About time plastic wads were banned ..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would 21g or 24g be less pollution ? Think about this for a second  :huh:  lead is still lead and if the quantity deposited is under scrutiny then surely the next step would be to tax the busier grounds !  :wacko:

We so need a material that decomposes, but from which a conventional plastic type wad design can be made. Best of all worlds. It has to be out there somewhere. Can’t believe cost is an issue if it was a huge volume production. 
There is such a material. Its what Browning/miroku use for their firing pins.

Using / utilising plastic is good business as this generates plastic waste, this so called waste can then be recycled, having a "recycling ethical badge" for any business is good for profits as certain companies give you money for your plastic (a bit like plastic scrap as opposed to metal scrap) if a business is seen to be recycling then even the government will give you monetary incentives. I was at a very well known shooting ground the other day and there must of been at least 20 ton's of plastic wads all seperated in to ton cages awaiting collection, no company goes to all that effort for no monetary return. All in all their is no way that plastic wads will be banned.

Something to muse over when you are cycling to your next shoot then  ??
I walk to 80 - 90% of my shooting, shame that others don’t do even 10% of that...

Correct, how many millions of plastic bottles get dropped on the ground every day....
That’s really no excuse, just back ground noise, absolutely no need for plastic wads 

Looks like a nascent industry here - Introducing the Sensational WAD VACUUM !!!!   Also provides grounds owners with a wonderful new source of revenue charging shooters for collecting hazardous waste material.  

Seldom see these days such a broad economic potential in penalizing an unprotected segment of society.  Particularly since there is absolutely no basis whatsoever for a ban - - just like the knee jerk lead shot ban.
You miss the point,  there is no need for plastic wads at all, if no one could use them then there is no competitive disadvantage 

A  local gentleman has developed a totally biodegradable synthetic wad that is exactly the same to look at as a plastic wad .

He gave samples to Hull , Gamebore , Eley and BASC .

All  of them have showed very little  interest  at all .

Hull said they did have an alternative but it was cost prohibitive .

IF our Governing bodies decreed we all had to use fibre it would be job done , if we all had to shoot 21gram or 24 gram it would be less pollution .

So you have to ask yourself who cares?
Completely agree!

+1

Or they could decree that we use Pea shooters and Balloons as targets.

I don't get this lets be holier than though theme  at the expense of destroying the activity we enjoy.  :suicide: .
There is no need to throw plastic into the countryside on purpose.. not a difficult concept to grasp surely?

MrPP, as one of the many who wont be buying The Times today, quite possibly never Id add, its not helping me seeing the full extent of the argument against plaswads, as asked earlier can you not post a link / elaborate? Im not lucky enough to live within walking distance of the clay grounds I frequent, one would add these are all bounded in grounds threfore any deemed “contamination” or the like is restricted within the boundary of said site.

One does feel that some of the arguments against products such as plaswads could and is often trotted out in such a way that you could virtually / eventually ban everything.

It's nice to see so many sensible comments about surely what is a very real problem to our environment .

As for those of you that cannot see that plastic wad pollution is a real problem , may I suggest a visit to Ed Lyons , there are none so blind as those that cannot see.

Those that believe that fibre wadded cartridges are vastly inferior to plastic wadded are only demonstrating their lack of experience.

It's nice to see so many sensible comments about surely what is a very real problem to our environment .

As for those of you that cannot see that plastic wad pollution is a real problem , may I suggest a visit to Ed Lyons , there are none so blind as those that cannot see.

Those that believe that fibre wadded cartridges are vastly inferior to plastic wadded are only demonstrating their lack of experience.
Just out of interest, how do you personally see plastic wads as a huge environmental problem yet seemingly feel it's OK to spray lead into the countryside ? I mean either you're going to admit that both play an adverse part or you're cherry picking to suit a particular argument.

Part deux - asking for a friend : 

Rich developer mate is having to chose between two 120 acre sites that have both been used as clay shoots for 3-4 decades one of which has always allowed 28g but the other cut back on polluting the environment 2 years ago and went a holistic yoga like 24g  :rolleyes: , he has asked me to work out the savings he'd make in fewer hours spent collecting said lead shots. My initial reaction was to pick the one with more lead deposits since the market for same is rather buoyant but I'm open to wise commenteers who may feel 0.001% less lead on the ground will make a better purchase bet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamid,

To try and answer your concerns .

I have been a staunch opponent to the anti-lead brigade for many years.

Lead is a natural mineral found in the Earth , mined in Britain since befor Roman times , used to convey water for centuries .

Plastic is a man made medium that it is proven does not biodegrade for many many years.

I only promote using smaller loads of lead to show that shooters are actually responsible and prepared to make an effort to improve the environment.

When you consider that the industry has had over twenty years to come up with an economic viable environmentally friendly substitute to Lead shot it is a poor show that they have achieved nothing.

But thanks to the combined efforts of Gamebore and Hull cartridge company , it will soon be cheaper to shoot pure Gold. Sad really as I coined the phrase Pure Gold for a Gamebore brand that lead to White Gold & Black Gold.

If it is of any help Hamid , your friend should research 'The Stiperstones ' and Minsterley in Shropshire , lead mining communities since Roman times without any significant environmental issues compared with other communities and actually home to very large Vegetable, Meat and Dairy industries  so much of our food is being produced and packaged in this ' Lead polluted ' area.

Interestingly not much is heard or published about the consequences of soft iron or steel shot , how ferrous oxide destroys grass and pastureland .

I walk to 80 - 90% of my shooting, shame that others don’t do even 10% of that...

That’s really no excuse, just back ground noise, absolutely no need for plastic wads 

You miss the point,  there is no need for plastic wads at all, if no one could use them then there is no competitive disadvantage 

Completely agree!

There is no need to throw plastic into the countryside on purpose.. not a difficult concept to grasp surely?

It's not  into the countryside..they are generally used on shooting grounds.

The fact is that Plaswads are very effective and a cost efficient way of producing consistant performance.

They have to be used on the foreshore due to the use of steel shot. 

Like most things there's a balance but banning things and taking a stance that would be  more suited to a Greenpeace activist isn't the way foward.

Hope your cloud is comfy.  :angel:

I have tried it BUT it can get a bit hairy,  jogging on the M6, especially carrying a gun  !

There are plentiful other far more polluting aspects in daily life that could be improved upon which would have far more impact.
How about banning  'McDonalds'  ??

You miss the point that plastic provides a superior product in a variety of way.  As for excuses I'd bet the industry excuse of cost is BS as the scale factor is examined.  

You can be as green as you wish and as Rich said

One does feel that some of the arguments against products such as plaswads could and is often trotted out in such a way that you could virtually / eventually ban everything.
I'd wager that cosmetics and the associated waste comprise a world wide pollution several orders of magnitude over plastic wads.  Let's ban all of that!

or just people - the waste/pollution associated with their simple being is near incalculable!  I have some that would be well recommended to be first in line

Somebody needs to come up with a suitable ban to ban all the banning so we can all keep banging.?

MrPP, as one of the many who wont be buying The Times today, quite possibly never Id add, its not helping me seeing the full extent of the argument against plaswads, as asked earlier can you not post a link / elaborate? Im not lucky enough to live within walking distance of the clay grounds I frequent, one would add these are all bounded in grounds threfore any deemed “contamination” or the like is restricted within the boundary of said site.

Not plaswads exclusively... all plastic waste..

Guys, it’s really simple, willingly flinging plastic around the planet when there is an entirely suitable alternative is simply not acceptable.  

one thing to remember in all this cr** the human race and animals has been polluting the earth for a very long time all living creatures produce polluting fall out but the earth survives we may scar it a bit cut down too many trees etc but eventually the earth will finish us all off . it tried with the ice age but enough life survived to allow us to develop. just my thoughts but the earth will survive regardless of us and our pollutants we will all die out in a few million years by which time we will probably be polluting another world somewhere ,

so just shoot plaswads,drink water from plastic bottles,run cars and lorrys and planes and enjoy yourselves

that's my rant cant stand the ban it mob

Good article in Today’s shooting times about Plastic Wads, coupled with shooting out of range game and volumes of game that can’t be consumed I don’t think we need antis to shut down our sport, we are doing pretty well ourselves!

To be honest if that happened I think I would pack it in... I hate fibre and so does my gun. However is there any real evidence that banning plastic wads would in any great measure change anything? Or is this just a knee jerk reaction to pollution of the environment by plastic? I had to drive 160km round trip to shoot today the fumes from my diesel engine caused more havoc than the wads that are still lying on the grass at the shooting range... and most of those will be cleared up to be disposed of. Now if we could just stop people pissing and sh*tting we would improve the quality of the waterways, beaches and seas greatly ... that's it ban sh*tting!

one thing to remember in all this cr** the human race and animals has been polluting the earth for a very long time all living creatures produce polluting fall out but the earth survives we may scar it a bit cut down too many trees etc but eventually the earth will finish us all off . it tried with the ice age but enough life survived to allow us to develop. just my thoughts but the earth will survive regardless of us and our pollutants we will all die out in a few million years by which time we will probably be polluting another world somewhere ,

so just shoot plaswads,drink water from plastic bottles,run cars and lorrys and planes and enjoy yourselves

that's my rant cant stand the ban it mob
100% agree, all this environmental bu****it is negated by the fact that when the earth actually becomes affected by plastic pollution it will be a million years from now by which time our children, their children, their children, etc etc will all be dead so it really doesnt matter. 

Back