Wylye Valley - Sunday 8th Jan 2012

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSkeet2

Bob, Wendy, Hazel, Andy and myself met up this morning at Wylye, very friendly welcome and fantastic food.  Breakfast done we booked on and headed out onto the course. The weather was perfect, shame my shooting wasn't ;)   It was a very testing shoot with scores down across the board, Alex Cobb's 92 was High Gun when we left and several AA scores in the 70's.  That said it was a challenging course but nothing that wasn't hittable, no stupid 80 yard stuff; rangy yes but not silly. My scores were all over the place, moments of complete and utter "Why do I do this" to the highlights of a tricky bird into the sun followed by a crosser where I hit 7ex8 :)  I really like Wylye despite it being a 190 mile round trip for me, friendly staff, very few no birds, breakdowns etc.  The most important thing being hittable birds. I finished on a 38 but was trying new approaches, gun up, gun down and other bits and pieces and missed some easy birds and mullered some others.  Looking at the scores overall and with 2 blanks I'm quite happy with that, I learnt a lot and overall had a great day out with friends :)  I can't remember the other scores: Bob: 67 i thinkAndy: ?Wendy: ?Me: 38 Jon.

Nice shooting Bob, and good work Jon - keeping the work rate up will pay dividends.Looking forward to Wylye next week for our FITASC taster with Ian.

Nice work, Sometimes you need to take a dip in scores when trying new things, it will pay off in the end Jon, its a marathon not a sprint this sporting lark /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I found it tough today, not shooting my best, but the targets were tricky I thought. It seemed that scores were generally down, although there were no really hard birds. They all looked easily hittable, just couldn't do it on the day. Also looking forward to the Fitasc taster next week, Ian thought he may put it on the pool shoot area, and if he keeps the same targets as I saw today, we could have a few challenges.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed yourself Jon. Keep burning the powder and it will come right in the end. High Gun today was Will Thatcher on 95 with Richard King leading AA with 94.Ray Hillyer won A with 88, Stan Wheeler won B with 76 and Keith Fentiman won C with another 76.Amanda Gallagher won the Ladies with a 71, George Parsons the Vets with 84 and Luke Elliott the Juniors with 85. Altogether a really nice day with lots of smiley faces and beautiful weather to boot. Total prize fund was just under a £1000 so loads of fat envelopes travelling up and down the A303. Practice is every Thursday and Saturday with a FITASC taster this coming Saturday. Next registered shoot Jan 29th. Be pleased to see you. 

Fuz,  Completely agree re it being a marathon. The number of changes I have made to my shooting style, approach, gun etc i'm in the very early stages of having something settled.  I have a Gun, choke, cartridge I'm settled on so now time to put the work in to learn sight pictures, what works for me, what doesn't etc. Ian, great shoot today, really enjoyed it and looking forward to next Saturday for the FITASC taster.  BTW if you come across anyone after A cheap Baikal OU or a Beretta AL391 Urika Teknys Gold 30" semi let me know as I have them for sale :)  Jon.

JonHow much you asking for you AL391? how long is the barrel? On another note I have given Matt £5 to give to you when you meet up at Wylye for the Fitasc I owe you the money  as you kindly sourced a safety plug for the chamber of my semi auto, thanks very much it is far better than the fiddly bloody flags I was using before Regards David B.

It's in the ashtray of my car Jon - remind me on Saturay.

hmm always good if you read what people write I think !!! sorry Jon I see the 391 has a 30 inch barrel ignore my question obviously!!

Latest posts

Back