Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot the Classic today, shot an average 61 on the red was going really well on the blue until stand 7 when my gun decided to pack in.

Had to shoot the rest of it with a borrowed semi-auto, which is a polar opposite to my gun and took me three stands to get somewhere near used to it but dropped 8 in those three stands so the damage was done, I did finish strongly though only missing 3 over the last 4 stands to finish on 59.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic for me today, good shoot and ran quite smoothly.  Lacklustre performance from me, poor on blue and then dismal on red.  Don’t know why so bad but I was.  Only one criticism and that was stand one on red where the ref jokingly asked if we had our stilettos on and stood on the bench to see the targets.  I simply couldn’t see the second target, I was too short.  
When are these course setters ever going to learn? It's not as if it's once in a while this happens, it's nearly every shoot we go to.  Can the refs not say anything before the shoot starts? Thing is, if that happens on one of the first stands I end up carrying it around with me getting more and more p****d off because everyone thinks we are all 6 ft tall and it ends up completely ruining my shoot.  

I've often said that the setters should carry something around with them that is 4 ft something (I'm 4'11") crouch down so they are at that eye level, call "pull" and see if they can see the target clearly.  Rant over, hopefully Barrow will be kind to us shorties tomorrow. 

When are these course setters ever going to learn? It's not as if it's once in a while this happens, it's nearly every shoot we go to.  Can the refs not say anything before the shoot starts? Thing is, if that happens on one of the first stands I end up carrying it around with me getting more and more p****d off because everyone thinks we are all 6 ft tall and it ends up completely ruining my shoot.  

I've often said that the setters should carry something around with them that is 4 ft something (I'm 4'11") crouch down so they are at that eye level, call "pull" and see if they can see the target clearly.  Rant over, hopefully Barrow will be kind to us shorties tomorrow. 
Yes first stand out so it made me a bit cross.   Thing is I’ve spoken to Bob about this and I have to say he took it on board and it’s been a while down there for this but it was just impossible for me so three targets gone straight away.  Also on the blue course, a going away bird which disappeared really quick because I couldn’t see over the brow of the incline whereas Tony had longer.  Stood back as far as I could but had to try quick to get it.

Hi Sian

Sorry  about that when we set it we kneel down to check the visibility, all i can think is the wind must have pushed it down.

regards

Bob

Hi Sian

Sorry  about that when we set it we kneel down to check the visibility, all i can think is the wind must have pushed it down.

regards

Bob
Hi Bob,  the breeze did get up, Alex Dalgleish was stood behind me and didn’t see my first one at all and he’s taller than me.  Just unlucky.  Going to start carrying my own step 😂

I’m 7ft 6in tall,totally p..ssed off with having to duck on low fast driven.

Yes first stand out so it made me a bit cross.   Thing is I’ve spoken to Bob about this and I have to say he took it on board and it’s been a while down there for this but it was just impossible for me so three targets gone straight away.  Also on the blue course, a going away bird which disappeared really quick because I couldn’t see over the brow of the incline whereas Tony had longer.  Stood back as far as I could but had to try quick to get it.
Was visible yesterday from a 5'4" person.  Doesn't mean I could hit it though!

Was the going away most of the way back up (might have been Stand 10 I think)?  Hated that as well.

Was visible yesterday from a 5'4" person.  Doesn't mean I could hit it though!

Was the going away most of the way back up (might have been Stand 10 I think)?  Hated that as well.
Well it wasn’t for me but you have 4” on me.  Not saying I would have either but I would have liked to have tried at least.   Stand 10 was just annoying because I had to hit it like Chris Childerhouse would and that’s not my style of shooting, got a few.

It really is annoying to read comments like this about poor target setting. If a target changes due to adverse weather conditions , it should be a relatively easy matter to get onto a radio to the management and have the targets reset. You pay to shoot a hundred ,so you should be able to see them and address them.

Obviously in the South you accept low targets to match your low standards.🤣

It really is annoying to read comments like this about poor target setting. If a target changes due to adverse weather conditions , it should be a relatively easy matter to get onto a radio to the management and have the targets reset. You pay to shoot a hundred ,so you should be able to see them and address them.

I must admit, Bob at Southdown is a good course setter and this doesn’t happen much there at all but it is still frustrating when it does happen, not just there but at any ground.  In my opinion, everyone shooting, not just top shots, should be able to see and have a shot st every target. We all pay the same money so should be equal for all.  

Well it wasn’t for me but you have 4” on me.  Not saying I would have either but I would have liked to have tried at least.   Stand 10 was just annoying because I had to hit it like Chris Childerhouse would and that’s not my style of shooting, got a few.
I am a little taller, but it was very still (and misty) on Friday morning when I shot, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't being pushed down more by wind.  It was still very low over the hedge and I wasn't able able to get on it quick enough to connect with it.  

A rare day off from shooting for me I think.  Thursday before last I managed to get through 450 cartridges in a day with Mr Solomon and I've been struggling with a sore neck since.  Yesterday at Kigscote, as soon as I took the first shot it flared up into a massive headache that got worse every time I pulled the trigger.  Think it may be a trapped nerve so I'm going to rest it for a while.

I must admit, Bob at Southdown is a good course setter and this doesn’t happen much there at all but it is still frustrating when it does happen, not just there but at any ground.  In my opinion, everyone shooting, not just top shots, should be able to see and have a shot st every target. We all pay the same money so should be equal for all.  
There's plenty of sky to use at every ground , the art of course setting is using it entertainingly with interesting variation ??? way too many targets floor bound to catch shooters out ?? 

There's plenty of sky to use at every ground , the art of course setting is using it entertainingly with interesting variation ??? way too many targets floor bound to catch shooters out ?? 
Southdown is known for putting on lots of low targets and stuff that is below your feet, the topography suits it.

Owls with Bunter, Tiptopper joined us for a merry gang of three, had a nightmare start on some close quick targets, that apart had a very pleasant morning / early afternoon out. Mr Myers 99 was 9 clear when we left, staggering score.

oh on leaving a few young chaps looked at rolling screen and one commented “99 must be easy” having dug deep to save face must say on that course nothing could be further from truth, now wondering how these chappies got on
Well shot Richie...71 third in C class, you ol' bagger you. :yes:

Sunday went off to Barbury.  Very good shoot I thought, tough in places.  Thought my score was really bad until I looked at the rest.  Stupid misses like the second bird on the first stand which I found and then lost three times cost me the leeway you need for the more challenging ones.  Simply not enough attention given.  Then went on to Horne for a second shoot for the day.  

Hmmmm..........so just remind us all of the shoots that you have set ??..........after speaking with Owain & family he cant remember any either !!!

Classic for me today, good shoot and ran quite smoothly.  Lacklustre performance from me, poor on blue and then dismal on red.  Don’t know why so bad but I was.  Only one criticism and that was stand one on red where the ref jokingly asked if we had our stilettos on and stood on the bench to see the targets.  I simply couldn’t see the second target, I was too short.  
I to shot the Classic badly 😥😥

The second target was getting pushed down sometimes and one bloke bigger than me asked where it was from our vantage point,most were a bit higher.

It was still a fairly challenging target as were many,the last stand in the field on the blue course killed me and i have discovered i don't like slow incomers

Phil Moss ,

It is very tiresome your continuous doubting of my ability .

I have been  employed by many good grounds over many years , perhaps you are too young to remember The Original White Gold Cup that toured Great Britain before having finals at Weston Park . Perhaps you cannot  remember British and English at Shugborough or Doveridge  where along with course setters Brian Goring  and Mick Howells I gave my time and experience gladly without having to blow a bugle .

I reserve the right to comment if competitors don't get value for money and are disadvantaged by poor presentations , and I will repeat  " It should not be hard to get on a radio and have targets reset ."

To Ian Coley esp Reg today. Started off a bit cool even at 12pm but warmed up nicely into a lovely summers afternoon.

I suppose anybody on a crusade against “easy shoots” might have knocked this one, as there was no really nasty target, but plenty of decent ones and the variety was as good as anywhere I’ve seen. Proper teal, driven, overhead away, rabbit, incomers, aways, crossers, loopers, fast quartering, quick sim pair and more, so you had to get through it all. I stuffed a tricky little away in the woods badly; only 15 yards but caught me out three times, which cost me second place. Other misses here and there, ending on 91. Very enjoyable shoot.

Ian Coley yesterday for me as well. As per previous comment, nothing nasty but a few fiddly birds. Was nice to see birds breaking quite well rather than chips, so the shooting is going in the right direction again. The score doesn't really reflect that (76/100) but I felt more relaxed and enjoyed the shoot which is the main thing.

I enjoyed stand 1 which was shot from a bank looking down on a curving raising teal. Interesting target.

Back