3/4 and full

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the days when there were only fixed choke guns and we carried up to 3 guns around on a sporting comp, a 26'' skeet for the driven and very close crossers, normal sporting gun which was 28'' then 30'' came along and these were usually 1/4 & 1/2 or 1/4 & 3/4 and finally a 30'' trap gun  for the long stuff.

As I progressed in my competition shooting it was my Beretta 680, 30'' 1/4 & 1/2 that I used 90% of the time but a good selection of cartridges to handle the various targets. Today I use my DT10 , 32'' usually 1/4 & light mod with Eley Superb shells 9 & 7.5 shot with 9 shot on as many targets as possible.

Those early days taught me the value of different cartridges with Eley Skeet Extra veg wad being spot on for close up work and perhaps if I still shot in comps, I would take the time to test more fibre wad shells for best results on close work. 

As a side note I do recall taking my old Miroku Mk38 trap to John Bidwells on holiday one year as I had sold my sporting gun and I recall very well that I had some brilliant results on the sporting using 3/4 & full. We are down there for a week at the end of April so I may just have a day just using heavy chokes to see how well or badly I do but for sure there will be a high percentage of 9 shot in the mix.

Phil

One should be sound in the knowledge that you will never need more than 3/4 & Full.

I have shot plenty of good long targets in recent months, but I can’t actually remember when I shot a really distant edge-on target, so I haven’t needed tight choke (given that I know I have a decent pattern cartridge). Even the almost daft distance target at Coleys last Wednesday broke well once I found it. 

Latest posts

Back