2015 progress.. Or not..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2015 has been a fantastic year for me personally 

making the Eng teams in both sporting and fitasc which has

allways been my shooting Ambition 

Also winning a gold medal at the uk fitasc GB selection shoot 

finally having put together a ten shoot run of 90 + in sporting 

and Fitasc 

20 months of registered or open shoots of 100 birds ( or more )

Was getting good 10 months ago. Not so much any more. I'm almost as good now as I was when I took up shooting 21 months ago!

The yellow trend line says I'm getting better but I'm not convinced. The moving average shows a different story.

Still I've gone from C class at my local club to A class ( and have a little shelf full of club medals for my troubles ) I've won a few cash prizes in C class and for my 3rd CPSA classification period I'll move from C to B ( just )

2015-09-30_22h11_31.jpg

I will ignore any questions about that 48 a couple of weeks ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Garlands really tough?  Off on a shooting road trip soon and will be based around the Market Harborough area, so Garlands could be a potential on the list.
Harborough is ten mins from my House. 

No Garlands isn't any more tough than any other ground 

You will ten minutes from Kibworth and twenty five minutes from Sywell. 

20 months of registered or open shoots of 100 birds ( or more )

Was getting good 10 months ago. Not so much any more. I'm almost as good now as I was when I took up shooting 21 months ago!

The yellow trend line says I'm getting better but I'm not convinced. The moving average shows a different story.

Still I've gone from C class at my local club to A class ( and have a little shelf full of club medals for my troubles ) I've won a few cash prizes in C class and for my 3rd CPSA classification period I'll move from C to B ( just )

View attachment 5185

I will ignore any questions about that 48 a couple of weeks ago!
I want a chart now.....

DT highlighted the noticable slump in 200 bird competitions . Could this be fatigue , lack of focus , loss of concentration? Perhaps if he used the psychological approach of 2 x 100 birders he could see an improvement???
Peter. Interesting points. Not exactly a 'slump' in scores for 200 target comps, I just tend to shoot to my classification period average, rather than achieve the upper range of my scores. I always go into any shoot with the belief that I can/will do well (which doesn't always happen) but maybe I am setting myself to high an expectation in selection shoots. Not that I expect to be vying for a GB team place in seniors you understand but it would be rewarding to say, shoot a 180+ with a couple of 25 ex 25 in there. Maybe I need to break that down to shooting 2 x 90+ with one straight in each?

Fatigue is also a major issue for me. I do suffer with lower back pain towards the end of a days trap shooting (lots of standing around with very little walking), which is then carried forward into the second day. I have tried to spend more time sitting between rounds to take the weight of my back but find this difficult to do as there is always something going on, someone to talk to, Harry to watch, etc, etc.

Lack of focus/lapse in concentration? Quite possibly as I am constantly thinking about how Harry is getting on and picking up the pieces when he has had a bad round. All very distracting, particularly if we are shooting on the same squad.

Scoreboard watching is also another fault of mine. Knowing I need to shoot a 23 in the last round to achieve a 90 for the day usually results in a 19 ! as it did on Sunday. I know people will tell you just to shoot as many targets as you can and someone will tell you if you have won something at the end but I find this very difficult to do and after a couple of rounds I am checking how I am doing in class, category, etc.

Lots of faults I know but hey, I can't wait to get out there again so I must be enjoying it :)

I guess my main goal should be to try and increase my fitness levels over the winter.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity as a newbie clay shooter do your scores dip in winter months?I am thinking more clothes on and cold hands along with a low sun.

Atb

pmg63

I keep a note of all my scores and 2014- 2015 was on the whole not bad. Got four straights at UT and lots of nearlys but hit a slump the last few weeks... yesterday was like a new shooter day! Trap shooting is a mind game and if you can get your head under control I think you can be good at it.

Out of curiosity as a newbie clay shooter do your scores dip in winter months?I am thinking more clothes on and cold hands along with a low sun.

Atb

pmg63
and the wind and the vertical rain, not seeing out of your glasses, snow, sometimes trying to stand up straight when the wind wants to push you over.  (Will is shaking his head at the idiocy of some so us)  I think it can and does.  You can get some good thinner warm clothes but I have not mastered the art of shooting bundled up and if I have a coat on will take it off to shoot anyway whatever the weather.

I have a fantastic coat from Sasta that I won years ago. Really warm and yet thin, so great for shooting in. It's also a good plan to have a huge thick puffy coat to wear between stands, removed for the few minutes actually shooting. But yes, winter can rob a few clays from you..

The Rotherfield Richter Scale after Ian told Beverley just how much he had spent on claying in the last 20 months!

PS were you high gun at the 50 birder?
TOLD HER!!! Are you nuts? There are some things that are simply not discussed in a long standing relationship! 

:)

Tied for second ( It was a 60 if we are talking about the one I think! ) Later in the day a bunch of carpetbaggers came along, some guy called Straker iirc!  :(

Have I progressed in 2015...yes, I suppose I have, it just doesn't feel like it at times!!! I've shot new PB's at both sporting and FITASC, won A class at a Scottish sporting selection shoot coming 3rd overall at that shoot...but I haven't been happy with the way I've shot most shoots this year!!! I seem to manage to have two or more very poor stands at every sporting shoot, for no apparent reason, even the A class that I won included two disaster stands!?!? Same with FITASC, three very good Pacours that I'm happy with, thinking I should/could of shot 1-2 more...and for no real reason, an absolute shocker of a layout, often the first or last one I shoot...like 14 21 22 20, the 14 wasn't a hard layout, just my timing/mount/decision making was all wrong. 

I've shot 5 'big' shoots down south this year, the English at High lodge...good shoot that I kept dropping 1-2 on almost every stand, following pair of tower birds caught me out, missed the first pair in the same place, gave the next pair more, but couldn't stop myself missing both of them in the same place, gave the next one not enough more, the next I shot very late and off line...last pair, drove through the first more out in front and it was gone, then repeat, 2-8, those 6 away killed my score, not even a 8-8 on stand 15 could make me feel better!!! 

Troy foods FITASC, shot it in the wind and pissing rain, that was the day my inability to shoot teal and going away all season kicked in!!! Reasonable score considering.

The Classic, started great on the blue course, was flying until my last 5 stands where I dropped 13!!! Leaked too many I shouldn't have on the red ...ok score, nothing brilliant.

The Beretta world at Hodnet, fabulous shoot, loved it, stot ok again, messed up a couple of stands and missed the last bird on 6 stands for 7's!?!? Beautiful ground, great targets, great atmosphere, met loads of friends old and new...just underperformed, again

The British at Garlands, it was like the 'one away shoot' apart from a mini meltdown for no reason round the pond!!! Enjoyed it, reasonable score, still under achieved!!!

So, yes I feel that I have progressed...just never really got it together over a whole shoot, next year... :D

Troy foods FITASC, shot it in the wind and pissing rain, that was the day my inability to shoot teal and going away all season kicked in!!! Reasonable score considering.
On the positive side James, Teal and going aways are about the easiest to get your head round once someone explains the tempo needed. I think so anyway as very often it's very easy to see why people are miss-timing things and time and again they smash them up as soon as a couple of things are put right. 

Yes I feel I have had a very good season. 

I have made the progress I wanted and planned for.

I haven't won anything like the same as last year but A is a very different place to be than B. 

Thats an aside I have secured excellent backing from very supportive sponsors

With Ed Solomons for technical and Henry Hopking for mental coaching I have the backing to keep moving forward.

My Employer AJC Retail solutions pay for 15000 shells each year, Just Choking for Muller chokes  and Ed Lyons gives me support and advise on eyewear.

I have shot PBs in Sporting and Fitasc performing very well at the European championships in Hungary. 

I now look at a sporting score of 85 and am not happy where as last year would have been over the moon. 

My shooting is very solid now and consistent. 

I am looking forward to next season with The World Sporting World & European Fitasc and World Compak all booked already.

On the positive side James, Teal and going aways are about the easiest to get your head round once someone explains the tempo needed. I think so anyway as very often it's very easy to see why people are miss-timing things and time and again they smash them up as soon as a couple of things are put right. 
I finally figured out after the season ended that my hold point was too low/close to the trap, then I was powering too far 'through' them...no idea why I started doing this or why I couldn't see that I was doing this!?!?

I finally figured out after the season ended that my hold point was too low/close to the trap, then I was powering too far 'through' them...no idea why I started doing this or why I couldn't see that I was doing this!?!?
I crippled my scores for two years doing this. As Hamid says, nice and calm, higher hold point, I can barely remember missing one now (unless it's 70 yards away or something daft). 

Nice thread Will - and you seem to be shooting very well at the moment!

For me this year was like many others here - wanting a different challenge to club/social shooting with the aim of improving my shooting. I lose track of the number of times I hear comments by shooters who only shoot at 1 or 2 grounds saying the layout is tough. How do you know if you have never tried a comp?

My goal was to properly dip my toes into the world of registered ESP events which to the un initiated sounds quite daunting at first. Will I mess something up, do I understand the rules. Luckily the ESP world is very welcoming to new shots with shooters and refs alike willing to give you pointers if you are really struggling. I do really like the fact you can visit so many grounds and pay £35 for birds only and all you have to do is shoot the clays. I personally think that is excellent value for money.

The sole event I did in 2014 at BSG meant I ended up in B Class. So I naturally thought A class is a good goal but its massive jump. My first comp this year was the Premier League at EJC and I started out so badly I was thinking I had made a big mistake. A bit of it was definitely nerves. 2nd half of the layout I straighted 3 stands and ended up on a 66 which I was very happy with considering the bad start.

Since then I have been up and down with some scores in the low 80's and some in the low 60's and high 50's. Owls Lodge is still my nemesis with a PB of 65. I think I am so used to shooting in Woodland that the lack of treeline makes me under read the speed of the targets against a blank skyline and I end up under leading.

Had a few lessons as wanted to make the transition to shooting gun down but its also opened up my eyes that my transition to the 2nd bird in a pair is based on instinct rather than deciding on a hold point. I definitely need spend more time watching the targets before I get in the stand.

I think the biggest thing I have learnt is not to worry about my average & class. Take each event on its own. What I do love about this sport is that no matter how bad I shoot on one stand there is always the opportunity to straight the next one and put a smile on your face. Likewise you can shoot your best score ever and still come away knowing that you let some easy kills slip away.

After getting my certificate in June/July this year I haven't had the chance to shoot many registered, only the one in fact! I managed to be 3rd bottom at SouthDowns that day which wasn't a very good result!

I had a lesson with the master Keith Coyle on Friday, so the aim is to practice as much as I can for the rest of this year, then look at progressing next year.

If I can practice enough to be able to shoot gun-down next year, and average 50-60% at registered shoots I will be happy! 

A completly realistic goal, just had to practice my gun mount, do my eye-dominance exercises and I'll be able to hit my target!

For me this year success is simply getting out with the gun. I was determined to go to National Ladies Shooting Day and apart from that it's been one very cold round of skeet, two charity shoots, two S&CBCs and one abortive practice where I found that a hungry baby will set off the DTL traps. But I do have plans for two practices, one social and one S&CBC this month. My birthday treat is that DH will come to Lakenheath with me and we'll go to the brilliant pub for lunch.

I have definitely improved this year since getting my new glasses from Mr Lyons. I set a goal of shooting more than 90 in a major and did 92 at English Open Skeet Doveridge and 93 in the British Open Bisley (where I also did a 25 which was another goal I had set). I think both these results gave me the confidence to relax more and focus on the clays instead of the scores. Last week I did a new PB for registered of 98. If I don't mess up between now and the end of the month I will also go up to A which is a goal I hadn't set but am more than happy to achieve!!

Back