Basic shell price around you?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lksopener

hello guys, 

im based in north Notts and seeking a basic clay cartridge along the lines of a 24g 7.5 or 9 shot.

i only shoot recreationally so don't need any bells and whistles and my Mrs shoots so something a little lighter than 28g helps her out. My two local gunshops are asking £180 and £184 per thousand for eley first select which seems expensive to me. 

So For something pretty basic what are you paying? I was hoping really to be no more than £150/1000

thanks Liam 

I should add I've seen some steel 24g gamebore for 137/1000 but I'm cautious in relation to steel damaging the guns? My Winchester does have the fleur de lys stamp but my partners is a much older gun. 

I had a slab of Eley 1st Select 24g for £37 a couple of weeks ago so your local dealers are more than a tad dear. The shell itself is a perfectly sound very low recoil offering but one of (if not the) best 24g shells I've shot lately just has to be the Jocker 7.5's which at £148 a thou is pretty damn good. Supplies of this new to UK brand are still a bit sketchy so you might have to go for something like Fiocchi Top1 which are also OK.

£145/1000 Eley first select at Kelbrook in Lancashire or £155/1000 for same at High Harthay (Brompton) if I run out before going home. Both in 24g 7.5's.

£144 for the 24 grm jokers. £150 for 28grm . super shell . highly recommended. Local shop out of the 28grm. Grab some if you can.

Anyone have any suggestions around Notts? I thought the two shops in question were expensive and this has affirmed my thoughts! 

Hull Comp X 21g are excellent & very easy on the shoulder and should be available well below your £150. The Superfasts 27g are also a good option, but will be about £165.  

Last edited by a moderator:
What I find interesting about this thread is that some of cartridges that you giving big likes to are made here in France and quite frankly you are getting ripped off!  Jocker and Cheddite carts sell for about €150 a thou which is about £110 . OK there is transport costs to add on but it does not, or should not, make £30-40 per thou difference to get them from France to the UK .

Sportsman Gun Centre Super Smokers - a whisker under £150 per 1000. Available in plastic or fibre, 7.5 shot.

None of my misses have been attributable to these cartridges, I have fired thousands without a misfire or a misfeed in my Outlander.

Hull compx 7.5's 28g £150/1000  21g £140/1000

sporting 100 8's 28g £185/1000

pro1 7.5's 28g £210/1000

soverign 7.5's 28g £230/1000 

Notts gun club , Nev's and cockets are very good prices tbh I shoot pro piston and their 206 per thousand  but I use to get pro skeet for 165 per thousand from someone I my grandad knows who used to shoot at Notts :D

Back