1/2 Day Coaching @ Fauxdegla

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB1

Took the day off to get some coaching at Fauxdegla, really nice grounds (although I havent been to many!). My second day with Arnold Cliffe, had another good one.

Began the day with some skeet & a Miruko 800 sporter. Did not get on with it at all. Found I kept lifting my head off the stock, which I hadnt done with the trap gun from the previous lesson. Kind of a frustrating start. Entirely my own fault, not the gun, but I found it just didnt suit me like the trap stock.

So we put that back in the car & got the 682 I used the last day. Straight away things improved but still missed plenty of skeet. Its a very hard discipline.

Shot a round of compact sporting next, 14/25. Happy enough with that. Missed 4/5 battue's & all five rabbits, so that was the bulk of my misses. Pretty happy other than that, but the rabbits were frustrating. Practiced a few more after the round, and found a way to finally get in front of it enough. So I'll get a few of them next day.

Had a bit to eat then shot two rounds of DTL, which is what I plan to do competition-wise for a while. Shot 21 (with maybe 6 2nd barrels) & then a much better 22. After 3 early misses & maybe 3 2nd barrels on 1 & 2, I shot 15 straight 1st barrels on 3-5. Very happy with that.

I had been closing the gun, mounting it, then shifting my weight backward & forward, moving my elbows & arms, pointing at the trap house, moving my glasses back up onto my nose, then re-mounting. Leaning back caused my balance wasnt right, then leaning too far forward on the next shot, so my back heel was off the ground by 3". A bit of a mess.

So Arnold got me to adjust my specs (normal glasses, which slip down my nose constantly!) first, sort my feet out, then lean forward, look out at my hold point, THEN lock the gun and move it smoothly to my shoulder, looking forward the whole time. I was calling for the bird maybe 3 seconds later (previous method was taking 10-12 seconds of faffing about). Doing all the same actions, but in a correct & Much smoother operation. Doing all my thinking before mounting the gun, then just shooting, with no thinking! Made a big difference. I still need to get onto the birds a bit faster and just stay relaxed and in the routine.

Arnold is a great coach, really good advice, encouraging, loads of experience, good hints & tips and loads of funny anecdotes! Highly recommend.

Going back to Fauxdegla next Sunday 18th with Arnold and some of his other students (is students correct?) for 100 DTL, my first in several years (since I first got into shooting, back using my Baikal game gun in Ireland when I was 18. Only 7years but feels a long time). My previous best is 68 kills I think so I will be aiming to beat that, maybe not going to get 100 (or even any 25's) but should sneak into the low 80s if I keep it together. But just going to relax & enjoy it at this stage. Cant wait!  :biggrin:   :biggrin:   :biggrin:

Also (jeez this is a long post), got my SG cert earlier this week, so looking for a gun. I've been using Arnolds 1983 Beretta 682, fixed choke trap gun, 30". If any one has an original 682 for sale from this period fitting that description, please pm me. I'll put a post in the buy n sell section here also.

Good review Bob.... sounds like you have found a coach that suits you!

Yep Matt, its working well. Enjoying the lessons. We're working through (lots of) little issues in my shooting and Im learning loads. Money well spent

Welcome BoB and well done. It looks you are on your way up the learning curve.

Regarding glasses,more expense but get some that sit high on your face so that you do not look through the top rim which can cause distortions.

Good luck and enjoy.

Vic.

This is 30mins from me, just wondered what the cost is for the 1/2 day?

Welcome BoB and well done. It looks you are on your way up the learning curve.

Regarding glasses,more expense but get some that sit high on your face so that you do not look through the top rim which can cause distortions.

Good luck and enjoy.

Vic.
Cheers Vic, yes glasses were something we discussed over lunch. My regular glasses are quite narrow, and slip on my nose alot. Maybe a few weeks, I will fork out for a prescription shooting pair. I was definately looking through the rim & over the glasses entirely at times yesterday.

I've heard that York guns are a good crowd for prescription lenses, might go see them

Cheers Vic, yes glasses were something we discussed over lunch. My regular glasses are quite narrow, and slip on my nose alot. Maybe a few weeks, I will fork out for a prescription shooting pair. I was definately looking through the rim & over the glasses entirely at times yesterday.

I've heard that York guns are a good crowd for prescription lenses, might go see them
@EdLyons is the best in the business :)  

This is 30mins from me, just wondered what the cost is for the 1/2 day?
Arnold charges £100 for 1/2 day (Half a day might be from 11am until 3.30pm, something like that). That includes his coaching, and use of his gun (although you prob have your own). Also usually includes lunch, if I get a certain score or hit a particular target.

Clays are separate (I have spent £65 & £45 on clays there on the last two days out) and cartridges are separate. You can bring your own, or Arnold brings them, £5 per box.

So its about £200 total between everything, but it is worth it IMO. I plan to have 1 half day maybe every 6 weeks, something like that. And practice in between then.

(Arnold isnt based at Fauxdegla, hes independent. He coachs there and a couple of other North West grounds.)

Fauxdegla is a great place to shoot and has some very interesting targets shall we say, plus as much trap stuff as you need.

I have had a couple of sessions there with Brian Clegg and cannot fault the coaches or facilities in anyway at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back