Tired eyes ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

I wear varifocal glasses but it is really mainly for reading. I have a very slight correction for long distance but it is only slight. Anyway I don't wear them when shooting however the other week after I finished shooting I packed away my kit and put my glasses on and went down to the stand to watch the last rounds... surprised to see a lot more with my glasses on! Is this likely to have been because my eyes were tired and the glasses helped them out or should I be wearing them when shooting. It was not a huge difference just like you were doing a fine focus on a microscope the image just seemed that little bit sharper. It is coming one two years since my eyes were tested though maybe they have changed a bit ? Should I try wearing my glasses under my shooting glasses or are varifocals dodgy for shooting?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check with Ed, but you could just get some lenses made up for distance only, no need for varifocals.

I wear my driving glasses under my Pilla's, as I haven't found the spare cash for the RX insert yet

Do you need the varifocal part when shooting? If not just get some prescription insert shooting glasses.  You could ask someone else to read your card for you..

Like you my eyes are not perfect, but they're not 'bad' for their 49 years. I do wear glasses to shoot in and they have prescription lenses in them and were supplied by the humble Specsavers. They are distance only which means I take them off between stands to check my card etc.

I think this whole thing depends on how 'poor' your eyes are....I've never had a test with Ed Lyons but everyone recommends him highly so I'm sure he does a first class job. 

I know by looking at my prescription my eyes aren't too bad for my age and the prescription is mild so for me a simple (but decent) test and prescription lenses in an appropriate frame have really helped my shooting. If my eyes deteriorate or other issues materialise then I'd probably look for more detailed and thorough examination and corrective action.  

Having just had my first pair of varifocals for 'daily' use I certainly wouldn't entertain them for shooting.....distance prescription only for me as far as shootings concerned. 

Varifocals are the work of the devil. Hideous spatial awareness issues; like looking through a bloody kaleidoscope. Never never. As above, get a simple distance prescription for shooting.

As for the real world, I canned the evil varifocals in favour of bifocals. Distance prescription with small area at bottom centre of lenses for close stuff. Works for me!

I wear Varifocals all the time - I only have a slight prescription for distance but it does make a difference.

I used to wear Pilla's with a prescription insert but couldn't get on with them - looking through 2 lenses = 4 x visual distortion - my scores took a right bashing - once I took the insert out I was back on target immediately !! Personally I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. 

I have since bought 2 pairs of Ziess shooting glasses from Optilabs - Red & Target Orange - In hindsight I wish I had bought Randoplh Rangers with interchangeable coloured prescription lenses but the Ziess are very good. 

It is all personal, but I agree, I hated pilla inserts for the reason you mention. I would recommend dedicated prescription shooting glasses; even if they are as unflattering as the ones I wear..

I wear Varifocals all the time - I only have a slight prescription for distance but it does make a difference.

I used to wear Pilla's with a prescription insert but couldn't get on with them - looking through 2 lenses = 4 x visual distortion - my scores took a right bashing - once I took the insert out I was back on target immediately !! Personally I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. 

I have since bought 2 pairs of Ziess shooting glasses from Optilabs - Red & Target Orange - In hindsight I wish I had bought Randoplh Rangers with interchangeable coloured prescription lenses but the Ziess are very good. 
I also went for two pairs of Zeis from Optilabs and they are great, just not exactly high fashion. 

Where can you get prescription Randolph Rangers from out of interest?

I also went for two pairs of Zeis from Optilabs and they are great, just not exactly high fashion. 

Where can you get prescription Randolph Rangers from out of interest?
There's an Opticain near Barnsley (I think) who does them - a couple of guys I know have lenses made by him for the RR's I'll get the name & location when I seen them next. Very good service & not too expensive by all aconites. 

There's an Opticain near Barnsley (I think) who does them - a couple of guys I know have lenses made by him for the RR's I'll get the name & location when I seen them next. Very good service & not too expensive by all aconites. 
Great - thank you. 

I live in Harrow Middlesex - anyone know where would be the closest stockist for Pilla glasses for me to try a variety of lenses?

Latest posts

Back