2015 progress.. Or not..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've improved for sure. After a lot of years just turning up and enjoying pointing the gun in the general direction I went out and bought a SP1 Sporter, had it fitted and started to apply some technique. Having watched lots of YouTube videos and a few DVD's I've found that Ben Husthwaite's approach seems to be working for me. I just need to make sure I apply it for every pair of clay's I call for. I record all my shoots, as you can see I probably don't shoot a lot of clay's compared to some.

I still have some bogey targets. I struggle with medium to fast driven targets and targets that are distant, needing lead beyond that which my brain believes.

Clay Shooting Record.JPG

A most interesting thread, thank you OP.

This was the year I set myself some targets and decided to improve my general shooting performance. So in January I bought myself a new gun and spent a little while setting it up so that LoP and Comb Height were roughly right. Not surprisingly my scores began to creep up. These were not registered competition scores, but the informal "walking around the layout with chums" type of thing. I wondered about doing a  FITASC, but was a bit daunted by making a fool of myself (not by a low score - more by failing to get my head round the rules and format) and generally getting in everyone's way.

I was having difficulty actually seeing some of the targets, so decided to do something about that before anything else. Naturally this web site was my first port of call, naively asking about coloured filters that I thought may help, and it wasn't long before Mr Lyons made a few suggestions that I followed, l ended up with contact lenses, which are a revelation in more than one sense. The first time I wore them to shoot clays I was expecting it all to be a bit strange and my score to suffer, but it wasn't like that at all. Day 1 of contact lenses resulted in a new personal best at Pilford, which rather surprised me. Well done Mr Lyons and well done Mr Underwood (my local optician)

Improvement was also apparent in my Tuesday morning ambling, so I decide that I would:

Join the CPSA

Start doing registered ESP at my local ground

Achieve a registered ESP score of 75 or better this year

Achieve an AA classification at Pilford (they do their own system there, which is simple to understand)

So I joined the CPSA.  I then entered a registered ESP, and suffered an astonishing and lengthy bout of stage fright. I really was nervous (visualise 64 year old twit actually fumbling cartridges out of the stand - etc etc) and I discovered that a 100 bird shoot can really clobber me. I went home exhausted with a 55 as my first ever score. I wasn't surprised, nor was I ecstatic. But I had really enjoyed the whole experience, and I learned from it. My score was a long way from my target, but this was April. Another 20 seemed a lot. 

The following month I was back again, raring to go. No nerves this time, and none of that new-boy hesitancy. The birds presented didn't seem as daunting, and it was during this competition that I realised that adding up your misses as you go is beyond my meagre mental capacity, that after about fifty birds I'm getting tired and a bit "low blood sugar", and that if you've only taken 100 cartridges with you it's not enough. I was genuinely astonished to be informed I had scored 76. But I was conscious that in the latter stages I was shooting quite well.

A Pilford shoot saw me close to an AA classification.

The June shoot taught me a lesson I really shouldn't have needed - don't expect to shoot well if you're not 100%. I wasn't, didn't feel good, and ended up with a 63.

July's layout was kind to me. This was after a good holiday, maybe that helped. I had an 81 which greatly pleased me.

In August I dropped out, feeling rough again. My immune system does seem to be only partially functional!

By the end of September I had managed an AA classification at Pilford, dropped it once, and was back. September's ESP brought me a score of 71. I was still pleased with it.

That's my journey this year, in a potted form, and here are some things I have learned:

1) Eyesight is fundamental. Ordinary opticians don't really know enough about this sport to help properly

2) Gun fit is important. Expert advice is worth having, that of a mate may not be.

3)The stuff that goes on between the ears has a huge effect. Shooting if you're irritated by the plonker who carved you up on the way is less likely to produce a good score. Shooting if you're sweating on blood tests or suchlike is much the same. (A case in point is yesterday's practice and informal "match", where after a coule of dozen shots we started again. There were so many "no birds", empty traps, stands closed and the like that we were well fed up. We all shot dreadfully badly after that.)

4) Flu, snivelling dripping sneezing colds, any malady that means you're nervous about the distance to the "facilities" are all enemies of performance.

5) Practice is, of course, vital. I shoot fifty clays a week with the gang, plus 100 each month doing the ESP, plus 40 a month at Pilford. Maybe a few more on odd days. It's not nearly enough. And it's worth reflecting on the type of practice, too. My mates are not keen on going to some stands at our local ground, the targets are difficult and it's a long slog. Maybe they would be less difficult if we went there more often?

6) As far as I can tell different brands and types of cartridge seem to make no difference. 

7) Every bird I have missed is purely down to me. It is not the fault of the gun, the cartridge, or the choke. The only exception to that is last week - I'm pretty sure that I missed at least a couple at the start because my dear wife furnished me with a small water bottle to put in my pocket. Before we started another competitor noticed that I may have spilled something. I checked in my pocket - "splat" - a whole half pint of water was sloshing around in there together with an empty bottle. My vest is not one that is equipped with drain holes, but enough had seeped out and down into the groin of my trousers to make it look like I hadn't been paying sufficient attention in the "facilities".

8) I am now an addict. I can't wait for the next competition. I really do enjoy watching people who are genuinely on top of their game. 

Superb Charles, just the sort of response I had hoped for. Doing registered shoots brings a whole new element; not just better targets, but it gives you a reason to focus and sort things out.

Thank you Will.

And you mentioned the "F" word that I failed to include, "Focus"

After a lifetime of  shooting at targets other than clay ones, it's come as a bit of a shock  having to concentrate, having to focus, having to actually try hard. In a pigeon hide that focus seems to be there without having to summon it up. I wonder if this is a phenomenon related to hunting instincts? I am constantly aware of shots I have missed where that vital effort has been missing. Other thoughts crowd in unbidden - how many did I miss on the last stand? - is my jacket buttoned up? - will my cap get in the way? - Is that new barmaid at the local Polish or Romanian? Once that jumbled mental mess is in there it's a bugger to shift.

The other sort of focus is back to the vision business. I am right handed, I shoot from the right shoulder, and my right eye is dominant. Clearly dominant ,that is, until a target isn't clearly defined. A background of conifers with a black clay whizzing across it isn't easy to spot at all, but the worst of it is that my right eye struggles to retain dominance in those cases. Concentration and focus is needed in spades for those shots; I'm attempting to do without artificial aids like Star Wars sights or blobs on my shooting glasses. It's getting there with a self invoked technique but it does require concentration. A work in progress.

Another thing I didn't mention was tuition. I consciously decided against having any tuition or coaching. I do genuinely appreciate the value of proper training in all fields, I have long been an advocate of professional coaches. It's all about doing this single handed. Maybe it's pride, or stubbornness, I don't know. Maybe it's just plain daft. But for the moment I would like to do it alone.

Since I first posted I have popped into Poole and purchased a giant Cornish Pasty, and eaten it. This has got some nutrition into my bloodstream, and my brain is working a little better. It has also made the dog start sulking because he wasn't included. And I have remembered that I didn't really mentioned my thoughts about buying a more suitable gun. Many know that I shoot a cheap Beretta Outlander. That's right - a semi auto. Last Wednesday the referee/scorer/button man asked if I would be shooting with a "proper gun" or my auto. 

I like my gun, I enjoy shooting with it. I don't see the need to change it.

Leaving aside for the moment all those arguments about spraying empties everywhere, and those about perceived safety issues, in what ways do the panel think I might benefit from using an Over & Under?

I have some personal goals:

I only shoot ESP, and I want to become a consistent 70% plus shooter before aiming higher.

I will get registered and go shoot some bigger shoots to get more target variety in the memory bank.

However, I am really screwed by time at the moment.  Long days commuting to London for work, and a young family at home doesn't give me loads of time to swan off shooting for a whole day at a time.  There isn't much in the way of registered shoots within 1.5 hours of where we live.  I've just started to get over some demons in my shooting which ruined my scores for a year.  I have a new gun that I love and I want to kick on with.

I do however, have access to a dry fire system at a friends shop. I know they're not ideal but may give me some practise opportunity on these darker evenings. 

I also have some goals for my straw-baler that I run on my parents farm, and that is to continue to grow and improve the shoot.  Keep purchasing new equipment when possible and move to an open self buttoning shoot rather than a squadded shoot.  I'll extend the opening hours by a couple of hours and hopefully then we'll start getting enough people through the door to make buying traps a bit easier.

We'll hopefully continue in the Kent and Sussex clubman league, and hold an open shoot for prize money each year.  We have the best space and natural topography (is that the right word?) for a really fun shoot. I could just do with a few more punters :)

Thank you Will.

And you mentioned the "F" word that I failed to include, "Focus"

After a lifetime of  shooting at targets other than clay ones, it's come as a bit of a shock  having to concentrate, having to focus, having to actually try hard. In a pigeon hide that focus seems to be there without having to summon it up. I wonder if this is a phenomenon related to hunting instincts? I am constantly aware of shots I have missed where that vital effort has been missing. Other thoughts crowd in unbidden - how many did I miss on the last stand? - is my jacket buttoned up? - will my cap get in the way? - Is that new barmaid at the local Polish or Romanian? Once that jumbled mental mess is in there it's a bugger to shift.

The other sort of focus is back to the vision business. I am right handed, I shoot from the right shoulder, and my right eye is dominant. Clearly dominant ,that is, until a target isn't clearly defined. A background of conifers with a black clay whizzing across it isn't easy to spot at all, but the worst of it is that my right eye struggles to retain dominance in those cases. Concentration and focus is needed in spades for those shots; I'm attempting to do without artificial aids like Star Wars sights or blobs on my shooting glasses. It's getting there with a self invoked technique but it does require concentration. A work in progress.

Another thing I didn't mention was tuition. I consciously decided against having any tuition or coaching. I do genuinely appreciate the value of proper training in all fields, I have long been an advocate of professional coaches. It's all about doing this single handed. Maybe it's pride, or stubbornness, I don't know. Maybe it's just plain daft. But for the moment I would like to do it alone.

Since I first posted I have popped into Poole and purchased a giant Cornish Pasty, and eaten it. This has got some nutrition into my bloodstream, and my brain is working a little better. It has also made the dog start sulking because he wasn't included. And I have remembered that I didn't really mentioned my thoughts about buying a more suitable gun. Many know that I shoot a cheap Beretta Outlander. That's right - a semi auto. Last Wednesday the referee/scorer/button man asked if I would be shooting with a "proper gun" or my auto. 

I like my gun, I enjoy shooting with it. I don't see the need to change it.

Leaving aside for the moment all those arguments about spraying empties everywhere, and those about perceived safety issues, in what ways do the panel think I might benefit from using an Over & Under?
The right focus is tough and you have to induce it to yourself. It's easy to be be over focussed, so that you are stiff and unwieldy. Trying too hard. Equally, a wandering mind is hopeless. You are totally in control of this, as you decide when to call Pull. When a pigeon suddenly flys in, it will make you react and focus. (I used to race cars and focus was never an issue. The corner is screaming up at you and you had better be ready). Clay shooting is mind management for sure.

As for your gun, if it's fits and you are familiar with it, then there is little else to ask of it. Press on!

Something I forgot to mention previously was that this year I have also worked on my physical fitness, I explained to my trainer (Chris Rowlands) that I wanted to improve my fitness for shooting and he has devised a program to concentrate on core, upper body and stamina. I think this has also made a real difference shooting 100 skeet targets in less than an hour doesn't sound particularly taxing but I don't feel nearly as tired at the end as I used too.

Something I forgot to mention was that one of my targets was to achieve a 25 straight in all of the fast trap disciplines. Managed a few at UT and two at ABT but that 25 OT still eludes me, although to be fair I have shot very little OT this year which I intend to put right next year.

DT

I've improved for sure. After a lot of years just turning up and enjoying pointing the gun in the general direction I went out and bought a SP1 Sporter, had it fitted and started to apply some technique. Having watched lots of YouTube videos and a few DVD's I've found that Ben Husthwaite's approach seems to be working for me. I just need to make sure I apply it for every pair of clay's I call for. I record all my shoots, as you can see I probably don't shoot a lot of clay's compared to some.

I still have some bogey targets. I struggle with medium to fast driven targets and targets that are distant, needing lead beyond that which my brain believes.

View attachment 5191
How did you attach your record?   mine wont work .

:santa:

I opened it as usual in my browser and then used Windows Snipping tool to screen grab and save it to my desktop. 

I then just used the click to choose file at the bottom of the reply editor.

Hope that makes sense....

2015 has been so far a fairly good year in registered shoots.

The reason i took up clay shooting in 2013 was to be my best and will always try my best and put the work in.

I started registered shoots in julyish time 2013 and got mid 50's early 60's. Shot the British open last year and shot a 62 which was over 50% and i was happy as that was my goal.

2015 i decided to pull my finger out and get better which seem to work had a gun fit found a few things out and then started to get a few more clays on each shoot. Then one shoot shot with phil gray and something just clicked. He gave me a few pointers and had a couple of lessons from him. My scores are in the mid to late 70's and i shot the british open this year score 80 odd on the wednesday and mate the sunday cut and finished 9th on the day. My aim was to get top 20 this year and have done that. Should all being well make the jump from c class to b class. This will make me put more effort in and get more focused as i need to be getting in the 80's to get placed in registered shoots.  

My biggest downfall is nerves and non self belief most days, but normally if i have a good start to a shoot, i start to calm down and get focused.

Well, I have had a good 2015. I started shooting in Dec 2013 and I have seen my biggest improvement this year.

I shot a new PB of 91 ex 100

I qualified for the Staffs County Sporting team

I made A class and I have increased my average by 10% since the cut off.

I did have some disappointing results on the bigger events but I put this down to putting pressure on myself to well.

The coaching from Julian Morris has been the key, the fact I haven't been able to get to see him in the last few months could also mean some bad habits have crept back in and caused a bit of a slump.

Planning a strategy for next year with a focus on quality rather than quantity.

Had a good year so far. Been shooting just over 2 years and have stuck with skeet so far. Been shooting reg nssa skeet for a year and hit my first reg 100 straight a couple of months ago. Joined the cpsa 2 months ago and got called to shoot for the Warwickshire skeet team at last weekends inter counties at Northampton shooting ground. Hit 98/100 and finished joint 2nd overall the highest score being a 99. So happy with my progress so far being self taught.

Have been meaning to write this for a while.

Had a bit of an inconsistent and frustrating season. Have shot very little for one reason or another which has meant a few extended breaks from getting the gun out.

Picked up the new gun at the end of last year so started this year shooting regularly to get used to it. Bit of a bumpy ride,but thought I made some progress and then at other times it was like picking the gun up for the first time and having to re learn sight pictures. It appears during times of heavy work etc that my left eye takes over, anyone who has had this knows how weird things can look when your shooting! 

There have been a few highlights  - Two PBs in Sporting, one of which was admittedly a soft shoot but I was very happy with the way the Driven targets that day were broken.- New PB in Fitasc - very pleased with that as that discipline is top of my list !  not to mention a great weekend in France!

So form a bit all over the place and very unpredictable. This wont stop me from coming back next season with a spring in my step and ready to push on.

shot only comps that mattered and averages increased I believe as a result. Shot consistently and quite well ...... But won begger all.

roll on 2016 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
shot only comps that mattered and averages increased I believe as a result. Shot consistently and quite well ...... But won begger all.

roll on 2016 season.
Blimey, you have had a quiet year as far as comps go!!

DT

indeed, a conscious decision made in Oct 14. Still doing a lot of ot training as you know but long journeys for a one day meaningless reg comp with three squads I now consider pointless.

edit

pointless for me as I do not require experience in a competition environment, not pointless for others starting off.

Last edited by a moderator:
My progress in 2015 was to sell the 692 I mistakenly purchased and go back to my 682 which I thankfully kept. I think Beretta should rename them ,the 672 because they take 10 off your scores.

My progress has been up and down, with  me still being in C class again this year.

Its down to me, and me alone.

My goals for 2016 are to have a proper gunfitting session, and some dedicated coaching

Whether the bank balance will comply is a diferent matter

:santa:

Back