster is 1 bolt on the XS which makes it a doddle to set compared to the Gold E up but it does work loose over time (as I found out) so just nip it up every so often.

The ejectors are far superior on the XS, not that it makes a difference but thought I would point it out as if you miss you could eject the carts at the clay and stand a chance of hitting with the XS. ;)

I did pattern my XS and a friend did his Gold E at the same time, the XS did seem a little higher with the pattern but it was in no way a scientific experiment or a massive difference.

After I kept borrowing my friends Gold E I decided to buy one myself as I preferred it, however when selling my XS someone else wanted to swap his Gold E for the XS for the exact same reasons.

Both good guns so just go with your gut feeling, if you wished you had bought one over the other this can cause a loss of confidence which can affect scores even though there is no actual issue with the gun, just a head issue.

Hi,

I have a 32" Ultra XS Titanium Prestige that I am going to put up for sale. I brought it new approx 18 months ago. It has only

shot around 4000 shells. It has a Kick Eez pad fitted, and is in unmarked condition.

Full set of chokes, keys, case and triggers that came with gun.

Location Essex but would be prepared to meet some where in the middle for you to try & view.

Steve

both are very similar, I had the XS in 32" and loved it. Felt a bit more barrel heavy than a 682 when I bought it but stuck a lump of lead in the stock as I like the balance further back. As Jonz says both are well made and for my 2 cents there is virtually nothing between them. Fit and balance can be modified fairly easy. Browning tips the scales for me as they tend to be straighter in the stock, not as much cast for my narrow shoulders :)
cheers fuz. :)

pick the one that you like the most, sell your old one and learn how to use the new one.

Hi,

I have a 32" Ultra XS Titanium Prestige that I am going to put up for sale. I brought it new approx 18 months ago. It has only

shot around 4000 shells. It has a Kick Eez pad fitted, and is in unmarked condition.

Full set of chokes, keys, case and triggers that came with gun.

Location Essex but would be prepared to meet some where in the middle for you to try & view.

Steve
Try asking a mod for this to be moved to ShootBay, probably the better section.

Boom Stick,

A very wise decision to try them both again, but beware of letting your heart rule your head.

If it is any advice at all, remember that they are all designed to do the same job, but some suit us better than others.

I think that we can all learn to shoot any gun if we have to, the criteria could be, we can only afford one gun, the one we bought was cheap or a bargain, it was given as a sponsorship deal etc., Obviously we may have to get it fitted or adjust either the gun fit or our style.

The biggest fault that we all have is thinking a change of gun will improve our ability, it may but that is unlikely in reality, what will improve our success is to improve our ability.Try them both and buy the one that feels better or easier to shoot and then train.

Latest posts

Back