90yd edge on crosser

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why?

Average car is, say 10 feet?

I reckon you'd fit 27 of them on that line? No?
Average car is more like 14 foot long perhaps longer.

A Pug 107 is 11 foot long, a Pug 206 is 13 foot and a Mondeo 16 foot.

90 yards, 270 feet about 18 car lengths!

I'd rather drive 15 car lengths and shoot the damned thing from there!

( damn this cold I have, the meds I'm taking and the referendum results that are keeping me awake! )

Matt,

I think your Photograph is pretty much to scale .

I believe it is Robert Eaton who started this 'craze' as he reckons he can do it easily a number of times out of ten.

Next week, time permitting I will pattern a 21gram cartridge at various ranges around 90 metres.

I think we all are in for a rude awakening. 

Matt,
I think your Photograph is pretty much to scale .
I believe it is Robert Eaton who started this 'craze' as he reckons he can do it easily a number of times out of ten.
Next week, time permitting I will pattern a 21gram cartridge at various ranges around 90 metres.
I think we all are in for a rude awakening.
You're going to need a pattern plate the size of a Caravan!

tiroVesti seamless performance clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere on t'interweb, I once saw shot pattern described - over increasing distance - as a cigar shape. Opening out, to best effect then effectively getting smaller as the pattern dispersed leaving only a better dense centre.

90 yards, edge on, 21g any choke... Maybe 2 out of 10 on a good day with a following wind and lucky slippers.

Any more, not so long as you have a hole in your ars3...

I patterned my half choke many moons ago, it gave an inch per yard ie 30 yard 30 inch usable pattern, so on that basis 90 inch at 90 yards with 1/2 choke, that's not far off a 3 yard diameter pattern, it's going to be a little sparce to say the least!

I've seen Digweed do his record distance shooting on youtube and that was a teal I think and he was 32g black golds in 5s?

He did break a clay at quite a distance but that was in perfect conditions and was amazing about him talking how he has to drop the shot on to the target, so trying to shoot a 90yd crosser with half as much lead, choke, and face of target; good luck.

90 yards is almost the length of a football pitch, and I've shot plenty of rabbits with my HMR at that range and have been more than happy, let alone a flying disc of clay where you cant see much of it.

Perhaps try shooting a clay which is static against a bank at 90 yards and see if you can break it? I bet you wouldn't break many.

Perhaps try shooting a clay which is static against a bank at 90 yards and see if you can break it? I bet you wouldn't break many.
Actually you wouldn't break any, not a single one even if presented full face and fired at all day. The reason is the lack of spin because it is spin which leads tiny fractures to a clay ripping itself apart. In fact this phenomenon occurs much sooner, perhaps as little as 40 yards are enough to make you wonder if you're shooting blanks.

I buy boxes of blanks all the time and mix them in with the other shells.  Gives me those occasional misses that keep me from being god-like so other people will still talk with me.

I have patterned cartridges as 45 yards and even the good ones look a bit shabby out there, certainly for consistent edge on clays anyway. Weirdly, performance on real clays seems to look better than a pattern would suggest. But 90 yard edge on? Gotta be inconsistent at best.
Might be due to the fact that the clay is moving, to a greater or lesser degree, across the pattern in at least one direction, not sitting ' suspended' in it for the holes in the pattern to 'miss' it.  Maybe

I would pay to watch a going sideways job killed with 21g at 90yds with any degree of regularity and not occasional luck. 5 out of 10 should convince me.

I would pay to watch a going sideways job killed with 21g at 90yds with any degree of regularity and not occasional luck. 5 out of 10 should convince me.
I've got some 36 grm Gamebore Buffalo load 6's or if you turn them up the other way 9's.

They ought to do it.

When used as 9's they demolish the skeet huts.

Me, Scotty and Ollie tried this at Owls Lodge last year Wayne. Using full chokes and 6.5's we missed A LOT more than we hit....bit of a fluke when it happened to be honest. Ask Rich im sure he'll set something up for you 

Chris some young chap called Brett with Mr and Mrs Faulds shot the C bird at Owls from the Car park, also the Incomer, and they were only hitting

2-3 out of 10, I had to watch as I forgot I had swapped cars With Scott for the day and left my gun in cabinet. :crazy:

Chris some young chap called Brett with Mr and Mrs Faulds shot the C bird at Owls from the Car park, also the Incomer, and they were only hitting

2-3 out of 10, I had to watch as I forgot I had swapped cars With Scott for the day and left my gun in cabinet :crazy:
Haha yeah standard challenge at Owls Chubby....that would have been around the 80-90 yard mark

Both me and Chris broke a standard straight up/down face on teal at 131 yards (measured with a tape) in perfect conditions last summer. The trap was at the bottom of the bank (by stand 2) and fired a vertical target... We were standing level with the Middle of the OT layout to give you some idea. It was shot with a guerini game gun with 1/4 choke and Express Supreme 32g 5's and witnessed by the one and only tinker bell. As for 5 out of 10 on 90 yard edge on crossers... Dream on ⚡

Both me and Chris broke a standard straight up/down face on teal at 131 yards (measured with a tape) in perfect conditions last summer. The trap was at the bottom of the bank (by stand 2) and fired a vertical target... We were standing level with the Middle of the OT layout to give you some idea. It was shot with a guerini game gun with 1/4 choke and Express Supreme 32g 5's and witnessed by the one and only tinker bell. As for 5 out of 10 on 90 yard edge on crossers... Dream on ⚡
I was also there and can vouch for the accuracy of the above. Cracking shots.

Latest posts

Back