Back to very basics..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

We have a significant Rabbit population here and now the Neighbouring OSR is down that we hold the rights over its a chance to get a few for the freezer before birds are down on this part of the shoot.  Having spent a couple of weeks with the rimfires on more open ground the stubbles felt like an oppportunity to dig the sub 12 air rifle out, however I had forgotten that the scope had been leant to a friend so it was back to open sights.  An hour last night spent getting re acquainted and zeroing at 30 M and off we set at 4-30 am this morning.

It’s so easy to overlook in today’s super whizzy high tech world how important fieldcraft is and the lessons of 30 years ago having just started secondary school came back to me as if it were yesterday.  It’s easy to forget how exciting it is to have to walk 500M the long way round to get 25M for your target and also what a pleasure carrying a break barrel with no scope is compared to heavier equipment.

2 hours later and 6  Bunnies in the game bag drew a close the most fun I have shooting for quite some time, the sense of reward for what felt like true hunting made prep fun and returning home just as most people were starting their day made me realise how lucky we are to enjoy such a brilliant pastime.

The rimfires will remain in the cabinet for the time being....

Last edited by a moderator:
I learnt to shoot with open sighted Diana model 22 in .177 and later graduated to a model 25 in the same calibre, they were incredibly light to hold and shoot with and a doddle to cock compared to todays guns but we literally killed thousands of sparrows, doves and even pigeon with them. 

Yep, 1975 i got my first air rifle, relum taurus break barell with open sites. I once shot a bird in flight replicating a driven pheasant....it fell at my feet...i kid you not 😁

Obviously i do not condone such antics but i was young and knew no better. 😉

Yep, 1975 i got my first air rifle, relum taurus break barell with open sites. I once shot a bird in flight replicating a driven pheasant....it fell at my feet...i kid you not 😁

Obviously i do not condone such antics but i was young and knew no better. 😉
Don’t tell Dave Carrie.... 200M Pheasant using open sighted air pistol...

Don’t tell Dave Carrie.... 200M Pheasant using open sighted air pistol...
Hey now, steady on.......................................... I have this ere Gat pistol,  that I use as a 'back up' gun on driven days     !!!!!!       :mosking:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back