3/4 and full

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting I thought.  Mind you, you need to check how your gun patterns.  I now prefer to change shells (I shoot Sporting) instead of chokes because different shells give several chokes difference.

There is no right answer, but your conclusion does have a certain logic. Personally i see real value in having the same choke in each barrel just to leave my head alone.
I'm trying to not get sucked anymore into this whole vortex of choke head games so as Will says I leave mine well alone at 1/4 bottom, 1/2 top (cos that's what Browning supplied me with and I physically have to have SOMETHING in there!) and literally all I bother with it is if one bird is nearer than the other then I pick the 1/2 for the farthest. No mind games, no complicated decision, boom! If I hit it, I hit it, and I leave it at that cos I've not looked into it but I'm sure the difference in pattern between the two chokes isn't enough for me to be concerned about as long as they're no more than one size between top & bottom.

But what do I know?! 😄

I'm trying to not get sucked anymore into this whole vortex of choke head games so as Will says I leave mine well alone at 1/4 bottom, 1/2 top (cos that's what Browning supplied me with and I physically have to have SOMETHING in there!) and literally all I bother with it is if one bird is nearer than the other then I pick the 1/2 for the farthest. No mind games, no complicated decision, boom! If I hit it, I hit it, and I leave it at that cos I've not looked into it but I'm sure the difference in pattern between the two chokes isn't enough for me to be concerned about as long as they're no more than one size between top & bottom.

But what do I know?! 😄
You know that fu......Messing about too much misses clays!...Thats what you really know!

If it ain't broken.......don't fix it!

"If it ain't broken.......don't fix it!"

and that is where I am coming from, I just want to make sure I have a reasonable spread of shot for close to reasonably far!

Yesterday one of the targets was a rabbit quartering towards you and finished up under your feet, the stand was on scaffolding. When i shot with the 3/4 choke it certainly killed the rabbit but it also dug a hole about 5" wide and quite deep....😳

Hence the new thoughts about opening up the 3/4 barrel

But what about the bore size? Remember, choke constrictions are based on the bore. So a gun with a bore of 18.4 and a 1/4 choke will shoot a lot tighter than 18.7 with a 1/4 choke!

....Just to an another layer of confusion to your choices 😜

ive had 3/4 full   and everything in between  my scores have remained average   , I now shoot 1/4  1/2     I do wonder about the  aaa  and aa   top shots   do they honestly  shoot  3/4 full ?  if so how do they remain so consistent  ?   skillset ,  eyesight , reactions  , target reading  ?  or a combination of all  ?  or would they lie about their chokes ?    no why would they !!  
I had a former world class pigeon shooter as a mentor when I started that.  In casual conversations he always touted F/XF as the only thing to use on pigeons.  He actually shot IC and IMtoF sorta depending on the gun.  In the Mirage I used there was a #3 and fixed F.  Worked just fine

why would anyone think a aftermarket  choke is better than the manufactures original   ,    ?   :sarcastichand:
I've mentioned this to you very recently......  if the aftermarket chokes weren't better the sellers would be engaged in false advertising and we all know that is illegal!  Even tho the "proof" is apocryphal why would people not tell the truth?  Lying is a sin.  Your lack of faith in your fellow shooters is really disheartening.   :angel:

But what about the bore size? Remember, choke constrictions are based on the bore. So a gun with a bore of 18.4 and a 1/4 choke will shoot a lot tighter than 18.7 with a 1/4 choke!

....Just to an another layer of confusion to your choices 😜
A 1/4 choke is around 10 thou . It doesn't matter what your bore size is 1/4 choke will be 10 thou tighter than the bore.

A 1/4 choke is around 10 thou . It doesn't matter what your bore size is 1/4 choke will be 10 thou tighter than the bore.
So you agree with me? 

If you start with 18.4 and reduce it by 10 thou then it will be tighter than starting by 18.7 and reducing it by 10 thou.

Mmm...I would tend to agree and disagree with that, if that is possible

I would agree that a 1/4 choke is around 10 thou to the bore size, but bore size is definitely relevant.

I will give you this example. Beretta optima chokes, what size bore are the chokes made for? 18.6?

My 682 gold e is stamped up at 18.5, so a 1/4 optima choke manufactured for 18.6 barrels ain't a 1/4 choke in an 18.5 optima barrel gun. Bore size relevant.

Every gun should be made with 3/8 and 5/8 ...  then learn to use the barrel selector and the job sorted .  
What happens if you shoot at Horne? You get two stands of a following pair.. 🤓

Last edited by a moderator:
Stick in a Bior type shell.  When its that close, it opens up a couple of choke sizes instead of twiddling.  But don't think that you'll get a 2ft spread out of it! 

So you agree with me? 

If you start with 18.4 and reduce it by 10 thou then it will be tighter than starting by 18.7 and reducing it by 10 thou.
It doesn't work like that Doug. The actual size of the constriction at the muzzle is irrelevant. Chokes work solely by the amount of constriction from the bore diameter, consequently an over bore Browning with .740" (18.8mm) bores will, all other things being equal, throw the same size pattern as an older model with .729" (18.5mm) bores. Allegedly, overbored barrels throw better patterns and have less recoil but they don't throw bigger patterns.

More specifically, chokes are actually defined by the size of the pattern they throw, not by measuring diameters. The info is all available on the www - if you're having trouble getting to sleep.

"If it ain't broken.......don't fix it!"

and that is where I am coming from, I just want to make sure I have a reasonable spread of shot for close to reasonably far!

Yesterday one of the targets was a rabbit quartering towards you and finished up under your feet, the stand was on scaffolding. When i shot with the 3/4 choke it certainly killed the rabbit but it also dug a hole about 5" wide and quite deep....😳

Hence the new thoughts about opening up the 3/4 barrel
Just wondering why you didn't use the 1/4 choke for the incoming rabbit? not that it would make a huge difference at that range

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back