Any A400 Xcel users out there....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iggy

Anodising cannot 'chip off' as the colour is actually within the surface of the metal rather than an applied finish (like paint). If silver is showing then the surface of the metal has been worn away through the depth of the finish (typically 15 to 25 microns) which doesn't sound right!

DT

Iggy

Anodising cannot 'chip off' as the colour is actually within the surface of the metal rather than an applied finish (like paint). If silver is showing then the surface of the metal has been worn away through the depth of the finish (typically 15 to 25 microns) which doesn't sound right!

DT
Thanks for the info DT, that could come in handy when I'm dealing with GMK - hopefully they'll be fine about it, but it's good to have some info from someone who understands the process.

It's definitely chipped off down to the metal as I can feel it with a finger nail and I can only conclude it's been caused by the rearward travel of the cocking bolt as no other moving part goes near that area as far as I can make out.

Think I'll change my screen name to Lucky Bob.....

£1400 or £14.00, does not matter a bit, if whatever you buy is faulty or not performing as it should, then you are entitled to have it put right or a refund. I personally, would not buy a used gun that had marks on it such as those that you have shown, simply because I believe that there is a fault that has caused them. The fault, be it just on your gun or by design, requires rectification and you are well within your rights to demand that it be done. I have never had dealings with GMK, but one of my shooting pals has. His 391 was having more cycling problems than Mr. Wiggins, but after 2 visits back to GMK, via the local dealer, a new action and trigger group sorted the problem. So do NOT be fobbed off, demand that it be put right and accept nothing less. Good Luck and keep us informed. 

£1400 or £14.00, does not matter a bit, if whatever you buy is faulty or not performing as it should, then you are entitled to have it put right or a refund. I personally, would not buy a used gun that had marks on it such as those that you have shown, simply because I believe that there is a fault that has caused them. The fault, be it just on your gun or by design, requires rectification and you are well within your rights to demand that it be done. I have never had dealings with GMK, but one of my shooting pals has. His 391 was having more cycling problems than Mr. Wiggins, but after 2 visits back to GMK, via the local dealer, a new action and trigger group sorted the problem. So do NOT be fobbed off, demand that it be put right and accept nothing less. Good Luck and keep us informed.
Thanks for the reply and it's interesting to hear your comment about price and potential impact on used/trade in values etc - I agree entirely.

To be fair the dealer has been supportive so far, so I'll take it back next week after this weekends shooting. It'll be interesting to see if the anodised finish gets any worse after another couple of hundred shells have gone through it.

I will keep you informed.

To be fair to our local Dealer, he was very patient and supportive too and thankfully a long standing Beretta agent. It was annoying that GMK would not accept that there was a problem with the standard of finish,  BUT changed the receiver anyway. Another of my shooting companions, we are all getting on a bit and some have switched to an auto for recoil (or lack of) reasons, had problems with a 391 Urika, not cycling. We changed everything on the gun but all to no avail. GMK did eventually replace the whole gun, but not without a fight and they STILL would not concede that there had been a fault. So, keep at them and they will back down EVENTUALLY.  

Thanks for the info DT, that could come in handy when I'm dealing with GMK - hopefully they'll be fine about it, but it's good to have some info from someone who understands the process.

It's definitely chipped off down to the metal as I can feel it with a finger nail and I can only conclude it's been caused by the rearward travel of the cocking bolt as no other moving part goes near that area as far as I can make out.

Think I'll change my screen name to Lucky Bob.....
It's up to the dealer to either repair the gun or give you a refund, not GMK.

Iggy,

The nicks could have been caused by an empty case bouncing off a cage or something, which is quite a normal thing if you shoot an auto.

There's no-way the cocking handle can move enough to catch the receiver to mark it.

Back