Barrel cleaning?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo1234

Dear forum members,

I am having trouble getting a gleaming mirror finish when cleaning the barrels, especially after firing plastic wad cartridges. The gun is brand new and one which I would like to keep in mint condition.

My standard routine is to spray Napier gun cleaner/lubricant down the barrels, wait a minute then push through a couple of wads of rolled up kitchen roll. Half a dozen strokes with a bronze bristle or spiral brush, spray of Napier to coat and final wad of clean kitchen roll. The brushing often needs repeating to rid all debris. I am aware that bronze is a softer metal than the chromed steel barrels, but am concerned that excessive brushing could in time wear or damage the barrel coating. I am particularly careful when extended the brush through the barrel tips and ejectors.

The gun is being cleaned once or twice a week after shooting. As a newbie, do I need to be more aggressive with the brush cleaning and worry less or is there a better way to achieve a perfect finish?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Damian 

Damian,

You won't damage the barrels with a bronze brush but getting a mirror clean finish is simply not necessary. Guns are tools and in the main they're not that expensive either, they're designed to withstand years of use with cleaning only really necessary a few times a year, damp or wet guns are a no no so always make sure you put them away bone dry.

You can spend an hour making the barrels spotless and then the first bang will put them back to square one. Do you or do you know anyone who cleans their car brakes or engine after every use ? In short don't fuss too much over a few specs of dirt.

Hello

You might be being a bit gentle with your brush I think particularly as you are not leaving it to build up and cleaning regularly. I do more than half a dozen strokes per barrell and am quite vigorous back and forth. This is of course on the rare occasion I clean the barrels as usually I leave that exertion to the hubby! Bit more elbow grease me thinks.

I use a bore snake after every shoot and attack it with a battery gun once a fortnight or so...

Spray Napier. Have a cup of yes. Use chamber brush ( short stick with a bronze Galloway brush) vigorously.

One squirt Napier push bronze through at least 4 times.

Polish with wool mop on stick.

One squirt browning Liege oil in each barrel.

Store in gun safe barrel down.

Ohh and don't buy a gun or car from Hammy.

Two very easy ways to clean plastic fouling. One. use a rifle bore cleaning solvent or.two use the Napier and put the cleaning rod in a cordless drill 20 seconds in each barrel with the bronze brush. Or do as I do and don't bother.

For me, good spray of bore solvent before leaving the shooting ground (after a weekend of shooting!); gun is in a breakdown case so no worries about solvent running where it shouldn't! Once home another quick spray whilst getting cleaning kit, bronze brush on rod attached to cordless drill and a couple of runs through barrels and heh-presto mirror clean bores!
It also depends what cartridges you use and how you store them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What exceedingly helpful people you are. Thanks for the top tips and warm welcome.

Agree with the above and particularly Snipeys comments.

After several years of scrubbing (ooer missus), I find the key is letting the Napier sit in the bores for 15 minutes or so. After which I find it needs minimal brushing to get the bores clean.

Unless you have one of these you're just not taking the problem seriously.

post-29-0-14656800-1418292238.jpg

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
Back