24gm - 20 Bore Fodder?.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelfire

As a follow on to Tinkering Bells 24gm post. If the CPSA were to push through a "new" 24 gm max load, would todays shooter be better off shooting a 20 bore, maybe a tighter pattern and a longer shot string.

Phil*

Ooh interesting idea, I have no experience of 20s so cant comment but interested in the topic

Bore diameter has nothing to do with patterning or shot string.  .410's will make "full" choke patterns.  Target shooters don't even use the lightest available 12ga guns so why would any one opt for a 20ga?  When the 24gm thing hit OT, Perazzi put together a dedicated 20ga target gun.  I have no idea if they ever sold one.

As a follow on to Tinkering Bells 24gm post. If the CPSA were to push through a "new" 24 gm max load, would todays shooter be better off shooting a 20 bore, maybe a tighter pattern and a longer shot string.

Phil*
Choke is a performance defined by percentages as we all know, and you can achieve whatever density you want from whatever gauge you want already. A longer shot string robs you of density so its merits are debatable.

Phil*
Wouldn't that create felt recoil problems for some, unless they were full sized 20 bores.

Bore diameter has nothing to do with patterning or shot string.  .410's will make "full" choke patterns.  Target shooters don't even use the lightest available 12ga guns so why would any one opt for a 20ga?  When the 24gm thing hit OT, Perazzi put together a dedicated 20ga target gun.  I have no idea if they ever sold one.
I know someone that has one! 

24g works brilliantly well through a std 20 bore barrel. But no better (probably very slightly worse) than through a 12 bore barrel. 24g even works well in a 28 bore.

If recoil is the driving force behind the possible new regs; then why not make everybody shoot with really heavy guns........  

I think this recoil thing and sports related injuries is a smoke screen.

What they really mean is 'Let's voluntarily reduce the amount of lead that we are discharging into the environment , and be seen to be making efforts to be responsible.' They could also climb onto Church roofs and remove lightening conductors and Lead flashing, drive down Rural roadways and remove the fly tipping and go into public parks and pick up dog poo but I guess they will not be doing that whilst  shooting is an easier target.

Amber whooped all but one of our GB team with a 20 bore and 21grm cartridges about 5 years ago....just saying :wink:

Clay breaks with whatever you use ....if.....you put it in the right place...true story :laugh:

Just pick a combo and go shooting.

What is this all about. When i was shooting American skeet, you could and still can as far as i know use 32g and a lot of the Americans still do. Why are we being told that we most probably will have to shoot 24g. I am 73 years old and still have some Gamebore Buffalo, yes they are 28g and i love them. Gamebore shouldn't have stopped making them, they were the best cartridge out. So if you are having recoil problems, go and get your gun fitted.

Regards

Hotshot rasher

I shoot with Beretta 20 and 28 gauge shotguns that cannot be compared to older small gauge shotguns in terms of weight, balance and point ability. The new small gauge shotguns can easily handle 24g loads with very little perceived recoil. They will also shoot 28g loads but I see little point in doing that. My guns have 30" barrels and to say that they point like a twig is complete and utter nonsense. If you place the barrels in the right place at the right time then the 24g load through a small gauge shotgun will break the target as effectively as it's bigger brother with a heavier load.

Latest posts

Back