Barrel Length- How long??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

So what length barrels do most shooters use for ESP and why?

30” seems to be the ‘standard’ at most clay grounds but what are the advantages of a 32” gun for you average 5’11”/13st shooter where physique isn’t really the main consideration?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hermit

I had a waggle with both a 32 and a 30 inch gun. Didn't feel a world of difference but the 30" felt a bit better when swinging up like I was chasing an overhead target.

I fit your demographic as well. I have a feeling that the psychological difference makes up way more than any physical difference. By that I mean I don't think you have to go too far back to find 28" barrels being the norm. Go with what feels best for you.

If you look at a local straw baler shoot there are a lot of 30" guns knocking about, very popular for a bit of game and a few clays here and there.

At a registered shoot I bet at least 90% of guns are 32". 32's just swing that little better for consistency on clays. Having said that a lot of game is also shot with 32's, I shoot a 32" dt11 and use it for everything.

One of the enduring shotgunning myths is that barrel length choice depends on your physical size and/or strength.

To understand what I mean, consider a 30" B425 Browning from the 90s or a MK70 Miroku. No offence to any other opinions on them but the barrels on these guns are significantly heavier, especially at the muzzles, than relatively recent 32" guns from say Beretta or Browning's 725. 

Plenty of normal stature women shoot 32" guns because it's about how the gun feels and works in the individual's own hands rather than some predefined assumption about size and strength.

Only a small thing but it's also worth considering that many gun cabinets won't take a 32" O/U with extended chokes installed and the same applies to many gun slips.

Yep it’s about one thing, the view when you point the gun. The longer the barrel the finer the measurement of lead. So it tends to be a desirable thing to shoot a 32” if plenty of longer targets are on the menu. But all personal preference and it’s not a big deal. 

Only a small thing but it's also worth considering that many gun cabinets won't take a 32" O/U with extended chokes installed and the same applies to many gun slips.
Indeed. 1/4" more and I could fit my gun in without having to break it down.......so annoying.

A lot of gun safes out there now that will take shotguns larger than 32''  

Thanks for the feedback...

Probably best I get the tape measure out first to save a lot of time and effort! 😀

In reality, I'm just window shopping (as we all do) so will probably decipher which gun I'd like to buy and then as many suggest, take the 30" & 32" variations for a few rounds and see which I prefer...assuming the cabinet plays ball!! 

Next step will be finding a few try guns.

Thanks all,

H

I've found that barrel length isn't an issue if the balance point of the gun is where you'd like it to be.  For me 30" barrels on a gun that is 'muzzle heavy' (seems to be a 'Browning' thing?) is less desirable than longer barrels where the gun feels neutral and more 'pointable'.

Certain barrel lengths were recommended for certain disciplines usually because shorter lighter barrels meant faster gun movement (say skeet) and heavy, longer barrels more controlled gun movement over a shorter distance (say DTL). Personal preference could overrule any such recommendation and trap shooters often used their trap guns for sporting – if you can handle longer barrels then more control is helpful.

Now with balancing systems etc barrel weight is much less objectively important and the barrel length becomes very much a personal choice. Also, barrels can be lighter so we get a movement towards 32 inch – see the 682 Gold E where the 32 inch Optima barrels were lighter that the 30 ¾  inch 682 Gold (Mobil) barrels they replaced.

Much comes down to the shooter. Most on day one of their shooting journey will pick the lighter gun with shorter barrels and love it. As time goes on – sometimes a short time - gun weight increases and longer barrels are wanted – maybe for the sight picture though personally a tramline seem better to me if optically you need a longer sight plane. Muscles build and the gun becomes comparatively lighter. Those who have been shooting a while recommend longer barrels and understandably so.

I would agree with those who suggest you pick a gun you like with a few exceptions.

For ESP you will quickly grow out of a gun with light barrels.

If you are unsure don’t spend silly money. Most of the high end gun have longer barrels and that’s because ‘high end’ shooters want them and that's for a reason.

30 inch is usually a good mid ground – you can pop in some long extended chokes to add weight as you learn more about what you want.

Get one with a good balance point. You can add weight to the stock but quite a lot is needed if the barrels are heavy – I had a (30 inch) Miroku 7000 which required 100g in the stock to get it anything like over the hinge point.

You will, over time prefer a heavier gun which means 31 or 32 inch maybe the long term way forward.

The fourth point is key in my opinion and ultimately a well balanced gun is always good to shoot whatever the weight.

Certain barrel lengths were recommended for certain disciplines usually because shorter lighter barrels meant faster gun movement (say skeet) and heavy, longer barrels more controlled gun movement over a shorter distance (say DTL). Personal preference could overrule any such recommendation and trap shooters often used their trap guns for sporting – if you can handle longer barrels then more control is helpful.

Now with balancing systems etc barrel weight is much less objectively important and the barrel length becomes very much a personal choice. Also, barrels can be lighter so we get a movement towards 32 inch – see the 682 Gold E where the 32 inch Optima barrels were lighter that the 30 ¾  inch 682 Gold (Mobil) barrels they replaced.

Much comes down to the shooter. Most on day one of their shooting journey will pick the lighter gun with shorter barrels and love it. As time goes on – sometimes a short time - gun weight increases and longer barrels are wanted – maybe for the sight picture though personally a tramline seem better to me if optically you need a longer sight plane. Muscles build and the gun becomes comparatively lighter. Those who have been shooting a while recommend longer barrels and understandably so.

I would agree with those who suggest you pick a gun you like with a few exceptions.

For ESP you will quickly grow out of a gun with light barrels.

If you are unsure don’t spend silly money. Most of the high end gun have longer barrels and that’s because ‘high end’ shooters want them and that's for a reason.

30 inch is usually a good mid ground – you can pop in some long extended chokes to add weight as you learn more about what you want.

Get one with a good balance point. You can add weight to the stock but quite a lot is needed if the barrels are heavy – I had a (30 inch) Miroku 7000 which required 100g in the stock to get it anything like over the hinge point.

You will, over time prefer a heavier gun which means 31 or 32 inch maybe the long term way forward.

The fourth point is key in my opinion and ultimately a well balanced gun is always good to shoot whatever the weight.
Yep. This was the full explanation I couldn’t be bothered to write. 👍

There are always exceptions Amber Hill with her Beretta DT11 for example the guns almost as long as she is tall.

Try out as many as you can, it's what suits you not what everybody says you need to shoot well

There are always exceptions Amber Hill with her Beretta DT11 for example the guns almost as long as she is tall.

Try out as many as you can, it's what suits you not what everybody says you need to shoot well
This is a skeet gun with lightweight barrels, no midrib between the barrels and so on.

And i think a barrel could be also too short.

You will get a lot of muzzle flip which brings you away from your target.

This is a skeet gun with lightweight barrels, no midrib between the barrels and so on.

And i think a barrel could be also too short.

You will get a lot of muzzle flip which brings you away from your target.
Well if she gets a lot of muzzle flip when shooting skeet she controls it exceptionally well then 30'' Barrels but carbon rib/trigger to help weight 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Back