7 deadly sins how to lose your shotgun certificate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised that someone without a shotgun license can be in possession of shotgun cartridges once they have been purchased by someone with a shotgun license...is this correct??

They did not include being a lazy skiving git !

I heard of an interesting case where some lazy B got signed off work with a bad dose of " work related stress" anyway the up shot of this was that he eventually was pensioned off on grounds of ill health. I have no way of proving this but apparently his GP informed the plod of this and he lost his guns. I was told this by someone who actually knew the person so I have to assume it was factual. The moral of the tale if you are a skiving git don't pull a mental health problem with your employer if you want to keep your guns! 

I was surprised that someone without a shotgun license can be in possession of shotgun cartridges once they have been purchased by someone with a shotgun license...is this correct??
You can buy them without a cert at any clay ground in the country! possession is not controlled (unless a prohibited person?)

Seems a little odd but you learn something new everyday!

I thought you could only shoot at a gun club or buy shells if you had a license or was accompanied by a SGC holder or under instruction

You can buy them without a cert at any clay ground in the country! possession is not controlled (unless a prohibited person?)
In that case any ground doing so is breaking the law.  A valid certificate must be asked for and provided before a sale of shotgun shells can take place even if the certificate had been seen earlier or the day before as it could have been revoked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a little odd but you learn something new everyday!

I thought you could only shoot at a gun club or buy shells if you had a license or was accompanied by a SGC holder or under instruction
Nope else how would you run a a "have a go" stand or "corporate event" ??? Get everyone to apply for a cert wait 3-24 months then go for it?

Section 1 is totally differnet but for clays there is a section 11(6) exemption to the firearms act.

Did you apply for a cert before even trying clay shooting?

Nope else how would you run a a "have a go" stand or "corporate event" ??? Get everyone to apply for a cert wait 3-24 months then go for it?

Section 1 is totally differnet but for clays there is a section 11(6) exemption to the firearms act.

Did you apply for a cert before even trying clay shooting?
I had a two lessons during my application process and the only way I was able to shoot would have been with another SGC holder. I wasn't able to buy shells without someone with a SGC

I had a two lessons during my application process and the only way I was able to shoot would have been with another SGC holder. I wasn't able to buy shells without someone with a SGC
Did they present the SGC? When  you went shooting?

Maybe i frequent lawless shoots but i bought 1000 carts the other weekend no one asked to see my cert, bought 250 the month before again no one asked to see my cert (prem+ ground), before that bought 250 again no cert seen. 

NOte buying from a shop is different to buying from a clay ground with an 11(6)

coleys is my nearest place and they have a sign saying that you must show your SGC for all cartridge purchases....

Did they present the SGC? When  you went shooting?

Maybe i frequent lawless shoots but i bought 1000 carts the other weekend no one asked to see my cert, bought 250 the month before again no one asked to see my cert (prem+ ground), before that bought 250 again no cert seen. 

NOte buying from a shop is different to buying from a clay ground with an 11(6)
I didn't know any shooters when I started shooting a few years ago! It was the club instructor who I had lessons with so I don't know!

I've always been asked at shops like you said but I must say that I don't think I have been asked at any grounds although I would have most probably been shooting at the grounds for a period of time and have always bought my shells from a shop and on the odd occasion bought a box from a ground if I run out

coleys is my nearest place and they have a sign saying that you must show your SGC for all cartridge purchases....
They also won't let none SGC holders shoot without an instructor despite having an 11(6) exemption. 

Company policy is one thing, happy to admit my mistake if anyone can reference the law that states an SGC must be possessed to purchase cartridges (in all circumstances)

Fact is a none SGC holder with written authority from an SGC holder can purchase cartridges from any RFD legally.

I didn't know any shooters when I started shooting a few years ago! It was the club instructor who I had lessons with so I don't know!

I've always been asked at shops like you said but I must say that I don't think I have been asked at any grounds although I would have most probably been shooting at the grounds for a period of time and have always bought my shells from a shop and on the odd occasion bought a box from a ground if I run out
how would the ground know that your cert hadn't been revoked or expired unless they checked each time???  

OK reference the law (not the guidance the law) that states this.
Firearms Amendment Act 1988:-  Apologies for the funny formatting which did not transpose well!

Section 5

Restriction on sale of ammunition for smooth-bore guns.

(1)This section applies to ammunition to which section 1 of the principal Act does not apply and which is capable of being used in a shot gun or in a smooth-bore gun to which that section applies.

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell any such ammunition to another person in the United Kingdom who is neither a registered firearms dealer nor a person who sells such ammunition by way of trade or business unless that other person—

(a)produces a certificate authorising him to possess a gun of a kind mentioned in subsection (1) above; or

(shows that he is by virtue of that Act or this Act entitled to have possession of such a gun without holding a certificate; or

©produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

(3)

An offence under this section shall be punishable on summary conviction with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both. on sale of ammunition for smooth-bore guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back