Adding a palm swell..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunc

The carved foam pad and insulating tape on my 'homemade' palm swell works a treat, and felt good on its first outing today.  But, insulating tape and foam on a Grade 5 stock just doesn't look quite right.  :blush:

There is a Kick Eez Palm Swell available quite cheaply but I believe that keeping it attached (to the chequering) is/could be a problem.  Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to attach an 'add-on' palm swell without damaging the current stock, or at least keeping the stock intact to revert to the original in the future?  I can't see how it could be possible but maybe it is!

Thanks in advance :)  

I have had them on several guns and have one on an old gun now.  Clean the area really well and it'll stick till you pull it off.  It will do no damage at all.  It will not stick twice so put it where you want it to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
​Brilliant.  Didn't know that this stuff existed.  Thanks!
I made a cheek pad out of thermoplast and a prototype control column grip for a sailplane. It's very handy stuff! Once it is back to room temperature it's as hard as wood but when it's at about 70 degrees it's highly workable.

​Brilliant.  Didn't know that this stuff existed.  Thanks!
​I have been experimenting with this stuff a a fair bit on the grip of my PFS, you need to work it into the shape of a flat sheet (thicker on one side to provide the shape of grip you want and/or finger impressions in my case) long enough to go around the whole grip.

The reason for this is that unless the ends meet and re-attach themselves, they won't stick in situ. When warm/hot you can use a pair of a scissors to quickly snip off the excess from all areas leaving just enough to do the job. Hard to do but incredibly stable when you pull it off. I went for black powder colouring on mine as it blends in with the stock colour, brown should suffice for wood.

You can warm the mangled plastic in boiling water and start all over again, just like Terminator 2.

​I have been experimenting with this stuff a a fair bit on the grip of my PFS, you need to work it into the shape of a flat sheet (thicker on one side to provide the shape of grip you want and/or finger impressions in my case) long enough to go around the whole grip.

The reason for this is that unless the ends meet and re-attach themselves, they won't stick in situ. When warm/hot you can use a pair of a scissors to quickly snip off the excess from all areas leaving just enough to do the job. Hard to do but incredibly stable when you pull it off. I went for black powder colouring on mine as it blends in with the stock colour, brown should suffice for wood.

You can warm the mangled plastic in boiling water and start all over again, just like Terminator 2.
​Thanks again.  I was in two minds about posting this thread - not really believeing that there was something like what you've suggested.  Glad now that I've done so.  Will be experimenting with nylon ties or elastic strap through the thermoplast palm swell to see if that would work.  Have put the old tin of isopon back in the garage :)  

A wooden rolling pin and a plastic cutting board ( or the kitchen worktop ) allow you to work the plastic into a thin sheet without losing heat from the material. :)

Slight aside , remember awhile ago  seeing gloves you can buy from america with built in palm swells (either handed ) !!

Back