12 or 20 bore

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went for the 28" barrels.  Now I'm thinking maybe I should have gone for 30", although trying someone else's 682E with 30" barrels a couple of weeks ago felt very strange.

I wish I'd picked 28" barrels. The balance of my gun is shocking.
Brownings are often muzzle heavy, especially if the stock is shortened. Cut up a couple of cartridges, tip the pellets into a little freezer bag, remove butt pad and shove the lead bag in to the stock.

Brownings are often muzzle heavy, especially if the stock is shortened. Cut up a couple of cartridges, tip the pellets into a little freezer bag, remove butt pad and shove the lead bag in to the stock.
4/5 oz fishing weight would probably make more of an impression and it's the right sort of shape, easy to trim a bit off too.

I know not of this fishing magic, of which you speak. But sounds good. :)
post-29-0-15161300-1401313364.jpeg

Attachments

• images-3.jpeg
    images-3.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 0
Do you have any idea what you are letting yourself in for? Encouraging your wife to shoot? Are you mad? Twice the expense, no more Sundays with your mates, your shooting going to pot because you are helping her all the time. Two bacon sarnies and two coffees! Do what I did and stuff two 36gms down the spout of a AYA No3 and let her fire it. Mine hasn't fired a shot since and I've had a lovely 25 years with lunch ready on the table when I get home from shooting.

I had someone set the balance to be "right". It took filling the stock with lead. It was great for getting used to the new right-handed cast stock adjustment, but my arms were getting tired after five pairs. I lift weights so I could manage it, but it would have been a bit rubbish on the sim day. It also made me slower to set up at skeet and there were complaints made. Gun is currently with the gunsmith and the lead should be out by now. I'll see how I go.

I would recommend a 20 gauge gas gun and have it fitted by someone who knows how to fit women.  The 7/8 oz 20 load gives up little to 1oz. in a 12, and a gas gun will cut down measurably on the recoil.  An earlier poster recommended the new CG offering for women.  I understand they will be coming out with an auto.

Do you have any idea what you are letting yourself in for? Encouraging your wife to shoot? Are you mad? Twice the expense, no more Sundays with your mates, your shooting going to pot because you are helping her all the time. Two bacon sarnies and two coffees! Do what I did and stuff two 36gms down the spout of a AYA No3 and let her fire it. Mine hasn't fired a shot since and I've had a lovely 25 years with lunch ready on the table when I get home from shooting.
The country wisdom is   never teach a woman how to shoot or swim

Maybe I'm just a wimpy dude but I have had an affection for 28" barreled guns for some time now.  I suppose the "vintage" Mirage pigeon gun that adopted had a lot to do with that.  And on the + side the long barrel fad has made for some impressive buys on the shorter barreled guns!!  I do have 75cm (29.5") barrels for the four that I shoot the most but the 28's just seem to get more use.  I've def noticed that barrel length and scores have no correspondence in my little world.

but that could just be me and my limited abilities

Charlie

The country wisdom is   never teach a woman how to shoot or swim
I feel sorry for my poor husband.  I've always been able to swim faster than him and recently it's been becoming a more frequent event for me to hit more clays than him (although I wouldn't say I'm a better shot as I'm less consistent in my scores).

As a tiny person I can speak from a bit of experience here. Get whatever she feels happiest with - she can always change at a later date. If she wants a 20 get her a 20. Force a 12 on her and she may end up hating it and not bothering.

Don't forget that when you are learning you will be holding the gun for a much longer period of time, if a 12 is too heavy then start with the 20 and muscles will develop that will enable her to take on the 12 at a later date.

In 7 years I have tried many different 12 bores and have hated them all, the 20 feels much more natural to me (that was until last week when I tried 2 different 12s and loved them both - time to actual take up this crazy sport I think!!)

Back