Barrel length

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
28 inch  well just no.
Why?  Isn't it just down to balance, fit and knowing your sight pictures?  I've been told that the longer barrels make you less likely to stop the gun just before firing as they take more stopping once got going.  Not sure if that's true or not, I have no problem swinging through fast targets with a 28.

In the colonies of Australia,  we're a bit behind. 20 years ago, it was all 28s, with the odd 30. I tried 30s in a 686 Onyx Sporting and it was a pig of a gun. Fast forward and I'm re-entering Sporting Clays. 30s are everywhere,  and 32s are rare. Our Miroku Mk10s have ventilated barrels, and to me these in 32 are perfect! Even looked at importing a Mk38 Sporter 32" Teague from the UK market, but seems your Mk38s have solid not vented barrels. Ultimately,  older I get, nicer longer barrels sight, and if svelte in weight, the long barrels can be a joy.

Cheers 

So Charles, never mind the barrel length, what gun have you decided on?

Why?  Isn't it just down to balance, fit and knowing your sight pictures?  I've been told that the longer barrels make you less likely to stop the gun just before firing as they take more stopping once got going.  Not sure if that's true or not, I have no problem swinging through fast targets with a 28.
me too Bebo.

apologies I ment sporting
my apologies also if my post seemed aggresive u did not mean it too.

well I hope to take it seriously eventually as it is my way but initially the objective is to bring fun back into my shooting

regards

Unless you're well over 6 feet tall, or built like a sentry tower, a 32" is generally too big for sporting, unless it's from high towers. 30" seems good to me, and having recently bought a 28" Benelli o/u (only because they don't currently sell it in 30") I've fitted extended chokes to give myself an extra inch (Fnarr fnarr). 

All this generalisation depends on which gun and how it feels to you. 

You will be the one shooting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you're well over 6 feet tall, or built like a sentry tower, a 32" is generally too big for sporting, unless it's from high towers. 30" seems good to me, and having recently bought a 28" Benelli o/u (only because they don't currently sell it in 30") I've fitted extended chokes to give myself an extra inch (Fnarr fnarr). 
That theory has well and truly been busted, either that or I'm well over 6'  :lol: .

Local chap to us is about 5' 5" and about 10 stone wet through. He shot a 32" mk38 for about 20 years and got up to AA class at his best, guess he was one lucky son of a gun to shoot all those good scores with a gun way to big for him!

I've just noticed my comments were in reply to charles post me getting old not using quotes etc no offence taken haveing fun trying to help is what were all about I hope. Have fun at the english. :smile:

you must shoot kneeling.
Tried that, it didn't work. Even tried Holy Water but the Legia spray took care of that, I noticed that the local shooting Priest has switched to RC cartridges, so awaiting the results of that one ! Some of us need all the help that we can get !

I can't see the bull...but I can smell the sh*t!!!

Everyone is different, I shoot a 34" barreled perazzi mx8 with a 17" stock, I'm 6'3 and biggish build, the gun is perfect for me and its the best shooting gun I've ever had weather it be shooting sporting or trap, I think if the gun is fitted and balanced properly it doesn't matter on length!

i cant tell any difference between my 30 or 28 they both go bang when I pull trigger and the misses on crossers are equally good. Cant tell any difference on choke either

i cant tell any difference between my 30 or 28 they both go bang when I pull trigger and the misses on crossers are equally good. Cant tell any difference on choke either,
Ah, but now you have turned to a proper discipline,  it will not be long before you will !  I can forsee Teague chokes, 4" barrel extensions 'F' Blacks in one pocket 'F' blues in another and every  'F- in'  shot size that you could imagine in the rest. Why do you think that Sporting vests have 4 + pockets ? You will need 4 ozs. of lead inserted in yer stock, a lovely new green recoil pad (yes, they do work) a superb new Italian designer handbag to carry at least,  the remainder of the 'F-in' catridges that you were unable to squeeze into yer pockets, 6 cans of Red Heifer (or similar), Pilau frames and assorted lenses for front of yer hat (so you can rice to the occasion) and Oakleaves and lenses for the back (just to confuse the Refs !). Then you can add Jungle Fever fly spray, 16 chokes of every denomination possible, sweat bands in assorted colours, 6.5 shot (just for rabbits), choke keys, gloves and a gunslip with more legs than the Isle of Man, designed to attempt to trip up all of the other Competitors. Of course all of this is entirely dependant on your being able to get past Will's skip with your new 7 1/4 lbs gun, mind you with that lump of lead in the stock, if you added a barrel weight too, you would be getting closer to that magic gun the rest of us hope to, one day,  aspire to.  

ruddy ell I need all that. Glad I came .. Not. I will get me coat

ps

as I have spent a considerable sum on a 28" I can assure you all that 28" is definitely the ideal length ?

Latest posts

Back