Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well today can be erased from my memory.  Won’t ever be going to Orston again.  Apparently pointing out to a ref that the trap he thinks is behind the bank is actually in front of it.   Owner just said in the Cpsa rules refs don’t have to tell you and that was that.  So you can tell me it’s from the left and then send it from the right if you like.   Funny how every other ref seemed to know where their traps were even the youngest.  Got told by the owner “not to spread rumours” which neither of us understood.  Tony didn’t even engage with him so we let him have his say and walked away.  Also got told if we don’t like it to go and shoot Skeet so basically eff off   Didn’t even point out that his overhead was directly in the sun.  Imagine how he would have taken that.  I hear so many shooters complaining about that at Orston.  What’s the point he’s not interested in hearing it.  I know lots of shooters who seem to put up with this attitude from him.  When I went back into the reception even the lady behind the desk agreed with me when I said his manners were lacking!   She apologised for his behaviour!  Didn’t finish the shoot and felt shxt for the next shoot so today is best forgot.  

Well today can be erased from my memory.  Won’t ever be going to Orston again.  Apparently pointing out to a ref that the trap he thinks is behind the bank is actually in front of it.   Owner just said in the Cpsa rules refs don’t have to tell you and that was that.  So you can tell me it’s from the left and then send it from the right if you like.   Funny how every other ref seemed to know where their traps were even the youngest.  Got told by the owner “not to spread rumours” which neither of us understood.  Tony didn’t even engage with him so we let him have his say and walked away.  Also got told if we don’t like it to go and shoot Skeet so basically eff off   Didn’t even point out that his overhead was directly in the sun.  Imagine how he would have taken that.  I hear so many shooters complaining about that at Orston.  What’s the point he’s not interested in hearing it.  I know lots of shooters who seem to put up with this attitude from him.  When I went back into the reception even the lady behind the desk agreed with me when I said his manners were lacking!   She apologised for his behaviour!  Didn’t finish the shoot and felt shxt for the next shoot so today is best forgot.  
Dunno what to say other than it's very rare for someone to ruin your day like that so best just forget and never go back as you have rightly decided, Tony clearly showed class not engaging him. 😎

Dunno what to say other than it's very rare for someone to ruin your day like that so best just forget and never go back as you have rightly decided, Tony clearly showed class not engaging him. 😎
I think the ref thought Tony was having a go at him.  Tony asked twice where the first bird was coming from.  It was hard to tell a black clay against a bank rising.  When he watched me shoot he could then see it was clearly in front of the bank.  Anyhow don’t suppose he liked being told.  Basically something out of nothing but it seems you just have to put up with being told to go elsewhere if you have anything to say. I don’t need to drive 2 hours for that.  Tony didn’t see the point in engaging as he’d already made up his mind we were in the wrong.  No point.

Old Glossop today and thoroughly enjoyed it... Only my third Registered shoot, but my scores have improved each time. Fabulous location, fantastic weather and everyone seemed friendly, so happy days :cool:

My scores aren't going to be troubling anyone here for some time, but I'm pleased with 'em.

I got frustratingly close to straightening two stands - 7/8. Two stands I thought I would hit nothing, but got 3 and 4, but conversely I lost two or three sitting ducks which was a bit annoying, but I'll learn, which is the point! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Daft question - I have a couple of mates who may want to shoot a Registered Sporting at some point, but who aren't CPSA members. Am I correct in thinking this would be no problem, but they could only shoot birds only?

Ta!

Daft question - I have a couple of mates who may want to shoot a Registered Sporting at some point, but who aren't CPSA members. Am I correct in thinking this would be no problem, but they could only shoot birds only?

Ta!
Yes they can shoot at any Reg shoot, except a major such as the English Open etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Longridge, blisteringly hot & rammed busy, melted & fell apart like a cheap watch, not been so up n down for many a shoot, Andy Moon 96 when I left with what looked like all the superstars in attendance 

I’ve been doing some fairly rigorous preparation for Royal Berkshire final tomorrow.lots of lamb off the bbq,washed down with copious quantities of peroni followed by a few G+Ts,and no shooting since last weekend.looking forward to the lunch tomorrow,certainly not free as it took me three attempts to qualify 🤪.

I’ve been doing some fairly rigorous preparation for Royal Berkshire final tomorrow.lots of lamb off the bbq,washed down with copious quantities of peroni followed by a few G+Ts,and no shooting since last weekend.looking forward to the lunch tomorrow,certainly not free as it took me three attempts to qualify 🤪.
I am gutted to turn it down, but I land from hols at 6.30 am at Gatwick tomorrow.. would have been a bit of a rush.. with jet lag and lost sleep

I am gutted to turn it down, but I land from hols at 6.30 am at Gatwick tomorrow.. would have been a bit of a rush.. with jet lag and lost sleep
That’s a shame Will,but yes holidays can be very tiring.🌞🍹🍸😴☺️👍

Saturday showed promise with some fairly tidy shooting at a local shoot. 

Sunday, Westfield, 69.

Monday, Longridge, 68.

I shall be in the garage searching for better bolts for the wheels :)

Saturday showed promise with some fairly tidy shooting at a local shoot. 

Sunday, Westfield, 69.

Monday, Longridge, 68.

I shall be in the garage searching for better bolts for the wheels :)
Can you find me some while you’re there 😂

Where do I sign up for the group buy? J

Shot an extremely shoddy 66 at EJC last Thurs. 1st stand first 2 pairs dead, then miss the last 2. The stands I shot well enough I still let the odd 1 or 2 slip and don’t think I straighted any of them.

Sunday shot Court Farm and a bit more consistent and was looking on for a decent low 80’s score then the wheels feel off and dropped 8 on the last 2 stands. Shot one of the tougher stands (think it was 9) well with a 9/10 and ref said that was the highest score so far and GD had only hit 6 of them. Finished on 75 which was well off the 86 that won A class.

Hopefully I find some form on Thursday at AGL but mostly will just be trying to enjoy the experience of shooting my first major.

I melted down on the little white crosser at Court Farm.  In front of every one of them.  Think I only managed a 5 on Stand 9 (4 of the quartering away and the last incomer).  Managed a 7 on Stand 8 (the one with the mini) and saw a lot of people struggling with that, so that was my positive from the shoot.  Dropped far too many simple ones.  Dropped three rabbits shooting underneath them and 6 teal in total (again, shooting under).  Finished on 66, when I reckon I should have been on mid-70's.

Did even worse at Southdown on Monday with a 56!  First time I've had a score starting with a 5 at a Reg shoot for quite a while.  Lots of gun slowing up going on and the targets there weren't forgiving of that (most needed a fair bit of lead and some gun speed).  Most annoying was to hit the first 3 pairs on Stand 10, which had the longest crosser on the course, then to miss the last pair.  Started thinking about it and as a result of trying to make sure I hit them I must have slowed up a bit.

I've been trying to be a little bit more deliberate about the way I shoot to reduce the number of sloppy misses, but it's not going well at the moment.

I melted down on the little white crosser at Court Farm.  In front of every one of them.  Think I only managed a 5 on Stand 9 (4 of the quartering away and the last incomer).  Managed a 7 on Stand 8 (the one with the mini) and saw a lot of people struggling with that, so that was my positive from the shoot.  Dropped far too many simple ones.  Dropped three rabbits shooting underneath them and 6 teal in total (again, shooting under).  Finished on 66, when I reckon I should have been on mid-70's.

Did even worse at Southdown on Monday with a 56!  First time I've had a score starting with a 5 at a Reg shoot for quite a while.  Lots of gun slowing up going on and the targets there weren't forgiving of that (most needed a fair bit of lead and some gun speed).  Most annoying was to hit the first 3 pairs on Stand 10, which had the longest crosser on the course, then to miss the last pair.  Started thinking about it and as a result of trying to make sure I hit them I must have slowed up a bit.

I've been trying to be a little bit more deliberate about the way I shoot to reduce the number of sloppy misses, but it's not going well at the moment.
Yeah I missed a couple of that white clay. Kept saying to myself just keep my gun on its nose but still kept giving it a gap and going in front. I got all of the Mini’s on 8 convincingly but missed 3 of the midi shooting in front. Finally found it on the last pair. The rest was just sloppy especially 4/10 on the last stand 11 as overheads I don’t normally struggle with.

College Farm today. Chilly and breezy! The course started fairly softly then stepped up generally and featured a couple of monster stands towards the middle and end. I was going fairly well then had a huge screw up on stand 11, missing 5 of 8. Wrecked a good card yet again finishing in 87, which is “OK” but shame to not be in the 90s. 

Back