Miroku MK38 Grade 5 Trap Invictus Multi-Choke vs Fixed 3/4 / Full

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one

• MK38 Grade 5 Invictus Multi-Choke (Steel Proofed)

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • MK38 Grade 5 Fixed 3/4 & Full (Not Steel Proofed)

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Cherhill7777

I’m interested in buying the legendary MK38 Grade 5 Trap for clay shooting. I note that the latest Miroku MK38 Grade 5 Traps now come with Invictus chokes. I’m guessing this is because of the future with the Steel shot coming. My question is; should I buy the classic 3/4 & Full and get it Teagued, and worry about getting it steel proofed later down the line. Or buy the new Invictus choked steel proofed version. (It’s the balance of the gun I’m thinking more about) I don’t want a muzzle heavy MK38. Which new gun should I buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy a Browning Trap One instead of a grade 5 Miroku. The Browning will shoot steel , multi choked, adjustable trigger and the stock is a lot stronger than the fragile grade 5 wood which will more than likely break sometime.

The barrels are very different . The original MK38 trap has 70 mm chambers and short forcing cones . It shoots both plastic and fibre well  clay loads and heavy game loads no issue , I’ve hsd one Teague converted . I’ve shot a 38 sport and the invectior  choke barrels on that gun feel ponderous by comparison .  The Teague conversion does not change the 38 trap’s feel.
I’ll happily shoot standard steel loads through my non steel proofed gun .  Any gun that is nitro proofed will shoot the standard steel  However as Teague have to send the gun to the proof house for retesting after conversion nowadays, you might as well get it steel proofed . Teague recommend a maximum half choke with steel . 

With respect to Gd 5 stocks being weak . there have been reports of some cracking , however  stocks can crack on any gun . I’ve got two Gd 5 Mirokus , nice straight wood through the grips  and both have been cast , if they were going to crack , that would have been the time .  The 38 had been shot heavily for 6 years .

At the end of the day no one can tell you what to buy , you’ll make the decision on what feels best to you . 

Latest posts

Back