Addicted to skeet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Salopian.

So two hours to Faux and another hour from there to Park Farm you say?

Not bad I guess, considering that SW2000 in South Wales is over 4 hours away for me..

hay salop inew somthing was missing from my pool i found the rod but the nome had gone

WelshKen, 

I cannot be more specific on time and distance because obviously it depends on what day, time , traffic etc. I just mentioned Faux because I know you shoot there. Basically plan a route to Worcester from home. But I would think North Wales Expressway to M6 then South to M6 J8 M5 J6 hang a right boot it for 4 miles and it's on your left.

Skeet, honestly.. Really? I tried out a new pair of glasses today, so thought I would try a single round of skeet to start. (Haven't shot skeet for a year - and not much of it ever-). I hit 25 with my half choke sporter on a blustery day. Any good? :)

Skeet, honestly.. Really? I tried out a new pair of glasses today, so thought I would try a single round of skeet to start. (Haven't shot skeet for a year - and not much of it ever-). I hit 25 with my half choke sporter on a blustery day. Any good? :)
Depends how many it was out of Will.

Hello Clever, 25x25 is excellent. Personally I find the last 25 for a hundred straight the hardest. How do you find it?

Hello Clever, 25x25 is excellent. Personally I find the last 25 for a hundred straight the hardest. How do you find it?
No idea. Couldn't possibly imagine standing there long enough to do 4 rounds while remaining awake. :)

(Actually I did try once in 2006 when I couldn't shoot. Dropped 4 on the last round for 93 due to brain rot).

No idea. Couldn't possibly imagine standing there long enough to do 4 rounds while remaining awake. :)

(Actually I did try once in 2006 when I couldn't shoot. Dropped 4 on the last round for 93 due to brain rot).
Yeah, I know the feeling. I shot sporting once. Whilst paddling through the mud amongst the barbour and baikal brigade, I thought there must be a more professional side to clay shooting than this.

It sure buggered up my concentration, I only shot 85!

Yeah, I know the feeling. I shot sporting once. Whilst paddling through the mud amongst the barbour and baikal brigade, I thought there must be a more professional side to clay shooting than this.

It sure buggered up my concentration, I only shot 85!
I could recommend a better venue for you next time. :)

Once again you lot are missing the point.

You have to be practically brain dead to shoot skeet .

This is why my Dad , Joe is a 25 times International .

Over 25 years dead ! Frozen in a time warp.

That's pretty decent shooting Will, shame you find it so boring because it sounds like you could go far in the discipline, I've shot a few straight rounds over the years but not generally too clever at it.

That's pretty decent shooting Will, shame you find it so boring because it sounds like you could go far in the discipline, I've shot a few straight rounds over the years but not generally too clever at it.
All joking apart, if there weren't so many great sporting shoots around here (sorry to rub it in) I might just do it occasionally.. I'm digging skeeters in the ribs, only because sporting is so much more involved and interesting. Nothing wrong with doing skeet if it floats your boat of course..

clever your not old enough to remember the great sporting shoot back in the 60 and 70 thats when shooters had to shoot gun down not like today i see more shooters with gun up you might has well shoot D T L were do they get all those colouring pen from

Steve Keatling,

To get your thread slightly back on track......

Addiction according to the dictionary is:-  informal enthusiastically devoted to a particular thing or activity:

I am very much in your position and have been for a number of years. I used to be a very keen sporting shooter for a number of years till someone suggested i shoot some skeet to help my mental game and maybe improve my sporting that final few % to be able to compete in the bigger shoots. 

Trouble was once i tried skeet i barely shot any sporting again. Skeet appeals to my nature and despite it getting a "ribbing" (I know much of it in jest) there is a lot to aim for and the goals are easily defined as you have the "rounds" aspect of the discipline to measure yourself against. We also have the bonus of three main variants of "Skeet" here in the UK.

The obvious one to begin with is our domestic skeet version known as English / National Skeet. (ESK)

You have mini goals:- Straight a stand, first 25 straight, first 50 straight and so on up till the first 100 straight.

This can then alongside (or after) open up to the Doubles (SKD) version of English / National Skeet and you have the same "mini-goals" within that version aswell. 

You can of course then aim for "titles" and gaining your England "cap" and the selection shoot procedures which is a whole adventure and addiction on its own. Chasing multiple "caps" so you can one day captain England in a "Home International" - thing of this as shootings "Five Nations" and the pride in doing this!!

There is also nothing to stop you alongside ESK and SKD setting the additional challenge of shooting American (NSSA) skeet and this opens up massive potential to compete in the "World Skeet Championships" in San Antonio. It also gives the option to compete in events using multiple gauges 12, 20, 28 and .410 and they also run a doubles event.

This option in turn offers the "mini-goals" along the way as before but this time in each gauge - first 25 in each etc etc up till you have scored a perfect 100 using each gauge. Then you can expand further and do things that few Brits have ever done.

Win a "gauge world championship" - in this case only TWO ever have -

Craig Lakey - 2001 Doubles, 2004 12 Gauge (He actually used the 20 gauge to win this title and ran 250 straight in the main event - plus won the shoot-off!!)

Pete Usher 2008 28 Gauge. (Edited to change year to 2008)

Then there is also something that only ONE brit has ever done where you 100 straight all 4 gauges at a single shoot in one weekend. This is called a 400 x 400. The only time this has been done by a Brit was 2004 by Nick Coupe.

Of course last and certainly not least is the "Olympic" version of skeet (OSK) - while not for the faint hearted it does offer a "skeet" route to the "games" and none of the sporting disciplines currently offer this route in peoples addiction quest. We have some very good OSK shooters and coaches in the UK and as yet NO-ONE from the UK has won and individual gold at OSK in the games - so quite a challenge if you choose this route in the quest to feed your addiction to skeet.

Enjoy the skeet journey whichever route you choose to take - above all have fun - and certainly do not let people put you off if you enjoy it, as there are something's in skeet that despite being described as boring / too easy - very few people from this country have ever achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve you may want to try Olympic Skeet, it's faster, shot gun down with a variable release delay of up to 3 seconds from the call and 24g carts only. I almost exclusively shoot nothing else now. Sooooooo addictive! I get withdrawal symptoms!!!!!

Back