Any A400 Xcel users out there....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Hi all,

Just wondering what shells you guys use in your A400 Xcel?

I know these things are supposed to cycle anything from 2 gram to 50 gram but mine will occasionally hang with the 28g Evos I'm using.

I've only had it a few weeks, and ran it in as advised with a few boxes of 32 gram but I still get the occasional failure to eject. When I do get these (maybe 2-3 out of every 100) it almost looks like the fired/unfolded case is too long and gets caught in the breech?

I'm just wondering if I need to use a different shell and if so, wondered what you were finding works well?

Ideally I'd like to atick with the Evos as that's what I use in my 692.

Any thoughts gratefully received with thanks.

Ian.

Hi Iggy.

Only use mine occasionally, but use RC2's or RC Premier fibre and haven't experienced a single jam.

I didn't even use the box of 32g carts supplied with it, so not much help regarding your issues I'm afraid.

Good luck in your quest.

Lew

I only shoot 24gms through mine and I have no problems at all.

Do you lubricate the action bars where they go over the trigger?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, I do oil (lightly...maybe too lightly?) the 2 x action bars/rails that run throuigh the action.

I keep reading how these things will cycle anything, but mines had about 400 x 28g shells through it now plus a box or two of 32g at the start, but I'm still getting a handful at every shoot that dont eject - the bolt comes back with the spent shell but it doesnt get ejected and just gets fouled up as the new shell from the magazine is trying to load? 

Ive been thinking about taking it back to the dealer to go back to GMK, but as its an auto I keep telling myself it just needs to 'run in a bit more' etc and just wondered if it was being excacerbated by the brand of shell Im using?

I hope it doesnt have to go back, as if it does it'll be the second new Beretta Ive bought in the last two year perioed and both have been back to be put right...it does'nt exaclty fill one with confidence...

Ian.

The action bar needs lubricating on the shiny parts where the paint has worn off.

Does the extractor move freely, that needs a drop of oil where it pivots.

I ran mine in by just cocking and closing it and have not had any failure at all and I only shoot 24 gm.

Did you remove all the protective grease before you  first shot it?

Hi iggy, I spray the action and all the moving bits with silicon spray ( available at most hardware stores) after I have cleaned the gun,

Never had a problem since with any cartridge including the evo's, try it you'll be amazed

Cheers guys.

I did strip the gun when I bought it and got rid of all the obvious gunk, by put perhaps I left some behind? Having said that, if you are spraying fairly liberally with a silicone oil then I suspect I'm running mine a bit too dry.

Interesting how I've only shot Gamebore cartridges so far and it's these I'm having issues with.....maybe it needs a better oiling and that'll sort it.

I do like the gun very much though and really enjoy shooting with it, just hope I can get this ironed out to take away that slight hesitation I'm feeling before shooting the second target.

Thanks again,

Ian.

Hi all,

Just thought I'd update you as I'm still having some issues with the Excel, which is a shame as it really seems to suit me and (by my standards) I've been shooting well with it.

Thinking it might be Gamebores it doesn't get along with I bought a slab of Lyalvale Power Reds on Saturday and used them at Oskedge yesterday. First two stands straighted, not a hiccup....then 4 jams on stand 3 which really messed about with my concentration. I applied drop or two of Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil onto the bolt and rails and carried on, and only had a few more failures to eject the rest of the round but I still had 8 or 9 failures out of 100 shells.

The other thing I noticed when I got home and started to clean it was a couple of chunks of the blue finish had come off from the area where the cocking handle slides back. I don't know if this is normal or not or maybe if it's in some way connected to the intermittent failure to eject?

I've spoken to the dealer and GMK both of whom are happy to have it back and get it looked at, I'm just a bit undecided about sending it back - knowing my luck they'll have it a fortnight and it'll work flawlessly.....

I must say I'm a bit miffed about the blue finish shipping off....it's less than two months old with under 500 shells through it, so I dread to think what it'll look like in yo year or two. I've attached a photo of the chipped blue finish, so if anyone has any thoughts or comments they would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ian.

post-316-0-87681800-1408375495.jpg

post-316-0-68392000-1408375511.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
I'd be very surprised if they are chips in the finish. The hard anodising used is normally very resilient (we use the same on our paintball markers so I have a little experience of it). The nature of the marks would make me believe that it's caused by a part rubbing against it; presumably the cocking lever.

Thanks Nick,

The two marks are definately bits of finish that chipped off yesterday, and like you I can only assume these have been caused by the rearward travel of the cocking lever during cycling.

I know its a machine and parts are rubbing together under pressure etc, it seems odd to me this should be happening and I'm wondering if this and the intermittent failurs to eject are in some way connected. I'd be interested to know if the same is happeneing to anyone elses or if its just mine?

I hope it doesnt have to go back, it wouldnt be a great endorsement for the brand...two new Berettas in the last 18 months and both have to go back to GMK to be made to work....mmmm....

I've never had any chips on mine but I did exchange it last week for a very nice 391. It's far better for me as there is less recoil and the trigger pull is much lighter.

With regards to the chips in the finish, I do not think that I would be too happy about those. I have a 391 that has had thousands of rounds through it and a 303 that is knocking on a bit, but neither have any damage to the finish around the ejector port, or anywhere else really. I am  careful with my guns but the 391 has led a hard life and was not new at purchase. This reminds me a bit of the problems that arose with the Stonecoat finish that Beretta would never accept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I must agree in that I'm not happy about the finish coming off. I know it doesn't affect the way the gun operates etc, etc but at best it's unsightly at worst if (and when) I do come to sell it further down the line, it'll be an excuse to knock me down.

Something's not right somewhere not only with my gun but also Berettas QC it would appear....

hi mike ,what cartridges did you use with your xcel and did you have any issues with jamming ?

br dave 
I only shoot 24gm, using Express when I have to use fibre, I use 24gm Trust most of the time, I tried these when my supplier had no RC's in stock and was quite suprised how good they were.

I think that I have only ever had one failure to feed through my 400.

I only shoot 24gm, using Express when I have to use fibre, I use 24gm Trust most of the time, I tried these when my supplier had no RC's in stock and was quite suprised how good they were.

I think that I have only ever had one failure to feed through my 400.
That's just showing off ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two friends who have been shooting these guns for over a year without a problem on a variety of cartridges. Suddenly one of the guns is playing up especially with Eley First 28gm plastic!

I had a similar problem on my AL 391 urika2 when I first had it but a twist of the carrier solved the problem.

I would be inclined to send your gun back to GMK it should be working faultlessly.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

Having slept on it, I've decided to send it back to GMK via the dealer. I've followed all the instructions and it should work faultlessly, PLUS after just 500 rounds the finish shouldnt be coming off a brand new gun.

I've done a fair bit of searching on the web and most owners say they've put 1000's of rounds through themn without issues or signs of wear, so something's not quite right with mine. 

I know the £1400 price tag is'nt excessive by todays standards, but I've still had to earn it, so I think its fair to want it as it should be......I just hope I don't end up having a fight with them over the finish coming off, with them citing 'fair wear and tear' etc...

Such a shame really, the gun feels right and I'm shooting well with it (by my standards)....

Latest posts

Back