Are stocks interchangeable?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Spavo

As a rule, is this a thing or not?

For example, if one had a 28" model of summat or other, Browning, Perazzi, whatever, with a very plain stock and saw a g5 stock on the same model but it happened to be a 30 or 32", could you just swap the barrels or stocks over to get the nice wood? Not sure how all that stuff works (any balancing, weight distribution, etc.), but that seems easy in my head as a straight swap... just banking it probably isn't! :)

As a general rule, yes. Although model specific quirks apply.

If you bought a standard Browning 725 and found a grade 5 stock for a 725, you should be able to swap it straight over. Each model would have unique considerations. Taking the 725 for example, some of the newer ones have a balancing system (although that might just be the prosport/protrap ones). 

As far as the fore end goes, yep, that should be a straight swap as well as long as it's the same calibre of gun (12 bore to 12 bore for example). 

Be careful with Perazzi stocks as I’m sure the mx12, Mx8 and Hight Tec models all have slightly different width receivers and as such going from one model to the other won’t really work. However, swapping stocks from guns in the same model range works fine. As for barrels then you might.find they can be made to fit but will often need to be fettled by a gunsmith due the H bolt locking mechanisms might have worn over time at different levels to that of the lugs on the breach end of the barrels.😀

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'd be looking at a Browning 525 swap which I figured was likely to be more straightforward than most, but it's just to get an adjustable comb if one came up and I really felt like going down that route. My stock isn't particularly attractive either, so a higher grade wood would be nice, but I reckon it'd be much cheaper just getting it retro fitted instead of looking around for one... not even sure they do/did an adjustable comb on many Sporter Ones. Interesting about the fore end though as I have a schnabel and I think the game version was beaver. Don't think that would matter too much to me but having never shot a beaver fore end one never knows... well aware some people hate the feel of a schnabel.

Yes, I could trade for summat else, but my 525 does all I want it to really and it's my first gun... not sure I have a need or desire to get anything else. :)

Browning woodwork for the 525 and the Miroku 38 , 60 and 70  Is interchangeable as they are the same gun . The problem you’ll have is sourcing gd 5 woodwork . A new stock and fore end will cost more than your current gun cost you .  Second hand you’ll be lucky to get a gd 5 set for for £500 if one ever came up . 

Gd 5 woodwork is a bit denser , your gun might feel different with it fitted 

It's been my experience with Berettas, Perazzis, and Brownings (US market) that forends and butts are interchangeable to the extent that minor attention to the fitting will make it so.  Perazzi stocks have some notoriety for cracking and again my experience has been that that is nothing more than the result of cramming on a stock that simply is not properly fitted.  I've fixed more than a couple that had CRACKS that extended well into the wrist, even on one into the pistol grip (which is in use now on an mid '70s Mirage).  I mean that was one determined MFer that  screwed that one on and a testimony to the strength of Perazzi fixing bolts hahaha.

At any rate if it don't fit don't just get a bigger hammer - get someone who knows WTF they're doing

just a thot

Well, I'd be looking at a Browning 525 swap which I figured was likely to be more straightforward than most, but it's just to get an adjustable comb if one came up and I really felt like going down that route. My stock isn't particularly attractive either, so a higher grade wood would be nice, but I reckon it'd be much cheaper just getting it retro fitted instead of looking around for one... not even sure they do/did an adjustable comb on many Sporter Ones. Interesting about the fore end though as I have a schnabel and I think the game version was beaver. Don't think that would matter too much to me but having never shot a beaver fore end one never knows... well aware some people hate the feel of a schnabel.

Yes, I could trade for summat else, but my 525 does all I want it to really and it's my first gun... not sure I have a need or desire to get anything else. :)
Is yours a 525 laminate, as I tried one when looking for my first shootgun and was really put off by how light and small it felt in my hands, but then tried a 525 with a walnut stock and beavertail forend and was taken aback by how different it felt.

Back