A gun for the wife

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I initially found my 12bore a bit heavy, but that was probably because I'd never shot before.  Now I don't find any problem with it most of the time.  Occassionally my arms get a little tired when waiting for what seems like ages for some of the overhead targets at West Kent to come across, but not often.  I use 28g cartridges and don't have any problems with bruising as long as I've mounted the gun properly.

Definitely make sure the stock is shortened if she's not tall.  Mine's down to 13 and 1/2 inches and is comfortable.  Maybe instead of getting the to chamfered off maybe look at going straight for a Jones adjuster or the adjustable Isis pad.  I'm planning on getting one put on my gun, as I think for me its not just a matter of reducing the toe but also altering the angle of the stock to keep the gun straight.

Must admit I'm tempted to get a 20bore, but that not because I've got any regrets about the 12bore, I'm just hooked and fancy owning a second gun.
Hey there,

Regarding what is in bold.  A Jones or Isis adjustable pad, does not change your pitch angle.  It allows you to have the butt pad in the right place and move the gun around.  Pitch requires taking a thin wedge, from the back of the gun, so that the angle of the pad, conforms more to the angle of your body at the contact point.

That said, the awesome ISIS Green Pad does come with a chamfered toe. 

:)

Hey there,

Regarding what is in bold.  A Jones or Isis adjustable pad, does not change your pitch angle.  It allows you to have the butt pad in the right place and move the gun around.  Pitch requires taking a thin wedge, from the back of the gun, so that the angle of the pad, conforms more to the angle of your body at the contact point.

That said, the awesome ISIS Green Pad does come with a chamfered toe. 

:)
I over simplified.  For me its not just the toe sticking out, its having to mount it high in my shoulder to avoid having to force my head down onto the stock.At the moment mounting properly would mean only the toe is touching my shoulder. Probably a result of having to shorten the stock so much that my cheek is much further up the gun and the drop is reduced as a result.

On my Beretta the actual timber is fairly straight, its the beretta pad that kicks out at the bottom.  Putting the adjustable isis pad on would straightent the whole thing out.  It would also let me sit the stock lower, which means that it wouldn't just be the toe that touching my shoulder.  I can then also angle the pad, as if I really fit the stock into my shoulder pocket the gun is actually at a slight angle.

I over simplified.  For me its not just the toe sticking out, its having to mount it high in my shoulder to avoid having to force my head down onto the stock.At the moment mounting properly would mean only the toe is touching my shoulder. Probably a result of having to shorten the stock so much that my cheek is much further up the gun and the drop is reduced as a result.

On my Beretta the actual timber is fairly straight, its the beretta pad that kicks out at the bottom.  Putting the adjustable isis pad on would straightent the whole thing out.  It would also let me sit the stock lower, which means that it wouldn't just be the toe that touching my shoulder.  I can then also angle the pad, as if I really fit the stock into my shoulder pocket the gun is actually at a slight angle.

Oh I see.

Yeah,good idea.  I actually have the adjustable ISIS and it is certainly a great bit of kit and very light so doesn't add weight.

I would be careful about moving the gun too far up with the butt plate though, as it can act as a pivot point and cause muzzle flip.

Better to raise the comb a touch.

Weight isn't the issue IMO but balance most definitely is, get it back toward the body and she shouldn't have too many problems. A 9lb gun well balanced will feel lighter than a nose heavy 7lb. Mrs fuz picked up a K80 weighing in at 11lb when we were in Mulliner guns and said "god thats light" nope, it was just balanced very stock heavy.
Am in agreement with Fuzrat, balance is one of the most important factors - I have owned and currently shoot some heavy guns, but the balance suits me and therefore the gun doesn't feel heavy.  I do tend to find Kreigoffs and Brownings (my first gun was a Citori) - very heavy, but that is just me - others will find the balance and the weight of those guns really suit them.

What I would suggest, and this is to anyone considering buying a gun, is to get into the gun shop to have a 'look and feel' of the different guns available, get to a demo day to try and few out, speak to an instructor/coach to see what they experienced when teaching ladies, if you have some willing mates with different guns organise a social shoot for her to try some of them (if your mates are up for it). 

Unfortunately there is not a one size fits all option :mole:

PPS dont forget the pitch, ladies tend to need slightly less toe due to their wonderful assets getting in the way :)
A lot of them also need a gun with a higher comb because of their build. Have a look at a second hand trap gun, they are usually cheaper than a sporter. The weight combined with a 21 or 24 gram cartridge such as Hull Intercomp should make for a very soft shooting gun.

I'll say what many will think on here: go for a 12g.

I watched a 12 year old girl hit 71 at a registered shoot with hers today. There is less recoil and it need not be a heavy gun. The ammo comes cheaper and in better choice.

My wife is one of many ladies to have dumped a 20g in favour of a 12g.
Spot on Will, I couldn't agree more! If the 12G is fitted and balanced correctly by a good fitter/gunsmith, then any extra weight will not be detected anyway.

Thanks all.

I'm going to try and sort this tomorrow.

The shop has the Hunter and Sporter version in so will have a look at both, but I think the Hunter may be the better option.

Just bear in mind that a gun ALWAYS feels heavy to a beginner, because it is a new muscle set to train and because they will hold it up for longer than an experienced shot. If you buy something that 'doesn't feel heavy' it may be too light. You need some weight in a clay gun to afford stability in use.

Another local shop has a 2nd hand Beretta Silver Pigeon Universal Sporter. I wonder if this could be good as the front end would be a bit lighter.

I didn't really want to go for a Beretta as I own Brownings, but it could be good.

Just from a female point of view & IMO .....
I've been shooting for 2 yrs now and I've had 2 guns because I didn't try shooting different guns.
Also I found just getting used to holding and mounting the gun correctly and just feeling comfortable with it was a big part of the decision.

I have finally found the gun for me beretta 682 gold e 30" barrels and since my purchase I have noticed so many other lady shooters at other CPSA shoots with the same gun.

So I hope this helps! Happy gun shopping :)

I'll say what many will think on here: go for a 12g.

I watched a 12 year old girl hit 71 at a registered shoot with hers today. There is less recoil and it need not be a heavy gun. The ammo comes cheaper and in better choice.

My wife is one of many ladies to have dumped a 20g in favour of a 12g.
Likewise.

Just from a female point of view & IMO .....

I've been shooting for 2 yrs now and I've had 2 guns because I didn't try shooting different guns.

Also I found just getting used to holding and mounting the gun correctly and just feeling comfortable with it was a big part of the decision.

I have finally found the gun for me beretta 682 gold e 30" barrels and since my purchase I have noticed so many other lady shooters at other CPSA shoots with the same gun.

So I hope this helps! Happy gun shopping :)
Bit of a generalisation, but I always feel that the 682, 687 Berettas are better for small men and ladies as the weight is not out front..

Quick point to mention. Remember, if it feels good in the shop for balance but it is too long and you get the stock shortened, you need to put the weight of the cut off wood back into the back end.

Pretty simple but easy to overlook. I forgot this when I cut Mrs Fuz's gun down. She then bought a set of Victory extended chokes for it putting more weight up front. I shouldered it one day and nearly fell over forwards! We had taken just over an inch of walnut off the back and with the addition of the Victory chokes as well it was nigh on un-shootable. 

Very easy to fix with some fishing weights in the stockbolt hole, wrapped in foam to stop them rattling around :)

I went for the Browning B525 Game 1 with 28" barrels.

When I picked it up, it felt quite light at the front so I thought it would be easier to balance with part of the stock off.

Now I just need to give it to her and hope I don't get a b*ll*cking for spending some money, and then get it shortened and put some cartridges through it.

Thanks for all te advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for the Browning B525 Game 1 with 28" barrels.

When I picked it up, it felt quite light at the front so I thought it would be easier to balance with part of the stock off.

Now I just need to give it to her and hope I don't get a b*ll*cking for spending some money, and then get it shortened and put some cartridges through it.

Thanks for all te advise.
Well done, good luck with it. Don't forget to fit a decent recoil pad when you get the stock shortened. Isis green pad is best for performance, although a Kickeez is slightly softer to shoot. I would go Isis and use light shells.

With regards to stock length, do you think it is ok for me to get her to mount it so I can measure the distance between her nose and knuckle and then take that to the gunsmith and ask him to lop enough off to bring it to the right length?

Or does he actually NEED to see her with it?

With regards to stock length, do you think it is ok for me to get her to mount it so I can measure the distance between her nose and knuckle and then take that to the gunsmith and ask him to lop enough off to bring it to the right length?
From my experience I would think it would be better for gunsmith to see your wife mount the gun I case the pad needs to be twisted so it fits in the shoulder pocket better (which I had done on my browning due to me lady bits ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

From my experience I would think it would be better for gunsmith to see your wife mount the gun I case the pad needs to be twisted so it fits in the shoulder pocket better (which I had done on my browning due to me lady bits ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
As above; but also gun fit is a 'funny one'. Critically you need to be standing and holding the gun properly to ascertain the length and other issues. You can make a gun 'fit' by standing wrongly. So definitely see a gunsmith that knows gun fit before cutting. (Some gun smiths don't shoot or understand fit).

As I said; any gun you look at, get the shop to take the butt pad off, pretty much right away.  This should get you closer to where she needs to be and make it easier to assess how the gun feels.

Some excellent shooters are really cramped up against their thumb and still more excellent shooters, are miles away from their thumb...but...generally, not advisable.

Look at these two examples

About right:

female-shooter-940-1024x546.jpg

Too much.

350Clay_Shooting.jpg

Remember the 4:1 ratio.  Gil Ash in this video, is now a member on here, so perhaps message him, if you have any questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLnGM3DXE0

Last edited by a moderator:
Back