90yd edge on crosser

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspire

OK,it has been suggested that a 90yd edge on crosser,can be killed 5 out of 10 times,with a 28gauge,half choke and 21gm shell.

Hoping to see if we can set it up and try it out at Owls Lodge soon. Personally I think no way! Maybe you'll get a lucky pellet once or twice in fifty!? Maybe!

I'm waiting for some plaster to dry,so what do all you ballistics experts think?

I have patterned cartridges as 45 yards and even the good ones look a bit shabby out there, certainly for consistent edge on clays anyway. Weirdly, performance on real clays seems to look better than a pattern would suggest. But 90 yard edge on? Gotta be inconsistent at best.

I have wondered that as well.... how far is 90m at Owls Lodge.... from the 'rail' in front of the clubhouse, is the bank at the back 90m?  More or Less?

I'm not good at imagining distances....

I have wondered that as well.... how far is 90m at Owls Lodge.... from the 'rail' in front of the clubhouse, is the bank at the back 90m?  More or Less?

I'm not good at imagining distances....
From memory, I would say OLSS rail to bank is max 70? 90 is a long way out.. Ref with binoculars needed to spot the chips..

Wayne, not sure why or by whom 28 gauge specifically was suggested because all that matters is the payload and to some extent the choke. Ballistically that is all but impossible to achieve with any consistency, not only will pattern density be non existent but also depending on shot size the kinetic energy would be insufficient to deliver repeatable results, bear in mind you're looking at single lucky strikes here not multiple hits. 

We also have the problem of marksmanship but personally I think that is almost of secondary importance ! 

I have done a fair bit of sea fishing/casting plus air gunning so can make a fair stab of range estimation, 90 yards is actually not too ridiculous, if we were talking of battues presented face on I would say 50% hit/break rate using 28g is doable, 21g edge on my instinct says no.

what shot size are we using in the 21g.

i do not think you can break a clay at this distance edge on, George Digweed can be seen breaking a 110 yard teal on youtube, super full choke with black gold 6's

I'd say rail to bank at Owls would be 75-80yds.

Hammy,a 28gauge is what was used to apparently break this target. That's the only reason I stated it. I'd agree with you on the battues,and have actually done that myself at Owls.

90yds edge on,I just cannot believe!

I reckon it can be done with Hull CompX 21g 7.5 if the shooter is good enough. Not by me :) I'll put money on a world champion doing it.

Ermmm not sure but I'd keep it quite if they were hit 50 % of the time ...........  Steve L will think its a good standard clay to put on :spiteful: :crazy: :hunter:

I reckon it can be done with Hull CompX 21g 7.5 if the shooter is good enough. Not by me :) I'll put money on a world champion doing it.
Really? What's the bet? and which world champ is your money on? Although it's not going to come down to if the shooter is good enough!

Shot the actual target being mentioned ( at Coley's) it was a bigggggggg gap and it did really break proper (and there were witnesses haha) .....used Guerini ascent with L/F and the Fob BM3 7'S :nyam:   when I shot at it there was a fair bit of under carriage visible, and I opted to take it on while it was under power (two moving forces) if you shot it late it failed to break well ...would have guessed it was 70+m but did vary hell of alot   

Shot the actual target being mentioned ( at Coley's) it was a bigggggggg gap and it did really break proper (and there were witnesses haha) .....used Guerini ascent with L/F and the Fob BM3 7'S :nyam:   when I shot at it there was a fair bit of under carriage visible, and I opted to take it on while it was under power (two moving forces) if you shot it late it failed to break well ...would have guessed it was 70+m but did vary hell of alot   
So, 70 yards and showing underbelly. Well shot Clynt, but not the original target discussed by Wayne.

I'd say rail to bank at Owls would be 75-80yds.

Hammy,a 28gauge is what was used to apparently break this target. That's the only reason I stated it. I'd agree with you on the battues,and have actually done that myself at Owls.

90yds edge on,I just cannot believe!
I would guess at 75 yards because it is roughly on line with the OT stand.

Can someone bring me a rangefinder right now... I'm trying to work out how for 90yd is from my window at work... is it the edge of the lake? or the tree by the picnic tables?

Can someone bring me a rangefinder right now... I'm trying to work out how for 90yd is from my window at work... is it the edge of the lake? or the tree by the picnic tables?
Find your office on g o o g l e earth and use the measure tool from the top tool bar to pick out an object at 90 metres, dead simple. Click on your office and drag the line out until you hit 90 in the measure window. Use it all the time for measuring work up

Find your office on g o o g l e earth and use the measure tool from the top tool bar to pick out an object at 90 metres, dead simple. Click on your office and drag the line out until you hit 90 in the measure window. Use it all the time for measuring work up
I've used that to try to measure how far out the long crosser on the rabbit stand at West Kent is.  About 54m according to that, but it seems much further to me when I'm trying to hit it.

Latest posts

Back