Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, don't be put off and use the advice above as it was intended- to improve the package as a whole. No one nails it first time out.

Yes it doesn't work out for everyone, that is the nature of life. One way of guaranteeing you won't succeed is to stop trying; don't.

One of the things I would add that hasn't been mentioned too much is sponsorship- depending on what your expectations are, it probably won't reach your expectations for a while. Very few shooters in the country get free shells, even fewer get free shells plus added incentives like wages travelling costs etc etc, that can of course be achieved but will take a lot of time proving yourself not just a shooter but as an ambassador to whomever you choose to join forces with. Be prepared to start at the bottom of the pile and prove to them over a few years why they should carry on sponsoring you and/or improve your contract.

Because of this, chose brands you have 100% faith in both as a product and also how they will deal with any business you bring them. If you are seen to jump between brands, no one will want to risk you on the books for fear of it being a short term relationship. I would class short term as 5 years and below, so you can work out long term...

100% agree less is more with websites and social media, put enough up to get relevant info across without being a pain in the arse.

It can be done, I am fortunate enough to have made shooting into a full time profession (coaching) however to get to the stage of doing it full time I had to do it at weekends and evenings for the best part of 15 years, during which I built all of it up gradually including all my sponsorship packages and reputation etc etc.

Be in it for the long haul, listen to advice and give it a go, worst way is it doesn't work out and you'll have had a good crack trying.

Ed

ed

that's more like it, constructive advice ?

I feel sorry for the young man, I think he has received some pretty harsh comments.

I actually feel genuinely ashamed at the way that this forum and its members have behaved during this thread we should have all done what Les did and that was to offer unconditional encouragement.
I can't agree with this. Tom has sought feedback and it's been given, politely and constructively. I, and others, have pointed out the realities of the sport and given useful advice that will help in the future. 

He can take or leave it as he pleases.

he is a young man, you cannot be as harsh as you would be with an adult. imo

I can't agree with this. Tom has sought feedback and it's been given, politely and constructively. I, and others, have pointed out the realities of the sport and given useful advice that will help in the future. 

He can take or leave it as he pleases.
he didn't ask for feedback, were still not sure about the point of his post but he is young so we give some slack.

it was not given politely or constructively.

your trying to cover your back because you haven't got the balls to admit you were to harsh.

he didn't ask for feedback, were still not sure about the point of his post but he is young so we give some slack.

it was not given politely or constructively.

your trying to cover your back because you haven't got the balls to admit you were to harsh.
Whoa...ips, he did ask for feedback!!! Jan made a good post, wished him luck,  I wouldn't consider it harsh!!! 

I think you need to look in the mirror to find one half of the comedy double act to did nothing but rip the piss out of Tom...

ips, I also note you have deleted one of your posts on this thread...say what you mean, mean what you say and have the balls to stand by what you have said!!! You appear to be attacking Jan as a diversion from your own behaviour, deleting posts only goes to prove you know you realised yourself and Balltrap were being dicks toward the laddie...

I stand by every word I said, I said it offering advise, I sincerely hope Tom has the talent, drive, money and luck to follow his Olympic Dream. There is however no point blowing smoke up his arse that it will be easy. He asked for feedback, he got some very good advise, his deletion of his post shows he's young and not ready to take on the world on his own yet. He will need to learn to take regection, harsh comments, piss taking old farts, wins, losses and bounce back stronger every time or he won't realise his Olympic Dream!!!

Big +1.

Hypocrites spring to mind. Its like their the font of all knowledge --- NOT. Then attack everyone else who was constructive or agree with them. Kind of running with the foxes hunting with the hounds thing. Getting worse as well. Lot of good contributors gone. Its like Pinky and Perky with too much time on there hands.

I did indeed delete a post having re-read the whole thread and having changed my mind about the way the young lads post was handled by all (including me) I should have included a reason for the edit which I have now done. I did not read his original post as asking for feedback, I didn't and still don't understand what he wanted from the forum.

I also stand by what I have said and will say no more on the subject.

regards

ian

I did indeed delete a post having re-read the whole thread and having changed my mind about the way the young lads post was handled by all (including me) I should have included a reason for the edit which I have now done. I did not read his original post as asking for feedback, I didn't and still don't understand what he wanted from the forum.

I also stand by what I have said and will say no more on the subject.

regards

ian
It was fairly obvious what he wanted in his original post, Ian. He wanted to promote his social media pages, his shooting and also looking for help/guidance in his ambition to be the best he can be in the shooting world. 

hopefully, he has found some of the comments on this site helpful but if I was him, I would probably just seek out a couple of mentors close to home and let the shooting do the talking...

Best of luck to him and hope to see him on a medal podium in the future. Then he can put two fingers up to the doubters...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did indeed delete... I did not read his original post as asking for feedback, I didn't and still don't understand what he wanted from the forum.

regards

ian
Ian, as mentioned, it was blatantly obvious what he wanted from the forum...transparent...crystal clear...anyone posting on a forum, by very definition of a forum, is looking for feedback!!!

Tom is a great young shooter. Shame he deleted the original posts really. He is only 14-15 I think so maybe took the feedback the wrong way.

edit

deleted the like due to having re-read the whole thread and having the balls to admit I was wrong.
How can you have re-read it when it was all deleted, if you had the balls to admit you are wrong you should have left your deleted post up and added "I was Wrong" the edit.

How can you have re-read it when it was all deleted, if you had the balls to admit you are wrong you should have left your deleted post up and added "I was Wrong" the edit.
there you go. Done.

ps

I re-read the contents of the replies. Now stop being a dick.

wtf is your problem. I am no bully quite the opposite. I have explained that I replied without the knowledge that the OP was a juvenile. When I realised this and read some of the"feedback" given by some others I considered that we handled it badly. You can agree or you can be happy and proud that the young (14 year old apparently) probably felt saddened and humiliated and deleted his posts (I don't blame him) because of how we handled it. If your happy to act that way to a child on a public platform then good for you BUT I am not happy about it and I am man enough to admit my part in it.

I'll put my moderators hat on here...

This topic is getting a little out of hand. Please folks, let's not get into name calling or making silly accusations against each other. Disagree by all means but keep it pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back