21 / 22 December....shooting not shopping....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you win a class will ??????

Sian I watched you this afternoon as I scored the sportrap for you and I must say your first three stands were really good and you hit the really long midi hard several times , think you got tired and cold on last two stands and concentration disappeared , but I think if you push the gun and trust yourself you might be surprised what could happen

Steve
I did start to wander and the cold and rain are things I have not learnt to ignore yet - I near bloody froze by the end. Couldn't feel my fingers at all. I do need to trust myself and just go for it. I think I get so far think it's not going to happen and then stop. Was happy with my 11 though :)

I sat at Weston wood on Friday with a coffee and just thought since we have been running in the last 10 years I can think of nine grounds that don't do reg shoots anymore or have closed down

I sat at Weston wood on Friday with a coffee and just thought since we have been running in the last 10 years I can think of nine grounds that don't do reg shoots anymore or have closed down
Hi Steve

Out of the nine grounds in your thoughts on Friday, how many grounds shut because of noise complaints? how many shut as poorly ran shoots as shooters avoided, and how many shut due to sale of land? or how many grounds just didn't make the cpsa grade?

Lee

Hi Steve

Out of the nine grounds in your thoughts on Friday, how many grounds shut because of noise complaints? how many shut as poorly ran shoots as shooters avoided, and how many shut due to sale of land? or how many grounds just didn't make the cpsa grade?

Lee
Lee, I'm not sure that there is a common theme. I can think of about 7 different grounds that have stopped doing reg shoots/ closed in the last 5 years and there is a completely separate reason for each one. None were noise complaints actually. One couldn't make it pay, which I believe they could have if they had changed things. Others were planning issues or retirement reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
As will says there are several reasons in the list I have but a good few can make more money on open practice so just don't want the hassle of reg shoots !!

I for one will keep investing in the future of competitions of all kinds , trying to put something together at moment that's never been dreamt about in the uk before , can't say too much at this point

Well done will good score that , was it open as a practice day as well today or just Cpsa members there

Never had chance to get to valley view yet but is on my list

I think any new registered ground should be encouraged,,Valley View will take a while to get things right as do all grounds, it is easy to knock it, but lets not forget Caterham has gone and a number of grounds are under threat or could close at any time i.e. Southern Counties, we lost Newham Pa.rk and Cadley not so long ago. If you give the guys at V V some constructive feedback I am sure they will take it on board eventually. Give the ground a chance
Well when they have it right,or can put on a full course of birds,perhaps I'd go back. Pay your money take your choice. I'm not going to shoot a round of s h i t just to support a new ground. I get to shoot once a week,I want to enjoy it.

Well done will good score that , was it open as a practice day as well today or just Cpsa members there

Never had chance to get to valley view yet but is on my list
I went late so only saw comp shooters but they still have their 'regulars' going round. I think they will 'get it' as time goes on. Brilliant bit of land..

Do you think they use following pairs as they are short of traps or they like the idea

I remember when we started we bought 20 traps , ten stands , no pool shoot , no breakdown backup , hell it makes me cringe now when I think back but for 6 years we put everything back into the grounds and purchasing kit and will continue to do so , can't do it properly by taking everything out and running as a second rate outfit , well I can't anyway !!'

Well shot Will, 94 is an awesome score!

Dragged myself up to Grange Farm this morning. Very busy when I arrived so took over 3 hours to shoot. Found the targets tough, especially the simo pairs which I always have problems with. They had 6 stands of simo pairs!! surely there is a limit on how many simo pairs are allowed on a sporting shoot!! L.O.L finished on 63/100 - should've gone shopping  :yes:

Do you think they use following pairs as they are short of traps or they like the idea

I remember when we started we bought 20 traps , ten stands , no pool shoot , no breakdown backup , hell it makes me cringe now when I think back but for 6 years we put everything back into the grounds and purchasing kit and will continue to do so , can't do it properly by taking everything out and running as a second rate outfit , well I can't anyway !!'
They are emerging from being a good 'old school' shoot. Much has improved since Ian Paynes day, but more to come. They seem to care though. Hope it improves further.

If a new ground was to open in Calne / Marlborough area, would there be the support
Of the shooters ?
of course would be run opposite end of month of gun site as Shaun doing a fantastic job 2nd week end of month,
Just interested on views ?? :)
There is a reason to all response ...

If a new ground was to open in Calne / Marlborough area, would there be the support

Of the shooters ?

of course would be run opposite end of month of gun site as Shaun doing a fantastic job 2nd week end of month,

I think if you build it, they will come. Especially in the S west! As you say, I makes sense not to clash with other good shoots though.. Marlborough area must have a good catchment for travelling from Oxford and Berkshire also.

Of the shooters ?

I think if you build it, they will come. Especially in the S west! As you say, I makes sense not to clash with other good shoots though.. Marlborough area must have a good catchment for travelling from Oxford and Berkshire also.
Thank you for your view Will,
There's always in every month around the 3rd week lack of CPSA reg shoots, local it seems some weeks 3 or 4 at once then always that gap of no one on, unless practice, so I've a place and hopefully can fill this every month gap.... it wouldn't start until July but very much on the forecast ....

Moore K-80 said:
We desperately need a new ground here in Devon! We have one not far away in Cornwall but the tight arsed Cornish ALL go birds only so there is nothing to shoot for. Newnham was a massive loss for us down here as it was not too far to go and always put on a very good shoot, it had a very good following and i am sure a ground ran properly here would do well.
Couldn't agree more Ian!  :biggrin:

Calne/Marlborough is more like South Central rather that Westcountry to us this way. Still a great trek to get to and plenty of other shoots in the vicinity (you lucky B*****ds!)

Devon/Cornwall is relatively like a desert for shooting grounds of a good standard. Plenty of straw balers in the summer, just nothing worth shooting NOW! (Which is probably why you and I don't get out like we used to!)

Well when they have it right,or can put on a full course of birds,perhaps I'd go back. Pay your money take your choice. I'm not going to shoot a round of s h i t just to support a new ground. I get to shoot once a week,I want to enjoy it.
I dont think that one could reasonably call the two courses put on so far as "sh*t" as you put it, Some things need to improve certainly. The point I was making is that if any of us have issues then feeding them back to Adam and his team at Valley View would be far more constructive and positive, than just dismissing their efforts because they dont meet the standards of well established ground owners such as Steve Lovatt.  Who himself readily admits he made mistakes when he first started.

Having 3 stands of trailing pairs is sh*t. It ruins the whole course for me. Plus a lot of the stands were very samey. They're newly registered,but not a new ground...how long does it take? The ground has great potential but they need to make an effort. You can't have big groups,scoring their own cards,out on jollies,mixed with serious reg shooters...well,you can,but don't expect it to be successful. AND charge MORE than far superior grounds with far superior targets and no big crowds bumbling around sharing a side by side. Everyone has a choice to spend their money where they like. Until things change,I choose not to spend mine there :) I really hope they do improve,like I said,it has great potential.

I believe by a good margin. It wasn't THAT easy.. I think the top scores were

Chris Childerhouse (AA) 95

Moi (A) 94

Keith Tarren and Phil Easemen (both AA) 91

Everybody else: Fewer.
thats even better then Will!! " 1 behind Chris childerhouse" that's good shooting mate

Latest posts

Back