adj comb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

apologies  if this has been explained , but I've noticed a few top shots with adj combs set at a angle  as opposed  to  horizontal  straight  .   ?  

Have a look on www.gunlore.com

It'll give you some useful information about gunfit as well as debunking a few myths that exist within the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
apologies  if this has been explained , but I've noticed a few top shots with adj combs set at a angle  as opposed  to  horizontal  straight  .   ?  
Expect it is to make the comb the same drop along it’s length so that it doesn’t matter where you mount your cheek on the stock it will be at the same height in relation to the rib. 

Have a look on www.gunlore.com

It debunks a few myths about gunfit as well as having more useful information about shooting in general.
That’s opened up a can of worms is someone suggesting the designers stockers of trap guns vs sporting or game guns have got it wrong all these years and stock set up has nothing to do with point of impact if so I am not convinced

That’s opened up a can of worms is someone suggesting the designers stockers of trap guns vs sporting or game guns have got it wrong all these years and stock set up has nothing to do with point of impact if so I am not convinced
What it's saying is quite simple really and is easily proved by shooting a pattern plate or a straight away target. That is, the position of the eye above the rib will not, within reason, determine where the pattern is placed. What's important is that the comb isn't too low and that you're looking at the target. Your hands will follow your eyes and the target will be hit.

That comb height determines pattern placement is one of those myths that have been perpetuated by so many they've eventually been accepted as fact, often by those that don't really understand how we shoot moving targets with a shotgun.

Anyway, this one's been discussed in detail before. Read the article if you wish, whether you accept it or not is up to you.

That is, the position of the eye above the rib will not, within reason, determine where the pattern is placed. What's important is that the comb isn't too low and that you're looking at the target. Your hands will follow your eyes and the target will be hit.
A lot of sporting shooters use unmodified trap guns, ignore the choke argument, and shoot very well with them.

My gun was always set up so I could see a bit of rib yet if I tried a friends trap gun that he used for sporting I always broke the clays.

Vic.

What it's saying is quite simple really and is easily proved by shooting a pattern plate or a straight away target. That is, the position of the eye above the rib will not, within reason, determine where the pattern is placed. What's important is that the comb isn't too low and that you're looking at the target. Your hands will follow your eyes and the target will be hit.

That comb height determines pattern placement is one of those myths that have been perpetuated by so many they've eventually been accepted as fact, often by those that don't really understand how we shoot moving targets with a shotgun.

Anyway, this one's been discussed in detail before. Read the article if you wish, whether you accept it or not is up to you.
IMO - total bunk

I have adjustable combs on almost everything and would not be without them.  Gun fit is an all encompassing set of criteria and comb height is, to me and seemingly most of the shooting world, one of the most critical.  Were it not, why would folks like Perazzi takes such pains to insure a proper height, etc., for their clients when fitting a new gun?  If the gun fits exactly right it will perform better for you.  Why would you not want that and just shoot whatever? 

FWIW English gunmakers have had for over a century these massively adjustable things called "try stocks" (remember them?), the basis for the ergo stocks of today.  Now why would they have come up with such a thing over 100 years ago if it did not serve some purpose?

I shoot sporing, 5-stand, and FITASC... trap and skeet only for practice. My stock maker persuaded me to try parallel comb a couple of years ago and I could not be happier. I feel like my mount (and shooting in general) became much more consistent. To each his own, of course.

EkN1gP

One of my 'Club Guns' was an old Miroku 3800 trap gun, fitted (as standard) with a Monte Carlo  (parallel comb) stock. I can NEVER,  in 17 years of having the gun, remember anyone shooting badly with it,  regardless of their experience.  In fact there were probably more 25 DTL straights shot with it than I care to remember. I also saw a lot of very good scores on the Compact layout,  with the same gun  !    A lot of adjustable comb shooters tried to copy the same stock set up on their own guns.

One of my 'Club Guns' was an old Miroku 3800 trap gun, fitted (as standard) with a Monte Carlo  (parallel comb) stock. I can NEVER,  in 17 years of having the gun, remember anyone shooting badly with it,  regardless of their experience.  In fact there were probably more 25 DTL straights shot with it than I care to remember. I also saw a lot of very good scores on the Compact layout,  with the same gun  !    A lot of adjustable comb shooters tried to copy the same stock set up on their own guns.
First clay lesson I ever had was with 1970’s  28 inch barrel 3800 with Monte Carlo choked skeet and skeet, I was greatly looking forward to my Olympic gold after that first lesson!

Well for my three hap'ith I shoot with a very high comb and it does not affect the POA at all. In fact last year at Lonato I was lucky enough to shot with an excellent shot who could not believe I could break a target with the comb that high. It is all about knowing where your gun is pointing and if you know that all the other things are just unimportant... yes a great gun fit can make things more comfortable for the shooter but for me as a trap shooter gun fit is not an overriding factor. The important thing is to know where your gun is pointing and look only at the target then break it ... its that simple :)  

Gun fit is an all encompassing set of criteria and comb height is, to me and seemingly most of the shooting world, one of the most critical.
Really ? I think that people have a hope that because someone says something it instils confidence. If I went to Perazzi with my gun and they said NO! NO! NO! it should be like this... I would politely decline their kind offer of assistance. Everybody has  a list of priorities seeing the target is my first.

historically I have enjoyed a good POI and POA debate ....but now I find I just cant be chuffing bothered.  :D

There is one other very variable factor in gun set up, the shooters mind. Personally I believe that some shooters (especially beginners) are prone to gun fit being important for POA as they tend to be highly aware of (maybe even partially looking at) the muzzle. I recall setting up my own stock on a pattern plate when I was new and it was dictating where I shot. For many people, usually more experienced or with a different visual approach, I think gun fit is 95% about comfort, both in your body stance and with recoil. The actual hitting the clay bit is fine regardless, once you are sensing where the gun is pointing rather than setting yourself up with hard geometry. 

Comb height IS important but also very personal, it has at least as much to do with one's preferred "sight picture" as any perceived POI effect. Yes POI can be raised or lowered geometrically speaking but in English sporting at any rate the main contribution of adj combs is to dial in the right sight pic and recoil phase. 

I think gun fit is 95% about comfort, both in your body stance and with recoil.
This!

I shoot trap a discipline that is shot gun up actual gun fit is a comfort factor... knowing where you are pointing your gun while watching the target is the secret to good scores... Of course only my opinion . However everybody has a different approach to breaking the target. As an example of gun fit and mind games a young shooter at our club has just bought a new TSK stock for his gun. He has had it dialled in to his fit to perfection by the stocker who supplied it... he is shooting no better than he did with another stock he had made to fit him at some expense! I have to say that in my opinion some shooters believe what they are told and if they spend the cash that some how or other it is just a given that scores are going to improve . I have said to this guy on a few occasions that the stock would be a pointless exercise for me as my gun is not the problem... I am :lol:  . On Saturday last I shot a straight 25 using only 27 cartridges doing something like that is not luck and it, for me at least, illustrates that gun fit is not the overriding factor, it is about concentration and seeing the target properly... however tomorrow I am taking 112 cartridges for the four rounds just in case I second barrel more often :lol:

Comb height IS important but also very personal, it has at least as much to do with one's preferred "sight picture" as any perceived POI effect. Yes POI can be raised or lowered geometrically speaking but in English sporting at any rate the main contribution of adj combs is to dial in the right sight pic and recoil phase. 
Yes, comb height does change from person to person because target perception is different from person to person.  I work with a lot of top shooters and this is why I pay very little attention to what they say is going on on a patterning board and far more attention to where the rubber meets the road.  I've seen AA Trap shooters that mysteriously can't come close to hitting a dot on a patterning board.  Why is that?  Well, there are several reasons, by I chalk it up to target perception mostly.  Drop at comb is by far the most important stock dimension...the rest is mostly comfort.  

On my Parallel Target i see masses of rib you could stack 3 maybe 4 pound coins on the rear of the barrel,shoot as well with it as my other guns ;)

On my Parallel Target i see masses of rib you could stack 3 maybe 4 pound coins on the rear of the barrel,shoot as well with it as my other guns ;)
Just goes to show that the "figure 8" being an essential sight picture is pure myth....because it is.  

Latest posts

Back